clean latex paint off of car?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

View jeffbayne's Photo Album My Photos
clean latex paint off of car??

Ok, so one of my customers (honestly, its not me) scuffed his black Lexus against the garage door jamb/frame and got some tan paint on the car- it did not scrape black paint off. What chemical can i use to take the paint off, without doing damage to the automotive paint? I'll rewax it i'm sure, but i don't wanna hurt anything.

Thanks!

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Clean latex paint off car

Don't use any chemicals,all you need to do is get some car buffing compound,I don't know how much paint is there,but usually a fine compound will do the trick,then rewax.I did autobody painting and repair for over 20 yrs.Hope it did't go thru the paint,but if it did,then just touch it up with some paint after you buff it with the compound,then take some wet or dry 600 grit paper and smooth it out,then LIGHTLY buff it again,then wax.Good luck.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 AM

View steve mackay's Photo Album My Photos
Considering the fact that I'm a paranoid (and that does'nt mean they're NOT out to get me !) and the price of a Lexus . . . I'd rub it with some alcohol and stop. If it don't come off with that I'd send it to a pro. Some of these new car finnishes are pretty squirly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Since the paint was dried latex, I would first try to "push" it off with a soft type of plastic edge like a Bondo spreader. If you're careful you could likely do it without damaging the cars' clear coat.

If you successfully get it off and all that remains is residue, I would use a white polishing compound and a damp rag.

post #5 of 9 Old 02-01-2009, 08:00 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Jeff,
I would try some wax first. Even the safe for clearcoat waxes will clean a little bit. If you are going to go any further, I would try a micro polishing compound/glaze. They are far less abrasive than rubbing compound. If you aren't too sure about messing with, you could just have your buddy run it to a friendly body shop. Something like that they should be able to take care of while you wait for not much money.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 01:07 PM

View parksung17's Photo Album My Photos
I am using latex paint for painting on fabric. I am here looking for tips of using latex paint on fabric, please suggest me that how much coats of paint was needed. Suggestions are appreciated.

body paint latex
post #7 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Jeff,
I have seen latex over spray removed from kitchen cabinets (Lacquer finish) with a soft cloth and water. Just gentle rubbing removed the latex over spray.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
"Fume free...Easy-Off",oven cleaner with the Blue label is the de-rigueur in hotrod world for overspray/oops......think,30k+$ paint-jobs.And yes,it works the treat.BW

Last edited by BWSmith; 04-18-2011 at 02:58 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Since the paint was dried latex, I would first try to "push" it off with a soft type of plastic edge like a Bondo spreader. If you're careful you could likely do it without damaging the cars' clear coat.

If you successfully get it off and all that remains is residue, I would use a white polishing compound and a damp rag.

Yes, dry being the operative word. He does not have a chemical bond problem, only a mechanical bond.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode