Being Self Sufficient - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

View skymonkey's Photo Album My Photos
Being Self Sufficient

Rising prices and recient disasters got me thinking a few years ago. Food is getting crazy expensive along with everything else. As the price of oil goes on up everything else will go up even more. Ive always been a person who tries to think ahead and be prepared for things like an ice storm that hit just north of here a few years ago and had power lines down for 3 months for some folks and in the dead of winter. Most people dont have a back up heat source or a generator. I have a wood burning stove for back up. I havent installed it here at the new place yet but it doesnt take long to do it. I have a generator to and 4 tanks of propane (cant get it when something happens). We can everything we can to prevent it spoiling in the freezer in the event of an extended power outage to. All of our deer meat gets canned in the fall along with what we harvest from our garden each year.
My goal is to produce the majority of the food we eat ourselves. There is a large hunk of land here that I can put to use. My only nieghbor is my parents and together we have well over 400 acres including the reclaim mine property adjoining our land that I was lucky enough to get a lease on. Its almost all mountian side though. We have farming equipment to raise our own vegetables and livestock feed when I can find the time to get it all back in working order (just the hay and corn stuff needs repairs). We grow all of our potatoes, beans, corn, broccoli, cauliflower and so forth. Trying to get a fruit orchard, vinyard and a nice size strawberry patch planted as new additions this year. We have chickens that will set and hatch their own eggs to sustain the flock and provide us with meat. They run loose and forage for their own feed and do great at it because I do put out feed for them and they never touch it. We are going to pick up 3 rabbits tomorrow that are of breeding age and for those of you who dont know, rabbits are deliciuos and all white meat and a good doe will drop a litter every 30 days from what Ive heard. I am also looking for a couple hives of bees. We have a few very good first aid kits since we are an hour away from a hospital and EMS normally takes 30 to 45 minutes to arrive in this area. I have a very good selection of guns since it normally takes the police over an hour to arrive, our sherrifs dept is closed in the evenings and weekends....lmao. There is a new show called Doomsday Preppers, they portray these peoples as nuts but there are some really good info on that show if you can see thru the BS. I hope that in the event of a natural disaster or oil crisis or whatever, I can feed my family and fend off those who cant. Anyone else try to be prepared for emergencies? Your all gonna view me as a nut now...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 12:57 AM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Name:  image-4133459206.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  46.0 KB

No your Good
The Following User Says Thank You to MastersHand For This Useful Post:
Itchy Brother (03-18-2012)
post #3 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, me too

I prepped for Y2K and nothin' happened.....
Now we have the Inca calendar, economic collapse, anarchy, Electro Magnetic Pulse, the Iranian Nuclear Bomb, WW3, Riots in the streets in Chicago for the Big 8 meeting this summer, the 99%'s vs the 1 %'s, Unions vs Non-Unions, North vs the South...? You name it, almost anything may happen.
You'll need food,water, shelter, fuel and a means of defense. The shelves in the stores will be empty in 3 days because that's how they operate, on a 3 day margin.
The Doomsday Preppers is a great show and You Tube is filled with info as well. Yankee Prepper is my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...9l1191l13l13l0

The Boy Scouts have it right "Be Prepared"

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 01:21 AM

View bob sacamano's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersHand View Post
Attachment 41094

No your Good

for some reason its become fashionable to blame the rich for everything.
that card is played so much it means nothing to me when i hear it.

build it right or not at all
post #5 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 AM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sacamano

for some reason its become fashionable to blame the rich for everything.
that card is played so much it means nothing to me when i hear it.
Not to run this thread as if it already isn't into the ground . It's not a card it's actually happening here on earth
post #6 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 AM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
You'll know when its really bad when you dont see anymore dogs and cats running loose.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itchy Brother For This Useful Post:
MastersHand (03-18-2012)
post #7 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 AM

View bentwood's Photo Album My Photos
I've never stocked up for uncertain emergency but have always maintained back-up lighting and power sources. I concentrate more on knowing how to use available resources in an emergency. To teach my sons,nephews and grandsons,we camp,fish and hunt useing less than best tools,weapons and supplies available to us. Although we preserve most food in freezers,we can a small amount of fruits,vegitables and meat for our camping trips and make sure everyone knows how it's done. This spring's new project is combining mulching and composting which we know with key hole gardening which is new. Some(not me) are ready for another go at wild cow milking. Keeping it interesting and fun seems to work out well. To make the point some people would starve amid natures abundance,I ocasionaly forfill requests from aquaintances to bring them fish or game. When they see it with fur,fins or feathers intact,they pass because they are either too ignorant or lazy to dress it.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
For those of us that live in the hurricane belt, it's pretty common to be ready. Fortunately there is some warning. Of course there is always that possibility of a nuke attack and everything goes on bake. Other than that, having survival skills might help.

post #9 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 AM

View Murphy's Law's Photo Album My Photos
DW and I have been on the Self Sufficiency (SS) bandwagon for about 5 years now. We have many of the stockpile items, water sources, self security measures, etc. under control. We have livestock (in limited quantities) that include milk/meat goats, chickens, rabbits, honey bees. We eat wild game a couple times every month, too.

We also belong to a small group of like-minded neighbors and we share in the raising of four beef cows and eight pigs every year. We just processed two pigs last weekend. There are four 2-person families in our little group and between us we have 49 acres of tillable land and 68 acres of wooded acreage. We always grow our own sweet and feed corn, hay, and other grains for livestock. We all work together to grow lots of vegetables and fruits.

Our primary concern is that all eight of us are not getting any younger and the hard work required to be SS is difficult. We're all retired (so to speak) and two of us guys are partially disabled. I have a poor excuse of a replacement left hip and knee (thanks to the Tet Offensive in DaNang 1968) and one of the other guys is missing his right arm. Our monetary income is very limited and the rising cost of fuel will most certainly hurt us bad.

President Obama just signed into law on March 16, 2012 another executive order that gives the POTUS the power to confiscate any and all domestic and private resources in time of emergency OR OTHERWISE. The executive orders issued by G.W. Bush and Obama over the past 11 years have given the federal government the power to crush the citizens of the USA with a single stroke of a pen. The American citizens are too fat, too wealthy, too lazy, and dumb to do anything about it.

Last edited by Murphy's Law; 03-18-2012 at 06:18 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murphy's Law For This Useful Post:
skymonkey (03-18-2012), woodnthings (03-18-2012)
post #10 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 08:37 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershand View Post
not to run this thread as if it already isn't into the ground . It's not a card it's actually happening here on earth
??????????????????

G
post #11 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 AM

View Murphy's Law's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
?????????????????? G
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Maybe a reply to a different thread? Too many beers?
post #12 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 AM

View bob sacamano's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersHand View Post
Not to run this thread as if it already isn't into the ground . It's not a card it's actually happening here on earth
it is a card when poeple play it as if the rich are to blame for their country's financial problems.

it is a card when people play it because of their own lot in life - that its some elses fault.

build it right or not at all
post #13 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 11:40 AM
where's my table saw?

I left out one scenario

The Urban areas will run out of food, water and fuel within days...less than a week. Those "inhabitants" will then move outwards into the "burbs" and beyond into the countryside looking for undefended food sources. That's just what will happen, based on a natural desire to survive. The folks in the hills and rural areas will have a better chance to defend themselves as part of their lifestyle in the first place because of the topography and a closer community of friends, neighbors and relatives.
Gangs, thieves and outlaws will be the first threat. The second threat will be those who live closer and who have not prepared and run out of their own backup supplies. It will be difficult to hide the sound of a running generator and fuel will be in short supply. Any wind or solar powered devices will be more quiet and less audible, but more visible. There is no easy answer.
Underground bunkers sound safe and secure but you still need fresh air and a means to power all the typical appliances you stashed in the bunker. A 12 V system with a bicycle powered generator might make sense. Disposing of the human waste will be a problem. Hygiene and medical supplies for infections
need to be stored as well.
The Bunker Builders on the Cable channels think they will be secure in their locked containers...maybe but there are problems with that theory as well. Some folks are spending $10,000 and even $100,000 of dollars to stock up on food, water and ammo, but unless you play out all the scenarios it may not be a foolproof means of survival.

Are the Feds buying and stockpiling huge quantities of freeze dried foods within the last year or so and why? What do they know or worse yet have in mind???
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut...l%20food&type=

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-18-2012 at 12:42 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 12:16 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Kinda reminds me of the old movie "Omega Man".

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 02:57 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sacamano

it is a card when poeple play it as if the rich are to blame for their country's financial problems.

it is a card when people play it because of their own lot in life - that its some elses fault.
I Defiantly agree with you on the Blame the Rich Scenario. My prob is not with the Rich as if it weren't for them I would have been out of Business. I do have a prob with are current leader and most of the decisions being made. I was wondering why you thought I was against the Rich I didn't even really look at what pic said

Name:  image-3652411010.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  54.9 KB
post #16 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 03:47 PM

View diywoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Self sufficiency is a very interesting concept to me. Obviously I consider myself to be decently self sufficient because I'm a woodworker and I can make something instead of buy it. But the rest of the food aspects are lacking here. We have a garden, and that's about it.

I've also been getting my legs in shape for when I need to ride my bicycle because gas is too expensive. (And the weather is great right now)

--Mike

Check out my blog at www.diywoodworker.com
post #17 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 03:51 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
I remember reading somewhere, I don't recall where, that the world would have to be about 4 times its current size for everyone to be self sufficient. It's great if you can, but the world just isn't big enough for it to be a viable option for the vast majority of us. It's awesome that you're trying to do it though.

The country's financial problems are due to one thing. Cash flow. That's all an economy is. As long as cash flows, the economy is great. When people stop spending money, the economy goes to ****. It's nto because "rich people" did something, or didn't do something. It's not because of corporate spending (which is driven by consumer spending) It's got nothing to do with Wall Street. It isn't because "big banks" gave out bad loans. It's because people stopped paying things. A bank can't give you a bad loan. You have to sign the paperwork which clearly tells you what's going to happen and how it can happen. If you're not smart enough to know you can't afford something, you shouldn't apply for the loan.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 PM
where's my table saw?

For the most part you are right

My view is that when the housing boom tapered off, and people got laid off, good honest hardworking carpenters, plumbers, electricians, drywallers etc, and they couldn't find work. Those people then defaulted because they had no income. It all spiraled downward and inward and of course there there "bad loans" made by greedy bankers to people who had no right to sign for a mortagage...all you needed was a heartbeat and a signature. More defaults happened and that meant tighter money and bailouts to Freddy and Fannie...what a waste. I think it was about housing and building, not really banking, but I could be wildly mistaken. Obama's policy of "creating jobs" with government "money"/ tax payer dollars" just can't work. There a finite supply of tax dollars to spend and it ought to be spent on generating jobs by individuals and small companies who will then pay taxes and employ other tax payers who will then buy houses and cars like it used to be. A "government dollar" is a dollar borrowed from our children in my view. Robin Hood who's economic theory of steal from the rich and give to the poor, made a nice outlaw, but would have make a lousy president. Oh! that's who we have now.... bill

BTW a great You Tube on sprouts:

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-18-2012 at 07:53 PM.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 AM

View bentwood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy's Law View Post

Our primary concern is that all eight of us are not getting any younger and the hard work required to be SS is difficult. We're all retired (so to speak) and two of us guys are partially disabled. I have a poor excuse of a replacement left hip and knee (thanks to the Tet Offensive in DaNang 1968) and one of the other guys is missing his right arm. Our monetary income is very limited and the rising cost of fuel will most certainly hurt us bad.
Being phisicaly limited my self is among reasons why I'm trying to see the younger men and women are knowledgable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode