Dang it.... lost two chickens tonight - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 03-08-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Joel / Junior Member

View GreyhoundGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Dang it.... lost two chickens tonight

I got home from work around 5:30 and gave our five chickens their treats. (They free range during the day.) They all came running up, clucking and chattering the whole way. I went out at 6:30pm to close them up in the coop. Three of the five were inside. The other two were nowhere to be seen.

I did a quick walk of our property and found what I can only describe as an explosion of feathers. My best guess is a hawk. I only found black feathers, though, which was the color of only one of the missing hens. My hope is that the other is tucked into a cedar tree somewhere... although I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully I'll find one of the two in the morning. Like I said, though... not holding my breath.

-Joel

Save an Athlete! Adopt a Greyhound!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry for your hen loss.

My neighbor lost both of his last year. They just "disappeared".

One of ours got attacked by a hawk last summer. She bounced off the living room window as it swooped onto her. The hawk apparently thought she was smaller than she is. It left her after her sisters squawked it off.

I went out and picked her up. The hawk took another pass through the yard and decided against trying again. The hen was shaken, and had a few good gashes, but otherwise she was alright. I washed her off and put some antibiotic on the wounds. They look up a bit more now.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 04:03 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
WE had chickens during the war. I remember going with my Dad to a market and he bought a dozen day old chicks.......every one was a cockerel. My wife told me that her father who was a country boy only bought hens on the point of lay. She loved the birds and made pets of them. All the while their cat was under a bush with his eyes fixed on the hens but, he never touched them.
In the end my father bought rabbits. I refused to eat "Doris".
johnep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 06:13 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep1934 View Post
WE had chickens during the war. I remember going with my Dad to a market and he bought a dozen day old chicks.......every one was a cockerel. My wife told me that her father who was a country boy only bought hens on the point of lay. She loved the birds and made pets of them. All the while their cat was under a bush with his eyes fixed on the hens but, he never touched them.
In the end my father bought rabbits. I refused to eat "Doris".
johnep
This thread brings back many memories. We too had chickens during WW II. They had a pen to roam in and a rather large hen house to sleep in and lay their eggs. Never lost any to any wild animals.

After the war my father got rid of the hens. I then turned the hen house and some other cages into a rabbit house. I would sell you a rabbit either on the hoof for a pet or dressed ready for cooking. Would stock up at Easter time and would have up towards 70 bunnys.

George
post #5 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 09:23 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
may also have been a fox, coyote, neighbors dog, etc. btdt
Kerrys likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 09:34 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
I have a friend whose nearly free-range chickens were often taken by hawks or a neighbor's dog. She solved the problem, at least partially, by adding a rooster. Evidently they are fiercely protective. Her rooster trapped the neighbor inside her house more than once.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 AM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
The world is a wild and dangerous place. If you're going to have domestic animals, expect some amount of loss. That's just the way it's always been. HOWEVER, we have been able to minimize that with various strategies. I have raised chickens, and we currently have ducks. We also have a pretty good population of hawks and owls in the vicinity. Our ducks have a pretty sturdy pen that they get shut into at night, then in the daytime, they have close to 2000 square feet to wander in. (we only have 4 ducks) It's our garden space and I leave all of the garden remnants intact. i.e. corn stalks, tomato fences, pepper and squash structures, and some other objects that provide both shelter and obstruction. The raptors primarily like to swoop in to grab their prey, and if you can provide a bunch of tall obstacles to hinder their swooping action, and provide shelter for the fowl, you stand a much better chance of reducing or eliminating predation from raptors. The raptors here go to the neighbors' instead because they have no obstacles or shelter for their chickens and ducks.
GreyhoundGuy likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 10:39 AM

View P89DC's Photo Album My Photos
My Pyrador (half yellow Lab, half Pyrenees) reacts to birds of prey. He ignores crows but if there's a hawk flying around or perching he's barking up a storm with his "Danger" bark. If I had chickens I wouldn't need to worry, he's have those chicken's backs!

Here's a picture of him watching a hawk, like a hawk....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watching the hawk.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	347377  

Click image for larger version

Name:	the hawk.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	347385  

Kerrys likes this.
post #9 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 10:59 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Neighbor had chickens. I hate them. Grandfather raised chickens commercially and during the summer I would stay and work at his farm. I enjoyed working on the farm but grew to dislike chickens. He had about a thousand of the useless fowl. Only time I enjoyed them was slaughter time and fried. Biggest threats we had were coyotes and raccoons. Coons are cunning little critters and may have taken more chickens than the ‘yotes.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 11:03 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
One time we were inundated with grass hoppers, my wife read Guineas were real good grasshopper eaters so we ended up get 21 of them. All was well she fixed up on old calf shed to house them in at night and free range during the day.

It all worked out great, except when there was a storm brewing, the Guineas wouldn't go to the roost, so as the summer progressed we lost 3-4 each time a storm blew through, we finally got down to one left, we named it Lucky

One afternoon I was in the office doing paper work, and all of a sudden the cackle of Lucky and the screech of some raptor, in the collision they hit the wall of the office so hard it knocked a picture off the wall

Lucky wasn't Lucky anymore LOL

There is no app for experience
post #11 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 11:08 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
Neighbor had chickens. I hate them. Grandfather raised chickens commercially and during the summer I would stay and work at his farm. I enjoyed working on the farm but grew to dislike chickens. He had about a thousand of the useless fowl. Only time I enjoyed them was slaughter time and fried. Biggest threats we had were coyotes and raccoons. Coons are cunning little critters and may have taken more chickens than the ‘yotes.

In the spring we used to get about 250,000 poult turkeys and put them in 3 120x720 brooder houses, we would raise them to range size (we were free range before free range was cool) about 5-6 LBS, he would sell off all but about 80,000, I hated those damned turkeys so bad it is one of the reasons I joined the Air Force as soon as I turned 17 ( I somehow missed the point there was a war going on LOL)

That was the last year he raised turkeys, also got a skid steer loader to clean the hog houses with and A/C in the new tractors, didn't take long to figure out who the Peon in the family was LOL

There is no app for experience
post #12 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 12:53 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
I had chickens at one time when I lived in the country. One night a weasel got in the pen and killed 13 chickens, two peacocks, and three, gennies. The weasel didn't eat any of them, just killed them. Boy was I mad.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
when I was a kid we raised chickens and rabbits. Had one duck, that laid eggs. My job before school was to feed and water them all. The duck egg from the Pekin duck would be my breakfast. .. A beagle got my duck, a 12 ga got the beagle. Every four or five months the whole family would be required to help kill and dress chickens and rabbits. I didn't mind the rabbits, but dressing out chickens is a major PIA. to this day, I would go hungry before dressing out a chicken, (unless I could just skin it.)

I love domestic rabbit broiled and served with butter. Or marinated in red wine and sauteed in garlic butter. It is just too big a PIA to order one at the market.

Had a coyote in the pasture a few weeks ago and saw it snooping around the barn last October. All my weapons burned in the house fire three years ago, so the only anti coyote measures at the time was a 22 rf. That has since been remedied.
Catpower likes this.
post #14 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 04:38 PM

View Cephus's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
I had chickens at one time when I lived in the country. One night a weasel got in the pen and killed 13 chickens, two peacocks, and three, gennies. The weasel didn't eat any of them, just killed them. Boy was I mad.
I find it weird that animals do that. Many years ago, we were raising mice for our snakes and one day, a small snake got out of its cage and got into the mouse cage. It killed every single one of them. It didn't eat any (they were too big) but it just moved from mouse to mouse and took it out. You'd think at some point they'd just give up.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
I find it weird that animals do that. Many years ago, we were raising mice for our snakes and one day, a small snake got out of its cage and got into the mouse cage. It killed every single one of them. It didn't eat any (they were too big) but it just moved from mouse to mouse and took it out. You'd think at some point they'd just give up.
Sounds like some humans.
post #16 of 26 Old 03-10-2018, 04:51 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Bloodlust seems to be lurking deep inside all of us and animals. Fox and chickens come to mind as well as dogs and sheep.
Watching Lawrence of Arabia, had an example.
johnep
post #17 of 26 Old 03-10-2018, 04:35 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
The stories remind me of the time we visited a friend's farm. He proudly gave us a tour, naming the various large animals - the sheep, the cow, the pig, etc. There are also lots of chickens (okay, mostly hens) running around. There were far too many to name them all. I pointed at one of them and asked kiddingly, "What is its name?"

Without hesitation, he said, "That one is 'Thanksgiving' ... and that one is 'Christmas'."
gj13us likes this.
post #18 of 26 Old 03-10-2018, 05:34 PM

View Cephus's Photo Album My Photos
A friend in 4H raised a pig that was named "Dinner". Another had one called "Bacon". I guess that makes it easier when the time comes.
Kerrys and Tool Agnostic like this.
post #19 of 26 Old 03-10-2018, 07:05 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
A friend in 4H raised a pig that was named "Dinner". Another had one called "Bacon". I guess that makes it easier when the time comes.
I used to live on an island in Puget Sound. Population about a thousand folks. The place had two primary watering holes (bars). A couple of us bought six pigs to raise and after having a few beers we got the idea to name them after the bartenders at those watering holes. Once word got around, which doesn’t take long on an island, that we named the pigs after the bartenders we were all temporarily booted from those bars.
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #20 of 26 Old 03-10-2018, 07:12 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Well, as Zac Brown's lyrics say "You can get another one for a $1.79.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode