Gonna get a dog. Pound pick. Any breeds to stay away from? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 11-02-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

View 4DThinker's Photo Album My Photos
Gonna get a dog. Pound pick. Any breeds to stay away from?

Title says it all. I grew up with dogs but haven't had one for several years. My life is slowing down a bit, and I've got room for a dog again.

What breeds have you had? My family has always picked up mutt puppies from friends or the pound. Dachshund-Chihuahua mix. Miniature Poodle Scottish Terrier confusion. German Shepherd-Labrador warrior.

Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-02-2014, 08:11 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
large, medium and small

I had German Shepards most of my life until the last 10 years when I got a Laso Opso mix, a smaller frame dog, from the pound. He was as smart or smarter than the German Shepards who were plenty smart also. He's gone now.
At the present time, I have a Manchester Terrier, a medium size dog, nice, smart and a sweet dog, but he's faster and a unmanned airborne vehicle and will run your legs off.
Certain breeds are runners and chasers, others are more sedentary and make good lap dogs. Older folks can't keep up with the lively ones so just look into what your the breed's characteristics before making that commitment.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-02-2014 at 10:26 AM.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
We have a little Chihuahua we rescued from the pound, they were going to put the little fellow down the next day. He was fairly old when we got him, now he is really old, we love the little dickens.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-02-2014, 09:16 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have had an Airedale, Shepherds and Poodles over the years. All excellent dogs.

Right now we have our first "rescue" dog. Small guy about 13 pounds, but will 50 pounds of energy. We think he is a large part Jack Russel. Very, very active and demanding of play time and lap time.

If you get a dog with a lot of Jack Russel you want to be sure you have the time to devote to him/her.

George
post #5 of 20 Old 11-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
You need to decide what kind of lifestyle you want. For example, relatively laid back and not very active lifestyles are good for things like bulldogs....if you're quite active, German Shepards and collies are great....

I'd look at some of the dog breed selectors online to see what breed fits your lifestyle

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #6 of 20 Old 11-02-2014, 02:48 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
Title says it all. I grew up with dogs but haven't had one for several years. My life is slowing down a bit, and I've got room for a dog again.

What breeds have you had? My family has always picked up mutt puppies from friends or the pound. Dachshund-Chihuahua mix. Miniature Poodle Scottish Terrier confusion. German Shepherd-Labrador warrior.

Recommendations?
Get a few Dobermans and thank yourself later.

They do fine in a woodworking environment and are easy as heck to clean up at the end of the day.

post #7 of 20 Old 11-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Procrastinator (For now.)

View sweet willy's Photo Album My Photos
If you own your house you need to check with your insurance company. Most insurance companies nowadays wont insure against certain things if you have any number of different breeds. Sweet Willy is a 129 lb. German Shepherd, but, when he was only a few months old, not even 25 lbs., we weren't allowed to camp in some campgrounds because he was a German Shepherd. We do have homeowners insurance now only because Willy is a service dog.

No. I only do that when I'm drunk.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet willy View Post
If you own your house you need to check with your insurance company. Most insurance companies nowadays wont insure against certain things if you have any number of different breeds. Sweet Willy is a 129 lb. German Shepherd, but, when he was only a few months old, not even 25 lbs., we weren't allowed to camp in some campgrounds because he was a German Shepherd. We do have homeowners insurance now only because Willy is a service dog.

Were you not allowed in the camp ground because your dog was a German Shepard or was it because he was over a specified size? I have never heard of anyone banning Shepards per se.

George
post #9 of 20 Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Were you not allowed in the camp ground because your dog was a German Shepard or was it because he was over a specified size? I have never heard of anyone banning Shepards per se.

George
Some campgrounds do not allow ANY dogs.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 PM

GeorgeC, we were not allowed to camp because Willy is a german shepherd. I took a 5-day woodworking class here in TN so I dragged my camper over and stayed in a nearby campground. They tried to refuse to let me camp there because of Willy until I showed them the Federal Regs. Bottom line: Blame it on the insurance companies. They wont give a biz insurance if they allow certain dogs on their premises.
I've posted a pic of Willy in my Photos.

Last edited by sweet willy; 11-04-2014 at 11:02 PM.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet willy View Post
GeorgeC, we were not allowed to camp because Willy is a german shepherd. I took a 5-day woodworking class here in TN so I dragged my camper over and stayed in a nearby campground. They tried to refuse to let me camp there because of Willy until I showed them the Federal Regs. Bottom line: Blame it on the insurance companies. They wont give a biz insurance if they allow certain dogs on their premises.
I've posted a pic of Willy in my Photos.
You ever go camping down at Shellmound?

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-05-2014, 10:59 PM

No Big Jim. I live fairly close to Shell Mound (So. Pittsburg) but I did have some friends who camped there for the summer. Nice place.

post #13 of 20 Old 11-08-2014, 08:09 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Ill go ahead and put it out there and defend the breed, I have a English Staffordshire Terrier, otherwise stereotyped as a 'pit bull'. Roxy is the most people friendly dog Ive ever seen. So friendly in fact, that she let someone in the garage and steal my router, router table and bits. I can set a plate of scraps on the floor of the shop and she will go lay down in the corner indefinitely until shes called. Great dog.

If you have other dogs or are thinking of getting other dogs tread lightly. That is their only con. Its kind of a 50/50 as to whether or not theyll get along. If its a single dog family you cant go wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chamfer For This Useful Post:
skymonkey (11-10-2014)
post #14 of 20 Old 11-09-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
Ill go ahead and put it out there and defend the breed, I have a English Staffordshire Terrier, otherwise stereotyped as a 'pit bull'. Roxy is the most people friendly dog Ive ever seen. So friendly in fact, that she let someone in the garage and steal my router, router table and bits. I can set a plate of scraps on the floor of the shop and she will go lay down in the corner indefinitely until shes called. Great dog.

If you have other dogs or are thinking of getting other dogs tread lightly. That is their only con. Its kind of a 50/50 as to whether or not theyll get along. If its a single dog family you cant go wrong.

Awesome pictures!
post #15 of 20 Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 PM

View skymonkey's Photo Album My Photos
My wife and I foster certain breeds for a local rescue. Typically we only take Pitbulls because no one else seems to want them because they keep smaller dogs that typically have attitudes and that doesn't seem to mix well with larger breeds although we have never had an issue with dogs fighting except once when we picked up an abandoned female who was in heat. Pits can be very energetic and individual dogs need someone who knows how to handle them, then some like our Mandy can be service dogs and don't ever get excited no matter what. Old dogs, black dogs and large mutts are the ones who normally die in shelters, everyone wants the little dogs they can put in their purse, purebred dogs and puppies are the ones most likely to get adopted. Mutts are by far the healthiest, they typically won't break you up at the vet. Good luck in whatever you choose.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-10-2014, 11:48 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think there is any bad bread. There is only a bad bread of dog owner. You can make a good or bad dog of any bread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Chamfer (11-12-2014), ryan50hrl (11-10-2014)
post #17 of 20 Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I don't think there is any bad bread. There is only a bad bread of dog owner. You can make a good or bad dog of any bread.
Well said.

George
post #18 of 20 Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Well said.

George
Except for the spelling. Oh well.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-11-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
There are several breeds that have a reputation and are well known for being 'smarter'.

There is a 'top ten' list of smartest dog breeds and it is fairly accurate.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-12-2014, 01:22 PM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
I get all my dogs from the pound unless someone gives me a dog. My friend who is a CHP picked up a Beagle Pup from a fatal traffic accident he was working and the surviving family didnít want it. He brought it home but had to get rid of it because his other dogs didnít get along with it so I took it.
The only problem I had was Beagles are pack animals and she suffered anxiety when she was alone. We then had to get another dog to keep the neighbors happy and save our doors from scratching damage.
My next dog will probably be a German Shepherd because I want something to protect my house.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode