Garage door opener - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Garage door opener

Anyone work on them? I had a customer call me to fix their garage door and I couldn't do anything with it. Half the time it would raise about half way up and stop. I released the door from the mechanism and the door itself raised up and down very easily so the door wasn't the issue. It was the door closer. For some reason some times it would turn off before the door would come all the way up. The chain was loose when I got there but I tightened it up but didn't make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 12:16 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Steve,
It may be dirty contacts. The electrical contacts regulate the stop and start of the door.
Wipe off, then spray off with a good cleaner. They get really dirty over time and start to work intermidantly or erratic. The contacts are located on the track.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 12:39 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Steve,
It may be dirty contacts. The electrical contacts regulate the stop and start of the door.
Wipe off, then spray off with a good cleaner. They get really dirty over time and start to work intermidantly or erratic. The contacts are located on the track.

That must be brand particular. Never seen anything like that on Craftsman doors machine.

On a Craftsman it is pressure (load) sensitive. That is adjusted on the primary mechanism.

George

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 01:50 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
That must be brand particular. Never seen anything like that on Craftsman doors machine.

On a Craftsman it is pressure (load) sensitive. That is adjusted on the primary mechanism.

George

George
Most newer units you adjust the travel electronically.

I would remove all connections to the head unit, make sure the electric eyes are intact and functional, and test it. Could be a bad switch.

Beyond that, door openers are relatively cheap, and have become almost disposable IMO, cheaper to just replace them. I personally am a fan of belt drive units, so quiet.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

I think this one works by electronics. There is two adjustment knobs on the back side of the unit where you can adjust the start and stop place of the up position and the down position.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 06:47 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Rheostats (potentiometers, dimmer switches, etc.) have a tendency to corrode at the connection. Sometimes, and temporarily, just spinning the "dials" back and forth a few times will clean the contact area. Then you can reset the proper position.

But if corrosion is the issue, this will only fix the problem temporarily.

If it's not too old a unit, I'd contact the manufacturer. My mother-n-law just got a brand new Pfister faucet because the 3 year old one developed a leak. A picture and an E-mail ... two weeks later, a faucet shows up on her door step.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

The customer said the door opener hasn't been up very long. I recommended she get the company that installed the unit out there to look at it but you never know how long that will be. I just thought if there was anything else I could do I might go back. She's an elderly lady I've been doing work for for about 15 years and she can't get around without a walker anymore. Since the door isn't working she's having to go in and out her front door and go through the yard to get to her car.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 PM

I am going off my own experience here, and I might be speaking of things you've already done ... but does she have an owner's manual? Many owner's manuals have a trouble shooting section that might give you options.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I am going off my own experience here, and I might be speaking of things you've already done ... but does she have an owner's manual? Many owner's manuals have a trouble shooting section that might give you options.
I don't know if she has a manual or not since a professional installed the unit and I didn't think to ask.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 10:20 PM

If you're willing to try fixing it, and you have the model and brand ... most information is available online, these days.

You've already said, and I second the idea, contact the installers/sellers. I also think someone should contact the manufacturer. Surprising, just how eager some are to fix something to keep their name "good".
post #11 of 15 Old 05-23-2016, 05:14 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Check those plastic gears. We've had to replace ours twice now. Both times it was the gears. They wear out and no amount of fiddling with it will fix it if the gear is even slightly stripped.. As much as I think I can fix anything I just call the garage door guy.. They'll save you a lot of grief..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #12 of 15 Old 05-23-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

As best as I can tell searching online the problem is a circuit board on the opener. I think since I don't have any experience working on them and wouldn't know where to obtain a circuit board or even properly diagnose the problem I better leave it to the professional.

This unit had steel gears on it so it's something internal in the opener itself causing the malfunction.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Steve,
What brand and model opener is it? Should be a date code on the serial number tag on the back of the unit.
Mike Hawkins:smile3:
post #14 of 15 Old 05-23-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

I didn't look for a model number. The brand was Liftmaster. I'm forty miles from here so unless I was pretty certain I could help I won't be going back to find out.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-26-2016, 01:03 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
Check those plastic gears. We've had to replace ours twice now. Both times it was the gears. They wear out and no amount of fiddling with it will fix it if the gear is even slightly stripped.. As much as I think I can fix anything I just call the garage door guy.. They'll save you a lot of grief..
Another vote for plastic gears. When I took the box off of the opener-motor, there were piles of white "sand" inside, from the gears grinding themselves to pieces.

That was about two years ago, and still haven't replaced the opener. But there hasn't been a car in our garage since we let our children have bicycles, skateboards, basketballs, baseballs, soccer balls, hula hoops, a croquet set, a badminton set, winter tires, a tent, potting soil, a lawnmower.....

So there's no need for anyone to push a remote control button to open the door to pull in a car in about 15 years.

Oops. Didn't see the part about metal gears. But just let that be a tip for everyone else: if you have children, don't buy the metal gear garage door opener.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode