Hurricane Harvey - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 33Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 08-25-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Hurricane Harvey

Hope all the members in south Texas will be safe when it hits land, we have friends that live in Victoria, that decided to ride it out, now that it is too late they are questioning their plans

We're praying for Y'all
Cowboy18 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-25-2017, 06:09 PM

View Cowboy18's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
Hope all the members in south Texas will be safe when it hits land, we have friends that live in Victoria, that decided to ride it out, now that it is too late they are questioning their plans

We're praying for Y'all

If predictions are correct it will be sitting right over the top of us by tomarrow. Mother natures gonna do what she does, and we'll pickup the pieces. That's just the way it is.
post #3 of 40 Old 08-25-2017, 06:46 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
All the best to you folks down there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy18 View Post
If predictions are correct it will be sitting right over the top of us by tomarrow. Mother natures gonna do what she does, and we'll pickup the pieces. That's just the way it is.
The pieces are likely to be floating around in 3 ft of water. Those folks that decided to stay had no idea that 36" of rain was headed their way, to say nothing of the storm surge and other run off. WOW. It ain't the 130 MPH wind, it's the flood water that will kill ya. :frown2:

The latest weather report is now saying 145 MPH winds Category 4 and a 12 foot flood surge. The rain is supposed to last for up to 3 days. Nothing like this in weather history.... wait! What about Noah and the ARK? Global raining?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-25-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 08-25-2017, 07:56 PM

View dg011's Photo Album My Photos
We have family in Victoria that is refusing to leave. Absolutely frustrating.
post #5 of 40 Old 08-25-2017, 09:13 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

We're praying for Y'all
If it's not already too late, I hope they bought supplies and are prepared to ride it out.
For the next few days they probably will be without power.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 40 Old 08-25-2017, 09:53 PM

Hmmm, long as I don't take a direct hit, or get flooded I'm good to go.

I got chickens and eggs, a garden, 28 different fruit tree's, wild game, mostly Deer, Hogs and Turkey.
5,000 Gallons of water in an above ground holding tank. And 3 generaters with fuel to run them.
Aswell as three months of Freeze Dryed food, not that I'll ever eat that stuff.
Guns and ammo to protect it all.
And the meanest Yanky Farm Girl this side of the Mississipi!

I aint ascared!
Catpower likes this.
post #7 of 40 Old 08-25-2017, 10:50 PM

View Wineshop's Photo Album My Photos
I'm just south of Houston and we're riding it out, also. Tonight won't be too bad here. It's moving in a little south of us. But the next few days with all the rain is going to be the interesting part. It sounds to me like they have no idea which way this thing will go once it comes on land. But we are stocked up on the necessities (water, food, ice, beer and yes, guns and ammo, also) and good to go! Just ready to be done with this nonsense!!
Catpower and Cowboy18 like this.
post #8 of 40 Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
Prayers for the folks down there. I lived in Miami (very flat) when it was hit with 14 inches of rain in 24 hours. 40% of intersections were closed because of flooding. Can't imagine 36 inches of rain in 36 hours.
post #9 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wineshop View Post
I'm just south of Houston and we're riding it out, also. Tonight won't be too bad here. It's moving in a little south of us. But the next few days with all the rain is going to be the interesting part. It sounds to me like they have no idea which way this thing will go once it comes on land. But we are stocked up on the necessities (water, food, ice, beer and yes, guns and ammo, also) and good to go! Just ready to be done with this nonsense!!

I'm 20 miles south of San Antonio along HWY 16 South. So far we haven't seen much rain, just alittle wind. It may be coming but it aint got this far yet.
Catpower likes this.
post #10 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg011 View Post
We have family in Victoria that is refusing to leave. Absolutely frustrating.
My wife talked to our friends there, they are all okay, but beat, they stayed up all night waiting for it to hit, the worst is behind them now
post #11 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 11:59 AM

View dg011's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My wife talked to our friends there, they are all okay, but beat, they stayed up all night waiting for it to hit, the worst is behind them now
Glad they are OK. We called our family first thing in the morning and they made it through the night without any major troubles.
Catpower likes this.
post #12 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 12:10 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Guns and ammo. I love Texans. Stay safe.
post #13 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
Guns and ammo. I love Texans. Stay safe.

I have Been stationed or travelled to 14 countries, and 41 states. And I intend to spend the last of my days here. Folks mostly get along here, and mind they're manners. The gun's are not for look's or sport. I live right between the I35 and I37 smuggling routes out of Mexico. No telling what kind of riff raff could show up on our place on a given night. My'ol girl don't even water the garden without her "Lady Smith Hammerless .38", in her pocket. Snakes also factor into her motives. Being from Michigan she's scared to death of them. It secretly impresses the hell out of me that she can hit them with that short barreled cannon.
Catpower likes this.
post #14 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have Been stationed or travelled to 14 countries, and 41 states. And I intend to spend the last of my days here. Folks mostly get along here, and mind they're manners. The gun's are not for look's or sport. I live right between the I35 and I37 smuggling routes out of Mexico. No telling what kind of riff raff could show up on our place on a given night. My'ol girl don't even water the garden without her "Lady Smith Hammerless .38", in her pocket. Snakes also factor into her motives. Being from Michigan she's scared to death of them. It secretly impresses the hell out of me that she can hit them with that short barreled cannon.
Shes sneaking rat shot rounds in the .38 LOL
Cowboy18 likes this.
post #15 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 03:39 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Don't need to explain things to me. I live back in the hills but still maintain a personal level of fire power that might be considered overkill (pun intended). My little chunk of dirt is surrounded by a 5 foot chain link fence with gated driveway which is closed at night. The property is patrolled by over 250 pounds worth of dogs. If someone gets over the fence, past the dogs, the owner could very well show them they may have made their last mistake. I am old and cantankerous. I hurt and suffering from a terminal disease. From a life's standpoint I have little to lose and I'm heavily armed. A dangerous combination.
woodnthings, Catpower and Cowboy18 like this.
post #16 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 03:53 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I'm just a few miles east of Houston, just off I-10 East. The rain has subsided and everything is draining. There have been reports of tornado damaged on the west side of Houston in several places. For a while, I was worried because the rain was training up from the coast and right over our house. Now it has moved on. Thank goodness.

On a side note, my wife is stuck in Cozumel on a cruise ship. The Port of Houston was closed Thursday and they can't return (or the other ships in port leave) until the Coast Guard reopens the ship channel. They are scheduled to pull out at 6PM today, and possibly head to New Orleans to refuel and restock. This has been her first cruise with family members - daughter, son in law and cousins). One to remember. BTW, they have had good weather the entire time.
post #17 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Shes sneaking rat shot rounds in the .38 LOL

I wouldn't put it past her. She thinks she smarter then me anyhow. When I took her out on the town the night she got her Masters Degree. She leaned over the table and said. "I guess you know now that I have a "Masters Degree, where that puts you in the chain of command". I told her she was an intellectual bigot.
Toolman50, Catpower and Roybrew like this.
post #18 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Yep I can relate, they'd be well served to just leave ol'boys like us the hell alone.
post #19 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 04:37 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
If it's not already too late, I hope they bought supplies and are prepared to ride it out.
For the next few days they probably will be without power.
You know how it goes. People think the weather people will miss it and ignore the weather. Then at the last minute they start thinking about doing something. Last I heard there was people fighting over supplies.

We normally keep a weeks worth of food and bottled water as well as enough can gas to go 300 miles and we don't live anywhere near the coast.
post #20 of 40 Old 08-26-2017, 06:20 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
We in Michigan live by these 2 rules....

Quote:
First, you can't have too much horsepower, either electric or gas. Second, you can't have too much ammo or firepower. When the SHTF, you will want to hunker down in place and fend off the thieves and have not's who didn't plan for the lack of food and fuel, and that's all I'm gonna say 'bout that.

I rarely go anywhere without my Ruger LCR .38 Special also hammerless for shooting right through your pants pocket or jacket should the need arise....... cross draw works well when belted in the truck.
Cowboy18 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode