Coal Industry Shutdown - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

View skymonkey's Photo Album My Photos
Coal Industry Shutdown

One of the biggest coal companies in east Ky shutdown yesterday permenantly laying off 750+ employees. It was centered right here in my area. Its a ghost town today. No coal trucks and not alot of traffic on the road. A few months ago they scaled back thier operations and that forced alot of small businesses to close. Now there are only one gas station, 2 grocery stores, and 2 places to get hot food and both of those are inside the grocery stores. The coal company that shut down is also the owner of the properties I guide my elk hunters on and they also closed it to hunting. There are rumors that the railroad is also going to have a major layoff. If so I am screwed. Coal shuts down, the railroad shuts down, nobody with money so all the other businesses shut down. It trickles down. I hope I have enough senoirity to be able to hold my job with CSX. I have just over 5 years and my buddy has about a year and a half. I can prolly hold but I would have to move and I doubt my friend will even be able to do that. I am hearing its because of the over regulation and rejected mining permits of the coal industry. Obama has done it just like he said he would. He has killed COAL. Now I cant wait to hear all the wining when electric bills go sky high because of "alternative clean energy". Everyone here will NOT vote for Obama despite being mostly Democratic and I am hoping they wont vote for Romney either because he has plans to take our railroad retirement and turn it into social security. I pay double the taxes of social security so we can draw more upon retirement. That money will be permenantly lost if this happens. There is nobody worthy of my vote this year who has even a remote chance of winning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 06:44 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's true about coal being phased out.

I hadn't heard about the RR retiremnt being used for SS. Those retirement accounts are protected AFAIK. SS will be broke regardless. Why? Less people working now by far, so less people paying SS taxes in and more people taking money out.
It always was a Ponzi scheme and unsustainable.

This country is SO broke, Romney is our only HOPE of coming out of this. WE need to run the country like a business, and not spend more than we take in. We can't pay the INTEREST on the debt, much less pay back the debt. We have already borrowed/mortgaged our children's future to China.

Even T Boone Pickens, the big promoter of Natural Gas, has recently admitted that wind power is not an economical way of producing power after investing 15 Million. Solar has proven just as bad, and the Govt keeps giving federally (taxpayer$$) funded/backed loans to solar companies, owned by Obama's buddies. Go Figure.
North Dakota is booming because it is sitting on an energy stockpile. You can't even rent a motel room in a major city I hear.

WE need to prevent this diabolical takeover of our energy resources by the Greens and do common sense, clean energy production and coal can be made clean.

I saw an electric/battery power bicycle this AM. What an oxy"moron". The guy just sat on it, turned it on and moved off without even pedaling. He's probably in great shape....right.
I rode a bike until I was 21 years old all over Chicago. I could go about 20 MPH in a full kick. I couldn't go 20 miles in 2 days now....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-22-2012 at 06:47 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I always thought that mining permits were within state jurisdiction.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

View skymonkey's Photo Album My Photos
All I know is they were not issued and steam coal prices are currently around $60 a ton which is less then it can be mined for. Its getting ugly around here fellas. It will be atleast a year before things pick back up. They gotta run out sometime.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 04:13 AM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
I'm glad I work in the oil and chemical industry. Oil isn't going anywhere in my lifetime.

I hate to hear about your misfortune. I wouldn't wait until you have to; make plans now.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
I always thought that mining permits were within state jurisdiction.
Our current Federal government is like an Octopus whose arms are growing in number and length. \

Obama wants the Feds to be super supreme.

George
post #7 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 07:52 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
One of the big reasons that the coal industry is loosing share is natural gas. The price of natural gas has come down so much that it makes it hard for coal to compete. The coal fired plants just have to put too much extra money into cleaning the discharge.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode