Gunmaker To Build Plant In US - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Gunmaker To Build Plant In US

Beretta announced a new plant for Tennessee.
http://news.yahoo.com/beretta-build-...200033943.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
That's cool news....now if they'd just build 5 new ammo plants....

The tools don't make the craftsman....
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (01-30-2014)
post #3 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Dotto! visited 3 stores yesyerday. None had any .22 ammo. Got some .38 and 9mm but all they had were target loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
That's cool news....now if they'd just build 5 new ammo plants....

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
I think I bought about 1000 .22 rounds a couple years back when I was shooting more regularly. I still have most of them as I was busy shooting my other guns. Glad I'm not looking for ammo these days.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
I think I bought about 1000 .22 rounds a couple years back when I was shooting more regularly. I still have most of them as I was busy shooting my other guns. Glad I'm not looking for ammo these days.
Wife and I shoot at two local ranges weekly, and have been in stock with .22L and .38 spl.

post #6 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Sawdust Creator

I think it's easier to find ammo now, but before this I was paying 19.99 for 100 rounds of 9mm and 7 bucks for 500 rounds of .22

Now it's 28-35 for the 9mm and the cheap plinking .22 is 20+ bucks for 500....

post #7 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 03:23 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Its nice to see we're getting some manufacturing back.

You have a few things happening that will effect the ammo. One is the ammo manufacturers are making huge profits and they like it that way. The other is we lost our last lead plant in this country. Not because of any one President like has been spread around to ignite a political base. This plant has been operating for 10 years outside of the EPA guide lines and choose to close rather then meet the requirements. I think it is horrible that they had 10 years to comply yet were allowed to profit for those 10 years with no intent to bring the plant up to the requirements. To make it worse they just closed up at the last moment.

.22 rounds are hard to find because many people bought the AR style 22 rifles. They can shoot a lot of rounds relatively cheap which creates the shortages.

Last edited by rrbrown; 01-30-2014 at 03:25 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
I think it's easier to find ammo now, but before this I was paying 19.99 for 100 rounds of 9mm and 7 bucks for 500 rounds of .22

Now it's 28-35 for the 9mm and the cheap plinking .22 is 20+ bucks for 500....
Same here. I used to get 9mm for $9.99 per 50 and .40 for $13.99 per 50. Now they have jumped to around $13.99 per 50 for 9mm and .40 has jumped to $19.99 per 50 when you can even find it. Check with your local WalMart and ask when the trucks come in. Ive found I have the best luck getting my hands on some ammo if I go to the strore on delivery day and they have by far the best prices on ball ammo.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #9 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 05:21 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
Its nice to see we're getting some manufacturing back.

You have a few things happening that will effect the ammo. One is the ammo manufacturers are making huge profits and they like it that way. The other is we lost our last lead plant in this country. Not because of any one President like has been spread around to ignite a political base. This plant has been operating for 10 years outside of the EPA guide lines and choose to close rather then meet the requirements. I think it is horrible that they had 10 years to comply yet were allowed to profit for those 10 years with no intent to bring the plant up to the requirements. To make it worse they just closed up at the last moment.

.22 rounds are hard to find because many people bought the AR style 22 rifles. They can shoot a lot of rounds relatively cheap which creates the shortages.
NRA posted an article a few weeks ago that said that plant closing would have very little affect on ammo production or prices. It was the last "primary" smelting plant in the US but most ammo is made from recycled lead which comes from secondary smelters.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #10 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown
Its nice to see we're getting some manufacturing back. You have a few things happening that will effect the ammo. One is the ammo manufacturers are making huge profits and they like it that way. The other is we lost our last lead plant in this country. Not because of any one President like has been spread around to ignite a political base. This plant has been operating for 10 years outside of the EPA guide lines and choose to close rather then meet the requirements. I think it is horrible that they had 10 years to comply yet were allowed to profit for those 10 years with no intent to bring the plant up to the requirements. To make it worse they just closed up at the last moment. .22 rounds are hard to find because many people bought the AR style 22 rifles. They can shoot a lot of rounds relatively cheap which creates the shortages.
I don't want to hijack the thread but can someone educate me on an AR 15. Who is a good manufacturer, what caliber ammo do they shoot and do they make a left handed model.
Thanks, Tom
post #11 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 06:16 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I think its great news that Beretta is opening a plant in Tenn. instead of expanding in a state that doesn't really like guns and gun owners.

I guess I've just been blessed in the ammo department. I have more ammo right now than I'll ever use for each of my weapons unless the zombies attack tonight! The range where I go to shoot at least twice per month has always had target loads available. Its expensive with 50 rounds of 9mm @ $15.00 a box, but at least its always there when I go and it hasn't hit a buck a round like I've read about in some places. 22LR is around $10.00 for 500 rounds when its on sale, all types of 12ga sell for $2.00 a box of 5 (#4 Buck is my choice for home use. Strong enough to put a large hole straight through an intruder, yet weak enough not to go through the cement block walls and hit the neighbors). 9mm self defense is the highest at close to $35.00 for 20 rounds.

The range was selling 1000 round cases of NATO 9 mm for $225.00 the last time I was there. I was tempted, but that many rounds would be enough for two or three lifetimes for me. I could not afford the range fees to fire off that much.

Next home I buy will be out in the middle of no where so I can go shooting any time I want from the back porch.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52

Last edited by johnnie52; 01-30-2014 at 06:26 PM.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Sawdust Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
I don't want to hijack the thread but can someone educate me on an AR 15. Who is a good manufacturer, what caliber ammo do they shoot and do they make a left handed model. Thanks, Tom
The standard common Ar-15 is built on a 5.56 NATO or .223 round. Most ar's will shoot both as they're close to the same rounds. All guns chambered for 5.56 will shoot .223 but not all .223 guns should shoot 5.56. That said, AR platforms can be built to handle other calibers, such as .308......

There are more ar manufacturers out there right now than need to be, and you can buy an ar for sub 500 if you do some assembly yourself....to 5k or more so brands and quality is subjective. That said....I think Rainer arms makes a dang good gun.

Now the question is do you want to buy a fully assembled gun....buy an upper and lower separate and combine the two....or start from scratch and build it piece by piece.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread but can someone educate me on an AR 15. Who is a good manufacturer, what caliber ammo do they shoot and do they make a left handed model.
Thanks, Tom
Colt would be your best bet, but there are various manufacturers. It's a look alike to an M-16, They fire a .223 caliber, 5.56mm round. Many of the look alikes fire a .22 caliber. The ones you can get are semi-auto.

post #14 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Sawdust Creator

The .22 versions are really just look alikes.....

The true AR platform should be a centerfire cartridge.

Colt and bushmaster both make good mass produced pieces. I'm not a fan of the mass market guns as they often skimp on parts you may not look at like gas blocks or charging handles. But that said if your on a 7-800 dollar budget you can get one from them for that.

post #15 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM

View Alaska_Guy's Photo Album My Photos
Windham weaponry makes good AR's. They are the original crew who came from bushmaster. I own one and I am VERY happy with mine.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I had the chance to shoot a Ruger SR-762 the last trip to the range. Its basically a 308 that looks like a M-16 without the raised part on top. Nice rifle, but at close to 2 grand, it was way more than I needed for shooting paper targets.

Ruger also makes several others that shoot 5.56.

They all look like that same M16 without the top loop. Of course I'm a big fan of Ruger, so I'm pre-disposed toward their weapons.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #17 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 PM
crosseyed & dyslexic

View Crusader's Photo Album My Photos
I'm an active shooter and by that I mean I shoot every week. I compete in IDPA and three gun matches so you can only imagine the amount of ammunition I go thru in a year. I average around 5,000 rounds of .45acp a year.
I'm old enough and smart enough to remember the last Government
attempt at screwing the American people out of their God given right to keep and bear arms, that said I'm always well stocked. I reload, so the mad rush and crush for ammo wasn't a concern. I stockpile powders and primers as most of my fellow shooters do.
Ammunition prices are falling as well as gun prices so there's good news there.
To the fellow who asked about the AR platform, there are so many makes as there are models, everything from varmit, hunting, competition, SHTF guns, plinking, LE and military platforms. I like to call the AR the lego for adults, The only thing I will say if you are interested in the platform make sure to get one chambered in .556.
I own several, my personal favorite and go to is my Ruger SR-556 followed by my Sig Sauer SIG516 Carbon. Checkout Ranier Arms, Rockriver, and Surplus Arms and Ammo. I would do a fair amount of research before buying anything. Good luck and keep shooting!

Last edited by rrbrown; 01-30-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Political statements removed
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (01-30-2014)
post #18 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 08:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
agreed

http://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-...ate-twist.html

The 5.56 Nato is a higher pressure round than the .223. The older hunting rifles are OK in .223 and have a slower twist for lighter bullet weights. The semi auto's most often are chambered in 5.56 and the bolt actions may or may not be. They are very similar cartridges, but the internal dimensions are not exactly the same.

http://www.humanevents.com/2011/02/1...ould-hurt-you/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-30-2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: reworded
post #19 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Sawdust Creator

Correct.......

post #20 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Thanks, Tom
I'm going to have a different answer then a lot of people about the manufacturer. I like Armalite I have one of the original AR-180 Cosa Mesa made. I like there quality. There are many others out there but I would look at one or two that your interested in and then check reviews on the net. If nothing else the internet gives a place for people to bitch about products and certain models.

Here's there website and you guys should love the fact that they are American made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode