Iím officially retired and donít know what to do first - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Cool Iím officially retired and donít know what to do first

Today I had my retirement luncheon with the big bosses and all my coworkers. There were even people that I haven’t seen in years who had moved on and even one of my old bosses that retired years ago. I turned in my laptop, cell phone, keys, work truck and credit cards in exchange for a watch so I guess that means I’m retired.

I have a few things on my bucket list like taking a train from Los Angles to Pittsburgh PA through Chicago, an Alaskan Cruise, and a trip to Vietnam. Except for Vietnam, it’s too cold for anything else so I guess I’m going to take care of some stuff around the house like cleaning and organizing my shop because I don't think I could enjoy myself while my shop is in such disarray.

Its kind of weird but I am the happiest when my shop is clean and organized. Most of the time its a mess especially when I have multiple projects going on.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 01-21-2016, 07:24 PM

View Allman27's Photo Album My Photos
Congratulations! Hopefully 26 more years I'll be retired as well.... First thing I would do is nothing, sleep in with no alarm going off in the morning and see what the day brings you from there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allman27 For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (01-21-2016), Sleeper (01-21-2016)
post #3 of 43 Old 01-21-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman27 View Post
Congratulations! Hopefully 26 more years I'll be retired as well.... First thing I would do is nothing, sleep in with no alarm going off in the morning and see what the day brings you from there.
Well I guess being able to sleep in will be nice, but I recently spent a couple of months in the hospital and not looking forward to sleeping.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 01-21-2016, 08:59 PM

View Kansas Gary's Photo Album My Photos
"I have a few things on my bucket list like taking a train from Los Angles to Pittsburgh PA through Chicago, an Alaskan Cruise, and a trip to Vietnam".

Congratulations on reaching your retirement.......... My suggestion is if you can afford a trip to Vietnam then by golly go for it now.................. When I retired 2 years ago from the Rail Road I took a trip up to the Pacific Northwest that I have always wanted to do....
The Following User Says Thank You to Kansas Gary For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-21-2016)
post #5 of 43 Old 01-21-2016, 09:10 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Congratulations, bud. In fun, I always say "these days, I don't do nothin'...and I don't start that until 10AM"

Heck recently, I missed a few 12 o'clockers!

Good luck. I know how you feel. After 33 years of shift work, it really is nice to sleep in sometimes.

Or be able to work in the shop whenever you feel like it.

Last edited by MT Stringer; 01-21-2016 at 11:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-21-2016)
post #6 of 43 Old 01-21-2016, 09:29 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
short term and long term lists

Short term is today, maybe this week. Long term is before I leave the planet, the bucket list.

Somethings you realize that you have already crossed off somethings on the bucket list, like in my case ridin' the Harley from Coast to Coast and up into Canada... in 3 different trips. Others are buildin' a custom truck from an old rusty 4 X 4 Chevy. which I intend to finish this spring.

Short term is one piece at a time, a little here and there like taking small bites out of the apple. If you don't go to sleep with a plan for the next day, you may not have one, it depends on how you are structured. You may be able to wake up and formulate a plan for the day, if that works for you great!

I've been retired about 16 years and if I don't accomplish something each day, I don't feel good about it. ... even if it's having lunch with a buddy and sharing stories of the good old days at work or accomplishments on the custom truck.

If you have collections they offer fun trips to look for more stuff, better stuff etc. Sometimes it's just nice to go over what you have and reacquaint yourself with the stuff you have. Tools are like that as are knives and firearms. Old photos can be a "trip" back into the past and they stir up memories.

If all you are doing is knocking out "projects" I think it will get tiring or boring, so mix in doing things that are really satisfying. Best to you.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-21-2016 at 09:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-21-2016)
post #7 of 43 Old 01-21-2016, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Gary View Post
Congratulations on reaching your retirement.......... My suggestion is if you can afford a trip to Vietnam then by golly go for it now.................. When I retired 2 years ago from the Rail Road I took a trip up to the Pacific Northwest that I have always wanted to do....
The last I checked it wasn’t too much to go to Vietnam and for me it’s about closing a chapter in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Congratulations, bud. In fun, I tell always say "these days, I don't do nothin'...and I don't start that until 10AM" .....
Oh my 10 o’clock I haven’t slept in that long since I worked the night shift at GM. When I became an electrical contractor I had to be up by 6 AM to take phone calls and make arrangement for the day’s work. Then I took a regular job for an employer in the desert had to be up at 4 AM just to avoid the heat. I don't think I could possibly sleep after 7AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If all you are doing is knocking out "projects" I think it will get tiring or boring, so mix in doing things that are really satisfying. Best to you.
Thanks, I do have some work that needs to be done on my house. I have some remodeling that needs to be finished and I want to paint my 2 story house before I don’t have the strength to do it. Now these are going to be more like a job rather than fun.

JohnnyB
post #8 of 43 Old 01-21-2016, 10:46 PM

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats on the retirement, and a watch to boot.
That would be tossed in the dresser as I would be on my own schedule.
I'm going to have breakfast with my retired brother in law tomorrow who is on his own schedule .......he suggested 10:00 ...shoot I'm up at 4:00 .... I'll probably order lunch.
Sounds like a good bucket list, ridin the rails is on mine too(got 6 or 7 yrs to go, Rats!)

Knot Stumped ...just confused once in a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tree Hugger For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-22-2016)
post #9 of 43 Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 PM
Procrastinator (For now.)

View sweet willy's Photo Album My Photos
When I retired I told everyone and anyone who wanted to know if retirement was all it was cracked up to be. I told them no way - it's a whole lot better than that! Once you get used to the freedom you'll find plenty of things that make you happy. And one word of advice. Even in retirement the little things are still the best things.
Congrats!

No. I only do that when I'm drunk.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweet willy For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-22-2016)
post #10 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats on your retirement!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy this phase of your life more than you thought possible. I look forward to your upcoming posts with your new adventures & creations!!!

Retirement is one thing I'd look forward to if I honestly thought it'd be economically feasible for me.

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
The Following User Says Thank You to Burb For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-22-2016)
post #11 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
If you don't have one, start some sort of exercise program, even if it is just taking a good, fast paced walk every day. Sounds like you were pretty active with your day job, you need to keep that movement going somehow. That will help you stay active and energized for the rest of the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-22-2016)
post #12 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
If you don't have one, start some sort of exercise program, even if it is just taking a good, fast paced walk every day. Sounds like you were pretty active with your day job, you need to keep that movement going somehow. That will help you stay active and energized for the rest of the day.
Thanks, I bought a bicycle a while back and plan on riding it every day into town. Iíll also be taking it to the beach during the summer months at least 2 times a week to ride the boardwalk. It's a bit of a drive to the beach in terrible traffic otherwise I'd be on the beach every day.

JohnnyB
post #13 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Retirement is one thing I'd look forward to if I honestly thought it'd be economically feasible for me.
I've been preparing for this for a long time. There have been a few large bumps in the road, but I think I'm going to be OK.

JohnnyB
post #14 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 10:54 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats on lasting through all the turmoil & chaos of "regular " life! Now begins a new chapter on YOUR schedule. Stay active (mind & body), always plan something to do each day, and keep in touch with those good friends you found in your work era. Plan your work, work your plan, and be safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodchux For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-22-2016)
post #15 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 01:39 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Hey! Welcome to the club! I had a reasonably short list, was determined to do them. I have done none of them at all.
Year 1: repaired all the things around the house that were "just a little bit broken."
Year 2+: got curious about a lot of new/different things that I simply did no have time for while working. Not bothered by it but came to understand that nobody cared what I did for a living. I'm retired and that is that.

woodchux is right. Since the day you were born, some body else has set the pace and the schedule. I'm surprised that it took me a while to understand that. I have a list on the table of things I should do around the house. Maybe tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T. For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-22-2016)
post #16 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 02:56 PM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
Enjoy the adventure you have ahead of you.Things that need to be done will become apparent and the less important matters can be arranged to suit your preferences,not the boss's schedule.
The Following User Says Thank You to fareastern For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-22-2016)
post #17 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Well this is my actual first day without any commitments and I had planned on this to be a productive day, but then I realized that there was no hurry. I went out into the shop made a few cuts on my table saw and then decided I wanted some coffee because it was too cold. While making coffee, I decided to jump on the treadmill for 15 min to warm up and ended up watching World’s Dumbest Criminals for an hour. I usually never watch TV

I’m just now getting ready to go back out to the shop, but I wonder if this is going to be an indication of what’s in store for me. LOL

I had a boss that was almost 80 and way past retirement. When anybody asked him why he was still working, he would say “he doesn’t have anything else to do and was afraid he was going to die if he retired”. He was eventually pretty much forced into retirement and died about 6 months later.

This wasn’t the first person that I knew of that passed away shortly after retirement and I always knew that I need lots of hobbies before retiring.

My brother-in-law retired from the Railroad a few years ago without anything to do at home and decided to get a part time job because it was driving him crazy.

JohnnyB

Last edited by Sleeper; 01-22-2016 at 03:07 PM.
post #18 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 03:47 PM

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah that's why my dad worked till he was 77 ( he's 88 now).
He bought a mountain bike and got rid of the riding lawnmower and went back to a push mower (3/4 acre ) to stay active and in shape.
Must be working ... I think you'll do just fine.

Knot Stumped ...just confused once in a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tree Hugger For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-22-2016)
post #19 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 04:28 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Some people really don't know what to do when they retire. I've met a few of them. Others find part time jobs for the social activity, if nothing else. I'm addicted to learning.

One thing that I did do and it was hard to get started, was to do some tidying up. I had a dozen+ boxes, each would become some sort of electromechical device that interested me. I added parts as I found them. Asked myself: "When, in the rest of your life, are you ever going to mess with this, even if you find all the parts?"
Correct answer: "Never."
All gone now. After 10 years of retirement, I really should do it again. I just discovered a box of hand wound coils and other parts for home-made AM crystal radios. Last district AM station pulled the plug some 6-7 years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T. For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-22-2016)
post #20 of 43 Old 01-22-2016, 04:30 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
like I said ....

It depends on how you are "structured" . Some people need structure to get through life, a schedule, a nine to five job etc. Others don't need that and can self regulate thier day. Everyone wants to be the BOSS, but he's the one who has to think about what needs to be done, usually the day before and keep everyone on track, and it's not easy in some cases.

I think people want to be "useful" and when their usefulness goes away, they lose their purpose in life. That's when there's no need to carry on, and they give up on life. Just my opinion.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (01-22-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode