5Likes
  • 2 Post By Sleeper
  • 1 Post By Tennessee Tim
  • 1 Post By Sleeper
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 13 Old 07-31-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Garage door problem driving me crazy

My daughter has been complaining about her rollup door going up slow so we bought another garage door up opener thinking that the motor was going out.

The door was really heavy going up with the door disengaged from the drive so I adjusted it, but now it is hard to pull down after I adjusted the spring tension. It stops just as the bottom wheels make the turn from horizontal to vertical. It is almost like the door is hitting a bolt or something and I just canít find it.

It is a fairly new door only a couple of years old, but the wheels look much older and donít look like they are very straight. I found a set of brand new garage door screws setting on the top plate and I wonder if the installer used the old wheels and kept the new wheels.

Anyway Iím thinking of replacing the wheels to see if that makes a difference, but I wanted to run it by someone who knows before I spend the time and money.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-31-2016, 10:22 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I've never seen the wheels go out on a garage door. Usually when I work a problem like that it's something in the tract alignment or the spring tension. It may be the two tracts are too close together or they are closer at one end than the other. It also may be the door twists as it operates. Any of which can add friction to the function.

On another note, are you out of fire danger?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (07-31-2016), Terry Q (08-01-2016)
post #3 of 13 Old 07-31-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
On another note, are you out of fire danger?
Yes the fire is gone and we are back to using a swamp cooler to cool the house.
We came home after we got word that the winds changed and the air quality was back to normal, but just as we were getting close to home another fire started from a car catching fire in an accident.

The smoke from the new fire was just as bad as the Sand Fire, but luckily all the specialized fire equipment was already here for the first fire so they quickly got control and put it out the same day. I had a lot of smoke damage with a lot of cleaning to do, but I'm thankful its over and I still have a home.
WesTex and Dan3103 like this.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-31-2016, 11:15 PM
No Longer Here

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Re the rollers....Yes they can go bad....BUT it sounds like you/she have something else going on....my first check would be the springs, IF they're coil winder type lot's of time one will break and cause hard opening. Next I usually check for bolts loosening....sometimes just a good oiling of the rollers makes a world of difference. I have seen the cones for the coils sometimes slip from not properly secure. WARNING with any garage door repairs!!!! these are under great pressure and can give deadly results if not properly repaired. I have seen a garage door man all cut up to find out something went wrong on a repair that was just supposed to be a "standard" fix.

Be careful or let a certified garage door repair person fix it...yes you probably can do them just get detailed instructions, most can be downloaded.
Sleeper likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-01-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks TennesseeTim,

Iíve replaced springs many times and I am fully aware of the dangers. Plus Iím pretty sure the tension is adjusted correctly although I may adjust them all over again from scratch just in case the coils are too tight together and may be binding.

I think the problem is either the wheels or the track alignment. I had to align my own tracks when I first moved in because my wheels almost fell out. The only thing that is baffling me is that the door is so easy to go up but binds coming down within a foot of full open.

Anyway I found this video on replacing the wheels that looks so easy. Iíve always removed the hardware to replace the wheels, but going to give this a try if I do replace the wheels..

JohnnyB
post #6 of 13 Old 08-01-2016, 09:54 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
>>The only thing that is baffling me is that the door is so easy to go up but binds coming down within a foot of full open.

raises my suspicion that the motor is not aligned with the pull/push hardware.
in raising mode, it's "pulling" into a jam.
in lowering mode it's trying to "push" out of a jammed / semi-jammed condition.

I also am doubtful it's the rollers - for lube I'd recommend graphite vs. oil/grease. being dry it does not accumulate floating dirt.....
post #7 of 13 Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
raises my suspicion that the motor is not aligned with the pull/push hardware.
in raising mode, it's "pulling" into a jam.
in lowering mode it's trying to "push" out of a jammed / semi-jammed condition......
you bring up something that I didn't think about. I never checked the motor alignment with the door.

This whole thing started with my son-in-law backing up through the door when he was late for work a few years back. The garage door was severely mangled up and I bet the rails or track was damaged as well. They bought a new door from Home Depot and had them install it, but I don't know if they replaced the track and I do know they didn't replace the opener.

I guess I need to go over there and measure everything to see if everything is where its supposed to be.
WesTex likes this.

JohnnyB
post #8 of 13 Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I donno about "measuring" ...

But I would check the "C" channel/track for a pinch near the bottom. See if it's collapsed in any way and run a spare roller up and down both channels with the door in the UP position.

Next, I would check to see if the "C" channel is just a touch off vertical close to the bottom/floor end. This allows for a better seal condition at the base. I think that's the way mine are anyway. There's a little play at the TOP, but not the bottom. The rollers have enough play end to end to compensate for any misalignment in the other vertical axis. So, bring a 6 ft long level and a measuring tape or story stick if you have one that long.
Sleeper likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-01-2016 at 11:33 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-02-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Well the problem wasn't where I thought is was. I couldn't see anything obvious so I decided to just go ahead and replace the motor only I still had the same problem. My plan was to just replace the track and motor while utilizing the existing sensors.

I figured that the only time the sensors were in play was in down mode which is when the problem arose, but only at the top. The sensors lights worked as they were supposed to and the door would go up if a foot got in the way within 3 ft of the bottom. So I decided to replace the sensors just to see and it worked.

One of the reasons I went ahead and changed the sensors was because one of the lenses was missing and the housing looked like it was damaged although they did work on the lower half only. I have no idea why it did what it and I'm just glad its fixed.

JohnnyB
post #10 of 13 Old 08-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Well the problem wasn't where I thought is was. I couldn't see anything obvious so I decided to just go ahead and replace the motor only I still had the same problem. My plan was to just replace the track and motor while utilizing the existing sensors.

I figured that the only time the sensors were in play was in down mode which is when the problem arose, but only at the top. The sensors lights worked as they were supposed to and the door would go up if a foot got in the way within 3 ft of the bottom. So I decided to replace the sensors just to see and it worked.

One of the reasons I went ahead and changed the sensors was because one of the lenses was missing and the housing looked like it was damaged although they did work on the lower half only. I have no idea why it did what it and I'm just glad its fixed.
I just replaced my garage door opener. I tried reusing the sensors as I didn't want to have to deal with the wiring from the sensors to the opener. Opener didn't work. Instead of trying to reuse old stuff, I just ripped everything out and replaced it. Worked fine.
As far as replacing the old opener which still worked, I wanted an opener connected to the Internet as I'm not always at that house. I could have bought a universal unit for $80 or a quieter belt drive with a gateway for $40 more. The unit was on sale, store was offering additional eleven percent off, and an additional two percent with the credit card. The $40 was paid by in store credit. Twenty year old opener was history.
Point is, sometimes it's better to throw in the towel and look for a good sale. It kills me to have to replace items as my mind set is once I buy something, it should last forever with proper maintenance. Maybe a few new parts but I'm slowly getting used to replacing as an option.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
The Following User Says Thank You to unclefester For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (08-03-2016)
post #11 of 13 Old 08-03-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
Point is, sometimes it's better to throw in the towel and look for a good sale. It kills me to have to replace items as my mind set is once I buy something, it should last forever with proper maintenance. Maybe a few new parts but I'm slowly getting used to replacing as an option.
I was thinking the same as you in not wanting to run new wires and I sure didnít want to get on my hands and knees to connect new brackets for the sensors, but the new hardware was a snap. It turned out that they just snapped on to the track without screws.

I told my son-in-law to buy a cheap opener because they had sold the house and the buyers were demanding a new garage door opener, but he came back with a fairly nice one. The buyer was making so many demands that I didnít want to go out of my way on the extra stuff. One thing that upset me was that they asked to have the refrigerator for free and then they had the nerve to demand a new water filter worth $50. I told my daughter that she should have said no and taken it, but she didnít want to store it until she found a new home for herself.

Anyway I was so impressed with the new door openerís features and self-adjusting that Iím going to buy myself a new one. I also really like the Wi-Fi feature and Iím researching that now.

JohnnyB
post #12 of 13 Old 08-04-2016, 12:04 AM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I was thinking the same as you in not wanting to run new wires and I sure didnít want to get on my hands and knees to connect new brackets for the sensors, but the new hardware was a snap. It turned out that they just snapped on to the track without screws.

I told my son-in-law to buy a cheap opener because they had sold the house and the buyers were demanding a new garage door opener, but he came back with a fairly nice one. The buyer was making so many demands that I didnít want to go out of my way on the extra stuff. One thing that upset me was that they asked to have the refrigerator for free and then they had the nerve to demand a new water filter worth $50. I told my daughter that she should have said no and taken it, but she didnít want to store it until she found a new home for herself.

Anyway I was so impressed with the new door openerís features and self-adjusting that Iím going to buy myself a new one. I also really like the Wi-Fi feature and Iím researching that now.
The wi-fi and belt drive was what I was after. Same thing with the house TStats.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
The Following User Says Thank You to unclefester For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (08-04-2016)
post #13 of 13 Old 08-04-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

My son-in-law bought a belt drive and I was skeptical because the belt seemed like a weak point in the way it stretched.

We had to use a block of wood under the door when setting the lower limit because the belt was hanging down on one side on the first setting due to missing the mark. Using the block allowed us to adjust for some slack. The stretching of the belt worried me because it was 106 deg F and I wounder how it will be in the winter when its below freezing.

I have to say though, the belt was unbelievably quiet which would be great in my garage where I have a bedroom above. I normally do not open the garage door when someone is sleeping above because the direct drive screw is so noisy.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode