• 1 Post By NoThankyou
  • 2 Post By homestd
  • 1 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 2 Post By hoowasat

post #1 of 14 Old 07-17-2020, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
how are YOU doing these days ?

how are YOU doing these days ?-1.png

this is a quote by Cricket, our Forum Administrator in another forum she manages.
I think it is time to share it with you now that all of our Covid fears are getting closer to home.

"With all the craziness in the world right now, I want to ask, how are YOU doing? Itís time for us to come together because together there is nothing we cannot face. Are you doing okay? Are you anxious? Frustrated? Angry? Letís truly talk to each other. Ya wanna know why? It really is gonna be okay.

Initially, I was simply a bit concerned but I was cautiously optimistic. Yesterday though, I realized it was going into ANY store that was increasing my anxiety. The expressions on the older folks and young mamaís faces as they searched for what they need was breaking my heart. The ďshell shockedĒ faces seeing the empty aisles triggered my first actual fear.

It doesnít matter if it is a REAL fear. It matters that some of us are feeling it. How do I resolve that? I stop feeding the fear, by staying away from it all. I may not have everything that I WANT but I do have everything that I NEED.

This thread will not be for anything controversial. It is simply about connecting and supporting each other".

-- //s// Cricket: Community Manager --

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 07-29-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-17-2020, 08:38 PM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
OK, I'll go first. I have been at home with no visitors other than the mail man since Mar.15. They had drive through testing in town yesterday and we were in & out in 2 mins. Won't know the results til Mon. at least. John, my heart goes out to you...Man! It's dangerous where you are! Our son lives in Lakeland and we haven't heard from him in a while. Like you, I have everything I need. I plan on staying locked down until there is some actual progress in fighting this silent killer, with me being high risk (which means dead if I get it).

On the other hand, I have more than I can possibly do between the shop, yard work (I mow a little over three acres) house repairs...housework????? Any way, I'm in the shop around seven hours a day, but it's been too hot this week.

I hope all who read this will choose to protect themselves and the rest of us. We can do this. Oh...One last note. We found out a few days ago that we're going to be Great-Great (yes that's two) Grandparents. YO!

post #3 of 14 Old 07-17-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

congrats on the G.G.Grands !!
I am in Kissimmee - just a stones throw from Lakeland.
I went to WalMart yesterday to get a few last things for a long time
hunker down. and the look in peoples eyes was very disturbing.
like we were all waiting for an asteroid to hit us - of which it is.
we are in this for the long haul folks, not just through the end of the month.
and on behalf of the Admin and Staff,
everyone, please be safe !!!

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-18-2020, 07:04 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
Here in the UK I am classed as Extremely Vulnerable. I received regular phone calls to see how I was. Also food parcel for a couple of weeks until I cancelled.
All groceries and medications are delivered and Amazon supplies anything else.
Have not left home since March.
Our Government paid people laid off with 80% earnings and the NHS has been marvellous. Some mistakes have been made such as sending elderly in hospital into residential care and thus carrying infection so that death rate highest in care homes. However, generally Boris and Rishi Sunak ( in charge of cash) have done well.
I have got a host of jobs done at home.
johnep
post #5 of 14 Old 07-18-2020, 10:07 AM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
It hit the chicagoland early...

And i hunkered down for the month of april. I was the only one in my house that headed out, once a week to get supplies.... i really felt that our governor did it right with locking the state down, and SLOWLY opened it back up, following the cdc recommendations. We are starting to see an uptick, and our governor has warned us that if we donít heed the recommendations, then he will be forced to move us backward....

My biggest concern through all this, is the fact that people refuse to wear the face coverings.... if they werent effective, then why do medical staff where them when doing surgeries? I get people dont want to be told what to do, and in america, we have ďrights,Ē but its your civic responsibility to protect yourself and others when you are within 6í of other people, ESPECIALLY indoors where ventilation is not ideal.

We will get thru this, and supplies will be there... They may take longer to get, or you have to learn to substitute...

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-18-2020, 10:11 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
We have stayed pretty much to ourself, good test of a marriage. We do have visitors mostly family now but only outside with social distancing .

With people staying home many have been going through their attics and basements finding stuff they want fixed or refinished so I have at least a months worth of work with more on hold because of the heat.
My wife stays upstairs and I stay downstairs in the shop, social distancing works to keep us sane. Actually I have to be tested for Covid Monday prior to a medical procedure on Tuesday.
As far as the masks go, I can't work with them, if I have to into a store I will but one on but once out the door it is off, it is too restrictive to me and fogs my glasses. I am usually in and out of a store and never in a crowded area. This will run its course wether we wear masks or not because it is not going away.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-19-2020, 01:31 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I have a friend that is a substantial distance away. I hadn't heard from him in about a week. So I inquired as to his health etc. He responded that due to a dispute (for lack of better words) with his partner and he was ready to kill himself. He said that a better choice was to move out and was just setting things up to be a human being again.

Talk about a wake up call! He knows that I am here for him regardless of expense.

On other news, my broker says that I am up about 12% for the year in my IRA. That requires some flavored Ice Cubes.

I would like to buy shares of my favorite distillery but they just aren't available.

And finally, the guy next door started home schooling his two boys. After one day, two students were suspended for fighting and the teacher was fired for drinking on the job.
thegrgyle likes this.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #8 of 14 Old 07-19-2020, 07:15 PM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
I have to be extremely careful because I do have a compromised immunity system. Not only that but Iím suffering with a bad shoulder and desperately in need of surgery. I got approval for surgery last February and it got put on hold due to the pandemic. They consider it elective surgery because itís not life or death although Iím scared to go in anyway because there so many getting sick in the hospitals. My Doctorís not much help because heís strapped on prescribing anything for pain. I did manage to get enough for 3 days which was a nice break, but I donít know how Iím going to make it till this is over.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-19-2020, 08:30 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
I drank my way through most of the pandemic...probably need a new liver soon but never got the plague so maybe I was doing the right thing.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2020, 11:02 AM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
Got tested last Thurs got the results this morning and me and the Mrs are BOTH NEGATIVE! Now the challenge is to stay that way. Good luck to all and STAY SAFE.
Sleeper and John Smith_inFL like this.

post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2020, 11:26 AM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
I have to add that I can't remember ever feeling as lonely as i have the past few months. My entire social life now is on the internet and I haven't seen my kids or grandchildren since all this happened.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-20-2020, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quarantine Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I have to add that I can't remember ever feeling as lonely as i have the past few months. My entire social life now is on the internet and I haven't seen my kids or grandchildren since all this happened.
this is probably the case for most of the older generation.
we are used to being out and about and visiting with family
and friends. the internet has become our escape from the Covid.
feelings and emotions are on edge more than usual.
at least there are avenues to keep in touch with others now like
the FaceTime, Zoom, etc that we did not have 20 years ago.
just keep your health in check, eat right, exercise when you can,
and look out for each other. we are all in this together.
please don't try to survive it alone.

Sleeper likes this.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-20-2020, 12:10 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I'm high risk with my condition but it doesn't bother me..Raising a 3 year old grand daughter doesn't give me an opportunity to get get depressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200602_162155_1595261598441.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	713.0 KB
ID:	392687  

Last edited by Rebelwork; 07-20-2020 at 12:13 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-20-2020, 01:15 PM

View hoowasat's Photo Album My Photos
Other than going out Friday evenings with another couple, wife and I have been somewhat socailly distant from most of society for a long time before Covid19. I can work from home, and wife endured 6 weeks of unemployment pay before the dental office she manages reopened. On the plus side, financial accounts are growing (I've filled my truck only twice in the last 4 months), and we're dining out again on Fridays ... but I do worry about how long this will continue. I'm certain a vaccine will be developed, and pray it can be manufactured and distributed quickly.

Kissimmee? I did a car show there in an area I think they called "Old Town" ... came away with Editor's Choice award in 1995.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ReturnFromFlorida4PFF.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	392689  

Sleeper and homestd like this.

Ken
Everything works out in the end. If it's not working, you're not at the end.

Last edited by hoowasat; 07-20-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode