Any Golf Players Here? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Any Golf Players Here?

I've recently taken up Golf after my vacation to Florida this past October. I bought some used clubs but they were blade type which I later learned or more for very experienced to pro players. I just found a new set of Taylormade R7 Irons which should be a good bit easier to play yet not beginner clubs. Anyway I got them 4 throug 9 plus the pitch, gap and sand wedges for $80.00 which I knew was a good price. However I showed them to my neighbor who bought the exact set in 2007 for $2300. I looked then up on line and they are selling for $300 plus on several sites right now. I also got a new Taylomade Rocket Ball Z Driver for Christmas. All I need now as soon as I get a little better is a new Hybrid as well as 3 and 5 woods

I think I got a pretty good deal.

Anyway just checking to see who might play and see what you think.

I know this I'm pretty hooked. I play once if not twice a week. The past two weeks I've had rough Wednesdays playing golf during the day and pool league at night.

Last edited by rrbrown; 03-25-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not a golfer, but a friend of mine is and talked another friend and myself to go golfing. I wasn't really looking forward to playing. We got to the course, and I was pleased that there wasn't thousands of people being held back, with an announcer whispering into a microphone.

It was just the three of us. We got golf carts and went to tee off. I missed the ball only once. We got to the second hole (eventually), and made our shots. Then we carted off to the next one. It was then that we found a cool path, and we did some cart competition. That's when golfing was fun...when you can have a ball driving the hell out of the golf carts.

Anyway we were advised to "cool it". I haven't played since, but I do have a suggestion for making it more fun. When you tee off, you have to run after the ball and hit it again before it hits the ground.

post #3 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
I've recently taken up Golf after my vacation to Florida this past October. I bought some used clubs but they were blade type which I later learned or more for very experienced to pro players. I just found a new set of Taylormade R7 Irons which should be a good bit easier to play yet not beginner clubs. Anyway I got them 4 throug 9 plus the pitch, gap and sand wedges for $80.00 which I knew was a good price. However I showed them to my neighbor who bought the exact set in 2007 for $2300. I looked then up on line and they are selling for $300 plus on several sites right now. I also got a new Taylomade Rocket Ball Z Driver for Christmas. All I need now as soon as I get a little better is a new Hybrid as well as 3 and 5 woods

I know this I'm pretty hooked. I play once if not twice a week. The past two weeks I've had rough Wednesdays playing golf during the day and pool league at night.
You got a good deal
Graphite or steel shafts?

Learn the short game.
You can practice almost anywhere.
Flop shots, bump and run, little chips around the greens.
......and putting.....

Whackin' a ball as hard as you can off the tee is only a very very small part of the game.

Learning more about tools everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I'm not a golfer, but a friend of mine is and talked another friend and myself to go golfing. I wasn't really looking forward to playing. We got to the course, and I was pleased that there wasn't thousands of people being held back, with an announcer whispering into a microphone.

It was just the three of us. We got golf carts and went to tee off. I missed the ball only once. We got to the second hole (eventually), and made our shots. Then we carted off to the next one. It was then that we found a cool path, and we did some cart competition. That's when golfing was fun...when you can have a ball driving the hell out of the golf carts.

Anyway we were advised to "cool it". I haven't played since, but I do have a suggestion for making it more fun. When you tee off, you have to run after the ball and hit it again before it hits the ground.

Thanks I'll keep it in mind.

You have nice courses around there. Here they are ok, the good ones are expensive and I can't afford them. I have one 10 min from the house but its $75 - $90 a round each. I definitely can't afford that on my pension. Maybe if I was a officer because then I'd have money to spare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
You got a good deal
Graphite or steel shafts?

Learn the short game.
......and putting.....

Whackin' a ball as hard as you can off the tee is only a very very small part of the game.
Steel shafts and yes that's kind of what my neighbor said. He has a handicap of 8 so he knows a little I guess. My brothers old business partner before Katrina played on the Pro tour for years so When I get a little better I want to play a few games with him and maybe learn a little more. I think he still hits par or better so hopefully he has a few pointers also.

I have lots of room for improvement but its fun.
post #5 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 AM

As long as you have fun and don't take it too seriously it can be a blast.

Another benefit at our age is to find courses that you can walk.
Too many courses these days are golf cart only.
This is Not how the game is indented to be played.
When you walk, you can actually end up playing better.
It conditions your legs and back so you're able to put a better move on the ball.

Sitting in a compfy chair, drinking beer should be done in the clubhouse.

post #6 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Been playing for almost 20 years.
I am still using my older set of Mizuno MP-29's which are a hand forged blade.

I am not a fan of cavity back clubs as I like to work the ball right to left, left to right, high and low.

50% of your strokes are from 100 yards and in, practice those and putting to really see your game improve.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Any hole-in-ones ????
Eagles?
Double eagles?
Pars in a row?
Birdies in a row?
Highest score on a hole?
Longest putt ?
Shortest putt missed?

post #8 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 AM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I've been playing for about 8 years. It's the toughest game I have ever attempted. Just when you think you got it your game goes to pot. This past week I shot 37 on the front nine and went to the back and shot a 43. I enjoy it most of the time, however it can be frustrating.
Tom
post #9 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
tc said
Quote:
Learn the short game.
......and putting.....

Drive for show, putt for dough!

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #10 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
I go to the golf course and hit a little white ball I have to go find all the time.....does that count? Seriously, I started about 6 years ago. My clubs are maybe 300 buck if even that much. I love the hybrids. Honestly, I have used a friends clubs that are 1000's of bucks and I can't tell the difference. When I was playing daily I could do OK. Only activity tha I do not get upset if I don't do well.

Anyhoo...sounds like you got a good deal. Hope you enjoy your new hobby.
post #11 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
I've been playing for about 8 years. It's the toughest game I have ever attempted. Just when you think you got it your game goes to pot. This past week I shot 37 on the front nine and went to the back and shot a 43. I enjoy it most of the time, however it can be frustrating.
Tom
I think that's where frustration comes from.
You play well and it seems easy and natural.
You play bad and you can't understand how the same person who just played so well, suddenly can't make that ball do anything.WTF???

post #12 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM

View craigwbryant's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Been playing for about 13 years now. The best money I've ever spent on golf was for lessons from a pro. You can buy the most up to date equipment, but if your swing is garbage, your results will be garbage. Check with some of the local courses, find a pro, and take a few lessons. If I had the intelligence to do this when I started the game it wouldn't have been so tough for me to un-learn some bad habits later on. I spent 5 years trying to break 100, couldn't do it to save my life. Then went through about 4-5 lessons with a pro and I haven't shot over 90 since then and I'm able to keep it respectable in the low-mid 80's most days now. I still go see a pro about once a year, just to check on things.
post #13 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Well Doctors today. I have a 1.5 hour trip each way for the VA so tomorrow hopefully we get to go play and I can try the new clubs.
post #14 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 AM

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
we have had really warm temps most of winter here....in January I got on ebay a really nice set of callaway X-22's which I have been wanting for years. since then it has been really cold and windy, yesterday/ last night /this morning it snowed over a foot. the golf gods do not want me out with my new clubs.....
I also got a couple of callaway hybrids on ebay.

for those of you that want used clubs, ebay and craigs list is the way to go.
post #15 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911

I think that's where frustration comes from.
You play well and it seems easy and natural.
You play bad and you can't understand how the same person who just played so well, suddenly can't make that ball do anything.WTF???
You know why they call it "Golf"? All the good 4 letter words were already taken!
Tom
post #16 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwbryant View Post
I still go see a pro about once a year, just to check on things.
Pros take a lesson on the average of once a week.....
It might be a putting lesson one week. The next week it's bunker play or working on shaping the ball.
That's one of the reasons they're so good in all aspects of the game.

post #17 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Pros take a lesson on the average of once a week.....
It might be a putting lesson one week. The next week it's bunker play or working on shaping the ball.
That's one of the reasons they're so good in all aspects of the game.
And thats why I'm not a pro golfer. I wish I had the time to take a lesson at least once a week, unfortunately work and family get in the way. I'll settle for being tops in my weekend 4-some!
post #18 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwbryant View Post
And thats why I'm not a pro golfer. I wish I had the time to take a lesson at least once a week, unfortunately work and family get in the way. I'll settle for being tops in my weekend 4-some!
Didn't mean to imply.
Pro golfers go to work to be pro golfers.....that's what they do...all day .....

post #19 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Didn't mean to imply.
Pro golfers go to work to be pro golfers.....that's what they do...all day .....
I knew what you meant...and I envy pro golfers, I wish I could get paid to play a game! I read somewhere once that Tiger hits 2000 golf balls a week, thats like playing 30 rounds of golf a week (obviously goes quicker since he doesn't have to walk between shots). Thats just insane.
post #20 of 32 Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

The first thing that you need to do is ask around about golf instructors in your area. Go take lessons from one who is recommended. Do not think you can teach yourself. And your worst friend is the one who thinks he/she can tell you what to do.\

Follow up this instruction with a lesson at least once a year. Take the lessons more then once if practicable. If you do not do this you can get into a bad habit(s) and never know what you are doing.

You are too early in your golfing carpeer to be trying flop shots. I put a piece of carpet on my drive and hit chips into a basket on the lawn. Or at least I try to hit into the basket.

On a par 72 golf course, 36 of those shots are assumed to be putts.

Adams golf now seems to be manufacturing the most recommended hybrids.

Be sure to have a golf shop/instructor check your swing speed. More then likely you will want "R" flex(regular).

And most of all, enjoy yourself. As they say, for us amateurs golf is just a game. That said, it is still hard to take a double bogey on a hole.

Good luck.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode