A Beautiful Trip to Tucson - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
A Beautiful Trip to Tucson

Letís see, the weather was OUTSTANDING! The Gem and Mineral show was HUGE, fun and interesting. I found a few nice pieces of Lapis Lazuli for inalys.

Spent most of the time was spent hanging out with our son and his SO. But, I took a side trip to see Bryant, a young man who mills a lot of mesquite and other woods. He has a lot of AWSOME wood. His mesquite selection is huge, varied, and oh, so enticing. Mesquite burls, huge slabs, book matched flitches, straight grained and wild, the possibilities boggle the mind. He also has some Claro Walnut to die for, that he cut from one monstrous log. And, he has some mighty fine Juniper slabs, too. He has one quite large piece of Desert Ironwood that is worth the trip to just see it. Donít try to buy it, though. He calls it his ďPride and JoyĒ. Iíve been to some of the shops in Mexico and seen lots of Iron wood, but Iíve never seen a piece this large before.
If any of you are planning to be in the area, you must contact him @ Mesquite Man sawmilling Phone #520-444-1225, Tucson, AZ and arrange to visit. Well worth your time. Take money, you wonít be able to resist bringing some home! I succumbed, so will you. And, Bryant is just one heckuva nice guy, to boot.
Here is a link to see some of Bryant's stock. http://lumberjocks.com/mesquiteman/projects

The highpoint of our trip was getting to spend some time with Richard, AKA Dusty, and Paul, AKA Shipwright. Dusty/Richard is a long time resident of The Old Pueblo and Paul winters just south of there in Green Valley. He has another shop in Vancouver. We are all Shopsmith users.
Dusty is contemplating embarking on a few furniture projects for his daughters. They should be really nice.
Paul is about to build an old French designed, manually operated marguetry cutter (Chevalet de Marqueterie) that will give him more precision in his designs. I donít see a darned thing wrong with his scroll saw work, though. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/43503

We had only an hour or so to spend together but that hour was some quality time that my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed. We hope to get together again for maybe a shop session.

Living in such a remote area as we do, I donít often get to meet and talk with other woodworkers. This was a special treat for Phyllis and I.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode