Door latch to secure Shipping Container Shop needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By TomCT2
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By Onefreetexan
  • 1 Post By CharleyL

post #1 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Door latch to secure Shipping Container Shop needed

I discovered today that I could have a potentially deadly situation with my steel container shop.

If a gust of wind pops up and slams my side door shut while Iím inside, I canít open it from inside. Sometimes Iím alone for a couple of days and it were to happen during the summer when its 110į out, I might not be able to survive if I get locked in.

Iím going to have to take extra precautions immediately like always having a cell phone and blocking the door so it canít close. Eventually Iím going to have cut the existing latch off and weld a different one on that can be opened from the inside. I just donít know what kind of latch or where to buy such a thing.

JohnnyB
"I do what I do well, but I still like to dabble in what I donít do well"
I just like to build with wood and a means to save money by doing it myself.
I've been building things out of wood for 40 years and I'm still just an amateur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I would look into a pre-hung metal door from the box store
and just frame it in on one of the sides like you would on any workshop.
that would be your "Escape Hatch" as well as just another door.

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --
post #3 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 06:52 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
walk in freezers have latches with a "open from inside" safety feature
such as:

https://walkincoolerparts.com/produc...ason-58-flush/
Sleeper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 07:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Just use the lock itself ...

Take the lock and run it through one of the holes and lock it. That way no one can come along and lock you in because the hole is blocked.
Sleeper likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Photos of what I have

I guess I could remove the door altogether and replace it, but I like the security of this. The bottom latch is definitely got to get cut off because I planning on poring a 16x40 ft slab in front of it which will eventually be my work area. This latch is going to cause problems and I don't want to notch the concrete. It would be great I can find something that could latch on the bottom and the top. I understand its not going to be Fort Knox, but the more secure it is they better I feel about.

Oh also the main reason why I like the door to be latched on both top and bottom is because of driving monsoon rains and tornado type winds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0161.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	374383  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0162.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	374385  

JohnnyB
I've been building things out of wood for 40 years and I'm still just an amateur.

Last edited by Sleeper; 04-15-2019 at 08:01 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Take the lock and run it through one of the holes and lock it. That way no one can come along and lock you in because the hole is blocked.
This is probably what I will need to do for now. Thanks

Actually the more I think about this, I can't believe I didn't think about this before because I've had 4x4s propping the door open and the winds sometimes even blow the 4x4 over

JohnnyB

Last edited by Sleeper; 04-15-2019 at 08:06 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

I just tried locking the latch while the door was open and I have to say that works pretty well.

I admit that I have thought about someone locking me in although there isn't anybody around. I know this is a major trafficking route from south of the border which worries me, but I haven't seen anybody yet. Someone dropped off a whole lot of illegals near town to a church and they have said they are overwhelmed with immigrants. ICE has been dropping them off at the greyhound bus station and its no telling where they're heading from there.

JohnnyB
post #8 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have to notch the concrete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I guess I could remove the door altogether and replace it, but I like the security of this. The bottom latch is definitely got to get cut off because I planning on poring a 16x40 ft slab in front of it which will eventually be my work area. This latch is going to cause problems and I don't want to notch the concrete. It would be great I can find something that could latch on the bottom and the top. I understand its not going to be Fort Knox, but the more secure it is they better I feel about.

Oh also the main reason why I like the door to be latched on both top and bottom is because of driving monsoon rains and tornado type winds.

Can't you just drill a hole for the rod to drop into? Or leave an opening by the door sill?

I wouldn't want to lose the bottom latch either, so figure out something....
Sleeper likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 09:15 PM

View Onefreetexan's Photo Album My Photos
Build a whole new end wall inside the doors,,, place for AC, drop down window for target practice,,,,,designed so outer steel doors canít be shut until you pull the lever,,, or whatever you design to keep it safe.... then when you leave, lock the inner door, close the outer steel doors, and park your tractor with the front end loader against the steel doors, worked for me in Texas
woodnthings and Sleeper like this.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefreetexan View Post
Build a whole new end wall inside the doors,,, place for AC, drop down window for target practice,,,,,designed so outer steel doors canít be shut until you pull the lever,,, or whatever you design to keep it safe.... then when you leave, lock the inner door, close the outer steel doors, and park your tractor with the front end loader against the steel doors, worked for me in Texas
" and park your tractor with the front end loader against the steel doors"

If you go to that extent, it's a sure sign that you are protecting something very valuable, and around here they will just cut a hole in the side to get in because you have over secured it. A locked SeaCan is adequate protection to keep all but the most dedicated thieves out, and it's not an indication that there is something very valuable inside. Don't over do it. It's like waving a big flag at them that says "valuables inside". Just use a tamper proof padlock. The one shaped like a disk with a notch in it and the curved lock pin goes across the notch when you lock it. This is what I'm referring to:
https://www.amazon.com/ABUS-20-70-St...=fsclp_pl_dp_3

Charley
Sleeper likes this.

Last edited by CharleyL; 04-16-2019 at 09:24 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
" and park your tractor with the front end loader against the steel doors"

If you go to that extent, it's a sure sign that you are protecting something very valuable, and around here they will just cut a hole in the side to get in because you have over secured it. A locked SeaCan is adequate protection to keep all but the most dedicated thieves out, and it's not an indication that there is something very valuable inside. Don't over do it. It's like waving a big flag at them that says "valuables inside". Just use a tamper proof padlock. The one shaped like a disk with a notch in it and the curved lock pin goes across the notch when you lock it. This is what I'm referring to:
https://www.amazon.com/ABUS-20-70-St...=fsclp_pl_dp_3

Charley
If they really want in, they will figure out a way. I saw a recent photo where they not only cut into one and stole all the tools and equipment, but they stole the truck w/trailer that was blocking the door. I would not be here if it were that bad here.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode