Anybody live near Colorado Springs? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Anybody live near Colorado Springs?

Iíve mentioned before that I plan on moving out of CA when I retire and I really donít know where because I have another 3 years.

I might have an opportunity to buy a place in Colorado Springs, because my son is in the Army and going to be there for 3 yrs. He just moved there and is renting a house. Iím thinking about buying a house there and renting it to my son. He owns a house in Georgia and will probably move back to it when he finishes his assignment in Colorado Springs.

He doesnít know anything about the area and I donít know for sure if I will like to retire there, so Iím asking around to find more info about it.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I went there a couple of years ago on vacation. I wouldn't mind living there. Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gold camp open 4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	65036  

Name:	Manitou Cliff Dwellings.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	65037  

Name:	pikes  peak 3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	65038  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (03-08-2013)
post #3 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Colorado Springs wasnít actually in my list of places to retire too and it just dawned on me after hearing of my sons 1st week of renting problems. Iím going to have my son look around for me when he gets settled in, but it would be great for me if it works out. I want to buy a place now while I can and I want someone that I can trust to live there until I can. I donít want to buy a place and have copper thieves destroying the place or have squatters move in.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I seem to remember there was some real estate out gold camp road that looked reasonable to me for a tourist city. I don't know if you are looking for a place in town or in the country. There was some other real estate in the country closer to the area of the zoo. I would have to get out the map to guess where it was. The road went from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek on the other side of the mountain.

The picture of the cliff dwelling was a place that was faked. In the early 20th century someone found stones from a cliff dwelling in another part of the state that had collapsed. They collected the stones and just fabricated the structure with the stones in Colorado Springs.

The pictures of the mountain were taken from gold camp road. It started out as a blacktop road but as it gets into the mountain it becomes a gravel road. It's in good condition and well maintained though. I thought it was the best part of the vacation. While everything else was so commercialized you could go out there early in the morning and there was almost nobody out there. Once in a while someone would go by on a bicycle. It was extremely quiet out there. All you could hear was the sound of the stream below and a few birds.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM

View flip18436572's Photo Album My Photos
I don't live there, but it is a BEAUTIFUL part of our country to live in. I would prefer less snow, but I do like the mountains for the great views.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
It's beautiful, but if cold isn't your cup of tea (as most retirees seem to be inclined toward warmer climates) I would suggest some place else. Also , as I understand it, the politics are left-leaning (may or may not be a problem for you) and it gets cold as all get out and lots (LOTS) of snow. Shoveling/snowblowing 4-5 months a year can get tiresome. Depends upon where exactly you live but road closures due to snow aren't that uncommon either. We're not talking side-roads but major highways. Something to consider.

EDIT: I've never actually lived there, but my daughter is considering Colorado State University as one of her top three...
post #7 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 03:37 PM
jsr

View jsr's Photo Album My Photos
I'm about 45 minutes north of the Springs. Why?
post #8 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
I'm about 45 minutes north of the Springs. Why?
LOL, I guess I didn’t explain myself very well. I’m just wondering if I want to live there for the rest of my life, but after thinking about it, I’m just not so sure anymore because of the snow.

It’s just that everyplace I’ve ever lived, there were bad neighborhoods and good ones. You can avoid the bad ones by paying the price and buy an expensive home, but I’m not a rich man and my retirement is going to be worse, so I’m looking for someplace cheap. I’ll have plenty of time to do fixer-ups but not enough money to tear down & rebuild.

I also need a little room so I can do stuff without bothering my neighbors and don’t want to live in a housing track. I personally would love it out in the boonies, but my wife on the other hand is a very social person who loves people and neighbors.

My son needs to work while he lives there and it would have to be close to town for work and school for his kids. As I get older I may also have to be close to town anyway for medical reasons, so I guess I’m looking for town living information. I would not want to end up on the wrong side of town. I’ve been there and done that. LOL

I admit that I wasn’t thinking about snow and that might be a problem. We got about an inch of snow here today and I don’t mind that too much, but I have to say the cold really bothered me this year more so than any other year.

Well anyway the more I think about the cold and snow, I may have to stick with desert living. There are so many places that I just love here close by and it’s just too bad that CA as gone so far downhill with the taxes and politics. There is just no way I can stay here.

JohnnyB
post #9 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 PM

View JMartel's Photo Album My Photos
What about Oregon/Washington? Salem, OR is pretty cheap. The Northwest is awesome. I just moved here from the East Coast and don't think I'm ever going back. Some of the WA towns/small cities aren't terribly expensive. On this side of the Cascades, we basically don't get snow unless you are above the 2000' elevation line. Maybe one or two days a year. I can count the number of days it was below 30 degrees on one hand and still have fingers left over.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartel View Post
What about Oregon/Washington? Salem, OR is pretty cheap. The Northwest is awesome. I just moved here from the East Coast and don't think I'm ever going back. Some of the WA towns/small cities aren't terribly expensive. On this side of the Cascades, we basically don't get snow unless you are above the 2000' elevation line. Maybe one or two days a year. I can count the number of days it was below 30 degrees on one hand and still have fingers left over.
I did think of WA a few years ago when I guy I knew was retiring there. He worked for another employer doing exactly the same job as I did, but he had a much better retirement plan than I did. He had bought his retirement home ten years prior and was pretty much set. When I looked around the same place he was, I realized that I couldn’t afford it at that point.

Anyway, I was talking to my son in Colorado Springs and he seemed to be pretty excited about the idea. Then it occurred to me that even if I did buy something there, I would at least have a place to go as soon as I retire and if I didn’t like it, I could then either sell it or rent it and move south to NM or something.

The biggest advantage depending on what I buy is that I could build a large storage building on the property and start moving my stuff into it before I retire. The storage shed could then be my workshop when I move into the house. I would have my son on the property to watch it and I could make 2 or 3 trips a year. Then I will only have one large truck load to move by the time I retire and I’m gone.

Google maps says it’s a 17hr drive one way and I should be able to make a round trip in one 3 day weekend if my wife and I take turns driving while the other naps. I think I could only do 3 of those a year, otherwise it will have to be a 4 day weekend.

I still need to find out information about taxes and things like that.

JohnnyB

Last edited by Sleeper; 03-09-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode