Ace Hardware - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Ace Hardware

TV commercial stating that Saturday, Feb 16. all day...20% off anything that fits in a paper Ace shopping bag (appears to be like the big grocery type).

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
trc65 (02-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 PM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Oh I sure wish we had an Ace Hardware store around here. We had one only 2 miles away up to 5-6 years ago before closing up forever. They seemed to have a lot more actual hardware than Lowes or Home Depot and now I have to order everything on line.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 AM

View Tommie Hockett's Photo Album My Photos
there is one about thirty minutes away from me I might have too go check it out. Chellie was making fun of me when she saw it earlier. she said that I would probably try and fit a table saw in the bag. She knows me too well... I don't think they sell table saws though haha

"Courage is not knowing about when to take a life, but knowing when to spare it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 AM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
I personally do not shop at my local ACE. it annoys me they are in your face at this particular one soon as you walk in the door. i believe when you say "oh im after a few things thanks" they should get the message to let you just browse about. The manager has also on occasion come off at me with kind of an attitude. Maybe its because im smart enough to realize anything in that store beyond hardware is over priced?
We are fortunate enough in my neighborhood to still have a small non chain hardware store, its an awesome place and it seems like you can find just about anything under the sun in that place.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 05:30 AM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd1976 View Post
..... it annoys me they are in your face at this particular one soon as you walk in the door. ....
Oh I hate that too. We have a Radio Shack like that. They donít know anything about what Iím doing and will not let me just browse to look for ideas. Most of the time Iím designing on the fly and my plan is evolving from whatís available in stock.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 AM

View wood_chucker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I personally do not shop at my local ACE. it annoys me they are in your face at this particular one soon as you walk in the door. i believe when you say "oh im after a few things thanks" they should get the message to let you just browse about. The manager has also on occasion come off at me with kind of an attitude. Maybe its because im smart enough to realize anything in that store beyond hardware is over priced?
We are fortunate enough in my neighborhood to still have a small non chain hardware store, its an awesome place and it seems like you can find just about anything under the sun in that place.
You don't live in woodbury do ya lol. That sounds a lot like our ace hardware, and yes everything in that store. Seems dramatically overpriced.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM

View mikekahle's Photo Album My Photos
My Ace is way over priced, but the staff don't follow me around. I get greeted when I enter and as I head down the center isle I am usually asked if I can be helped. 9 times out of 10 I will say I am looking for blablabla and they will point me in the right direction. If I tell them I am just looking, they tell me that if I need help to find them and leave me alone....
RadioShack on the other hand.... Cannot get them to leave you alone.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I have a friend that is a manager at a local Ace, and his store was closed, and then opened again under new management. He was telling me that Ace is starting to push the "in your face" customer service, primarily to curtail shoplifting. Apparently, there is more theft in hardware stores versus any other types of stores, according to him. In the first year that they instituted the new policy, their in store "losses" went down 67%. I doubt they will be dropping that policy anytime soon.

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to thegrgyle For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (02-17-2013)
post #9 of 12 Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I like ACE but they are more expensive. I have one 1 mile from my house so they get a lot of my piddly business. Big purchases are still done elsewhere though. It is nice to get a $5 reward every now and then. I did take advantage of their Valspar deal which was buy one gallon get one free. THAT was a hell of a deal for a nearly $30 / gallon paint. They clearance stuff out sometimes pretty low too, especially cold weather clothing.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I like Ace, one reason is you can buy more made in America there. They are close and for the cost difference in gas to drive across town Ace wins.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 AM

View mikekahle's Photo Album My Photos
I can see that approach saving money in losses due to theft, but I also see it causing losses due to customers not liking it and not coming back.
Years ago I stopped using radio shack because whenever you checked out they always wanted your name and phone number. I pay cash, they don't need my info. the last time I used them for a few years the guy checking me out asked for my name I said johnny cash, and showed him the cash in my hand. He argued with me that he needed my real name or he could not proceed with the check out. His manager hear and came over and finally told him it was ok....
post #12 of 12 Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM

View SeniorSitizen's Photo Album My Photos
The "in your face" employes are working on a commission whether it be a hardware store or car sales. And one time is enough for me.

I suspect I'm fortunate to have an Ace that's terrific both in price and service.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 02-18-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode