ATV tires - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-23-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
ATV tires

Here's a question that surely is off topic but I'm hoping someone out there knows the answer. My 4 wheeler needs new rear tires and I saw some on sale at a tire place today. The tires on my quad are 22-11-8 and the ones on sale are 22-12-8. Can I use them? I did a search and can't seem to find an explanation of the numbers. I know on car tires, the middle number is the ratio of width to height, but I'm not sure about ATV tires.

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Those numbers look like truck tire sizes. There's no ratio in this sizing scheme. The first number is the overall tire height, the second number is the tire width, and the third number is the rim width.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoguy View Post
Those numbers look like truck tire sizes. There's no ratio in this sizing scheme. The first number is the overall tire height, the second number is the tire width, and the third number is the rim width.

Well if he is right, you can use them. They will be a little donut shaped due to the fact they are wider then your old ones. Well I said that not knowing how wide your rims are. Either way they will have a wider foot print.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 PM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
Ts is it for a sport or utility quad?

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
post #5 of 8 Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

It's for a sport quad.

Bud

post #6 of 8 Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoguy View Post
Sorry, I spoke wrong - the third number is the rim diameter (not width). By the way, the units are usually in inches. When I was young, tire companies were just starting to convert to the aspect ratio sizing scheme. I seem to remember tires had a letter in the size ("H" ment tall sidewalls, etc.). I recently helped my brother select some tires for his Jeep, which were 31X10.5X15 (31" tall, 10.5" tread width, and 15" dia rims).
post #7 of 8 Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Well, now I'm in a quandry. The atv is 22 years old. It needs tires. Even though it is old, it runs and looks great because I've always taken good care of it and it has always been inside. But Geeeezzz those tires are expensive. I found out that the ones on sale won't work because of the tread design. So, do I sell the thing or put $200 into it? In fact, I just put $200 into it with a CDI box and a few other small items. So this would be another $200. I ride it around the block once every 2 weeks and that's it. And the only reason I do that is so the gaskets won't dry out and leak.

Bud

post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS3660 View Post
Well, now I'm in a quandry. The atv is 22 years old. It needs tires. Even though it is old, it runs and looks great because I've always taken good care of it and it has always been inside. But Geeeezzz those tires are expensive. I found out that the ones on sale won't work because of the tread design. So, do I sell the thing or put $200 into it? In fact, I just put $200 into it with a CDI box and a few other small items. So this would be another $200. I ride it around the block once every 2 weeks and that's it. And the only reason I do that is so the gaskets won't dry out and leak.
Holy smokes! 22? I'd check e-bay for a used pair that might fit. The guys who race sometimes dump their tires after just a few rides. If you can pin down a set that would fit, you could probably get a set for next to nothing.

That's a lot of money just to ride around the block.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode