Iím surprised that I havenít seen anything about Veterans Day - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Sleeper
  • 1 Post By Catpower
  • 1 Post By pro70z28
  • 2 Post By Sleeper
  • 1 Post By Catpower
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-12-2018, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Posts: 5,265
View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Iím surprised that I havenít seen anything about Veterans Day

It has been 50 years since I was in Vietnam and I thought Iíd throw in something for veterans.
This is me in 1968 Vietnam on a purely humanitarian mission to offer First Aid and medicine to the people of this small poor village caught in the crossfire of war. We went out of our way to look friendly and not so terrifying to these people who suffered so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vietnam.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	368199  

Catpower likes this.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sleeper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 11-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Catpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Frognot Texas
Posts: 2,084
View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I was in the tail end of a Buff like in my avatar was young and dumb went in when I was 17, but don't regret a minute of it


I did regret it quit a few times when we were bombing Hanoi during Linebacker II, On Dec 22, 1972 I rode one into the Gulf of Siam, we had gotten hit by a SAM, had a tanker nurse us back to friendly ground when I tried to punch out the explosive bolts didn't work so I was stuck, we made it south of Utopau Thailand, and the crew wanted to ditch it in the water instead of trying to land it on the runway. We were shot up pretty good, I got dinged real good, so I was on morphine from our survival kit, and I figured I could have walked on water, so all the crew except the air craft commander (AC) and I rode it in the water. I barely got out, it was so surreal, like everything was in slow motion, but sped up real fast
Sleeper likes this.

There is no app for experience
Catpower is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 11-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 132
View pro70z28's Photo Album My Photos
Thank You to all who served, so we can do what we do in Freedom.



My Dad was in communications during WWII. My brother served in Thailand as a mechanic during the Viet Nam War & wife's cousin served 2 tours in Iraq.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAD WWII.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	368215  

Sleeper likes this.
pro70z28 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 11-12-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Posts: 5,265
View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
I was in the tail end of a Buff like in my avatar was young and dumb went in when I was 17, but don't regret a minute of it


I did regret it quit a few times when we were bombing Hanoi during Linebacker II, On Dec 22, 1972 I rode one into the Gulf of Siam, we had gotten hit by a SAM, had a tanker nurse us back to friendly ground when I tried to punch out the explosive bolts didn't work so I was stuck, we made it south of Utopau Thailand, and the crew wanted to ditch it in the water instead of trying to land it on the runway. We were shot up pretty good, I got dinged real good, so I was on morphine from our survival kit, and I figured I could have walked on water, so all the crew except the air craft commander (AC) and I rode it in the water. I barely got out, it was so surreal, like everything was in slow motion, but sped up real fast
WOW! That's quite a story. glad you made it back.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sleeper is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 11-12-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Posts: 5,265
View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
Thank You to all who served, so we can do what we do in Freedom.



My Dad was in communications during WWII. My brother served in Thailand as a mechanic during the Viet Nam War & wife's cousin served 2 tours in Iraq.
My dad and my uncles served in WWII, my youngest uncle served in the Korean war, I in Vietnam, and my son served in Iraq going after Saddam and then again in Afghanistan.

Here is a photo of my Uncle and my dad at the end of WWII in Austria
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WWII in Austria.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	368217  

Catpower and pro70z28 like this.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sleeper is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 11-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Catpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Frognot Texas
Posts: 2,084
View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
WOW! That's quite a story. glad you made it back.



It was going pretty smooth, until we hit the water they said we would float for a while, but where I was was below the water line, there had to have been an angel watching over me


I used to have a ton of pics I took when I was in but my sorry a$$ ex took them all


How many GI's do you think could still fit in their uniforms LOL


I know I wouldn't be close, but I am twice the man I used to be LOL
Sleeper likes this.

There is no app for experience
Catpower is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome