Fishing Boats - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

View skymonkey's Photo Album My Photos
Fishing Boats

Spring is getting closer! Its time to drag out the boat and get her ready for this season. I went last night and bought everything I need for it this year. A new fish finder, 2 new tires for the trailor, a new trailor jack, 2 new seats, a new cranking battery and a new deep cycle battery for the trolling motor, new fuel line, stuff to repair the middle seat on top of the livewell, new paddle and the wife is going to renew the registration this week and I still have to get a new fire extinguisher this week and 2 new tail lights for the trailor. I have a marine grade cheapie stereo I plan to install to. Now the only thing I need is a few new rods, some new tackle and a dependable 4x4 to pull it....lol. I like fishing some tough places to launch a boat. Both my boats are 16 ft aluminum hullls. One with all the comfort stuff and the other is more of a regular john boat we use for hunting because of all the room with it not having seats mounted right in the way. What are some of the convienences you guys have added to your small boats to make life easier on the water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you have a handle on it Sky. I hope you fill your freezers plumb full this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymonkey
What are some of the convienences you guys have added to your small boats to make life easier on the water?
I have so many boats (and a submarine) that I always had trouble deciding on which one to take out, so I bought a bigger boat to haul them around on. So that's the only convenience I added this year, just the one bigger boat thing. I couldn't afford anything else.

Fishing Boats-monaco-yacht.jpg

When the fish aren't biting we go inside to the 5 star French restaurant.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

A submarine? .....really? That gives me an idea! My best friend has a welding shop and we are both mechanics. Between the both of us I bet we could build one....lol! I smell a project for next winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Big Member

View Allthumbs27's Photo Album My Photos
I love fishing ponds and hard to reach areas also. This is a picture of a Jon boat I picked up from a guy. I dont think it had 1 spot that did not leak. After a whole lot of work it is almost ready. Just finished mounting the trolling motor bracket. Custom built, you wont find something like that in a store. It is hard to believe how much money can be dumped into a "little pond boat" much less full size blue water outfit. I am going to teach my oldest daughter to fish this spring and summer so I cant wait for that.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...817565&theater

Every fight is a food fight when you are a cannibal.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 PM

View Longknife's Photo Album My Photos
I was down by the sea this weekend and this is what it looked like. I heard on the news tonight that there are a lot of ships stuck in the ice waiting for assistance by icebrakers. I think it will be a while before we launch any boats........
Fishing Boats-03.jpg
Name:  fartygfast370_sy496ca9.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  21.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymonkey View Post
A submarine? .....really? That gives me an idea! My best friend has a welding shop and we are both mechanics. Between the both of us I bet we could build one....lol! I smell a project for next winter.
Not far from where I live a guy did just that.
Name:  ubåt.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  8.6 KB
Name:  ubat_UA_12.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  72.1 KB
post #6 of 9 Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

That's to big and fancy for a poor country boy like me. I've been thinking about it all day and have figured out how to do just about everything for an electric submarine. An old propane tank and the end of a smaller one to put windows in should do the trick. Been reading and studying it a bit and it seems that a big propane tank will hold enough air to stay down 20 to 40 minutes before you have to come back up. Deep cycle batteries and 2 cheap trolling motors should work for lights and power. A heavy bottom mounted weight on a mechanical release will pop you to the surface fast should anything be wrong. Carbon dioxide tanks for making it rise and float up and its liquid form in the tanks so you could play all day before needing refilled. Oxygen air meters are only $40 so you know when your running out of air and a $75 diver depth meterso you know how deep you are. A bulge pump with a 1 way check valve to offset any small leaks. Getting the rig to be nuetrally boyuant with weights is going to be tough and finding seals for the shafts of the trolling motors will be tough to but I have a friend who runs a company that does custom seals to. It wouldn't be impossible to build one and make it safe. Will be tough though but I love a challenge.....lol!
post #7 of 9 Old 02-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I have been diving in 3 oceans, 2 gulfs, and countless lakes and a few rivers. If you want to navigate that sub in any ocean you'll need more than trolling motors. Even when the seas appear calm on the surface, currents can be substantial beneath the calm. They can come suddenly also. It might be easier to stick to surface vessels or just take up diving.

A word of caution: If you dive a lot like I did it could ruin your fishing experience. It did mine. When I was an avid fisherman it was because what was below was a mystery to me. It was the thrill of catching something I couldn't see in an environment that was alien and unknown to me. Now, after so many dives in so many different environments I can drive along an ocean or lake and I can see what's down there. It's no mystery at all. I can float along a reef and see all the life now just from memory. I can clearly see the blue water schools of King Mackerel or the lone Ling finning by hunting food, or the humongous school of Barracuda that literally blotted out the moon on a dive on Davis Reef off Islamorada as they passed overhead.

Being able to see that while I'm fishing just totally ruined the whole experience for me. Maybe it won't for you, but you should consider that going in.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-28-2011, 04:47 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I have a couple of small aluminum hulls too. One is a project boat. Its a 14' flat bottom that I'm turning in to a Crappie rig for a 10 hp limit lake here. For all the mods and anything else you can think of for an aluminum boat, check out tinboats.net. Great group of guys there just like here with a wealth of knowledge about aluminum rigs. Both of my projects (boat and trailer) are posted there somewhere. I have the same name there if you go lookin.

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/index....9da2a6a228024f
post #9 of 9 Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I've always wanted to take up scuba diving. Im already an avid skydiver with 200 jumps under my belt. Taking a home made sub to the salt water is not something I plan to do. If I do manage to build a successful unit its gonna be way way to small to even think about taking to salt water. Im 6 hours away from the nearest salt water anyways but there are plenty really deep lakes around to play in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode