Anyone else raise chickens? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

View skymonkey's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone else raise chickens?

My wife and I have 57 chickens. Other then the coop cost they are self sustaining. We sell the eggs we don't use and that more then pays for their feed. I stuck 40 eggs in our new incubator a couple nights ago for a hatch on Thanksgiving. They will live for about 6 to 8 weeks and then hit my freezer....lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-05-2010, 01:53 PM

View qgranfor's Photo Album My Photos
My grandparents used to raise chickens. So, every now and then we'd have to drive a few hours to go slaughter the dang things all day. Man I hated that as a kid. Then of course for dinner grandma would make........chicken.....the last thing I wanted to see on my plate after butchering them all day.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 12:38 AM

View cody.sheridan-2008's Photo Album My Photos
yeah I have about 60 soon to be more as I have a few broodies at the moment. I am actually making an incubator at the moment. It will have a 560 egg capacity auto turn I have plans drawn up on sketchup and as soon as I have a few other large projects finished I plan on starting on this one...

I actually run a business where I make sell and rent pens and the whole cashizzle (package). So my numbers are constantly changing.
Attached Images

Last edited by cody.sheridan-2008; 11-07-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
This thread brings back memories of the day that when you broke an egg into a skilett the white didn't run all over and the yoke was dark yellow sometimes there were even two .
post #5 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
We buy our eggs from a local, and we were going to get some chickens this spring but I dunno what happened. She wanted to get some guineas too because we had so many grasshoppers this year.

We had a bumper crop of praying mantis this year too and because the inside of my shop is white, and at night they (and every other insect) were drawn inside, I had plenty of them to transplant to her garden. They generally stayed put too.

I don't know what happened to the chicken idea though. I reckon we'll still get some. i think she expected me to build some coops or something like that! Got to build tops on them or the Hawks & Eagles will carry them off.

post #6 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 AM

View cody.sheridan-2008's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
We buy our eggs from a local, and we were going to get some chickens this spring but I dunno what happened. She wanted to get some guineas too because we had so many grasshoppers this year.

We had a bumper crop of praying mantis this year too and because the inside of my shop is white, and at night they (and every other insect) were drawn inside, I had plenty of them to transplant to her garden. They generally stayed put too.

I don't know what happened to the chicken idea though. I reckon we'll still get some. i think she expected me to build some coops or something like that! Got to build tops on them or the Hawks & Eagles will carry them off.

All I can say is make sure you do it right once. It makes looking after them sooooo much easier and improves their living conditions. I use fruit tree netting over my runs which keeps the birds at bay. I also have a freind who runs an electric fence wire approx 100mm off the ground around her pens to keep wild dogs (foxes) from digging underneath.

I am just about to build a very large run for some of my birds and can you believe it after I cleared a recently fallen large coral tree from the site which almost squished my new $1500 aviary in front of me another one fell in the same spot and it can't even be burn't
post #7 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 11:51 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
I tried raising chickens once, bought 200 bitties and didn't have any luck with them they all died. I talked to a neighbor who raised chickens and he asked me what i thought happened, i told him i wasn't sure wheather i planted them to deep or to close together .
post #8 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 06:02 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
When I was young, during WWII, we built a chicken coop and had our own chickens. It was really nice having those fresh eggs and some tender, young fried chicken. After we got rid of the chickens I turned the chicken house into a rabbitry.

After I retired from the Air Force I purchased a Feed & Seed store. We not only sold feed but also the chicken biddies and turkey pults. I would have people come in and tell me they chicken/turkey they killed to eat was too dry and strings. I would ask them what they were feeding and it would turn out they were only feeding laying mash/pellets. Without corn or chicken scratch the birds were not getting any feed to produce fat.

George
post #9 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
We had a rooster when I was a kid. Eggs tasted like sh!t.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
we have a dozen barred rock, great eggs and almost as good therapy watching them as woodworking or playing the banjo
post #11 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 05:03 PM
The Man

View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
My brother in law used to raise them just for the meat, but he quit because the price of chicken around here is so cheap its not economical.

I bought eggs from him once. They gave me diarrhea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode