2600 Photos held hostage by Photobucket - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 16Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Angry 2600 Photos held hostage by Photobucket

I just realized that Photobucket wants $399.99 to share my photos in forums. At first I thought it was this forum who wasn’t accepting them and finally today I noticed that none of my images are visible at any of the places I ever posted.

I found out that I can download them to my computer, but only one at a time and 2600 photos are going to take forever.I think I have copies of most of them on my computer, but I had them all organized and named along with descriptions in Photobucket. I will probably delete everything on Photobucket and cancel my account.

I had to do this once before on Flickr many years ago when they wanted to charge and I lost a lot of photos in the process.
new2woodwrk likes this.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-23-2017, 09:45 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Really we would rather you upload pictures directly to this site rather than using a third party. Often someone resurrects an old thread and it doesn't make any sense if a bunch of pictures are missing do to them not being still present from a third party.
Sleeper, new2woodwrk and Toolman50 like this.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-23-2017, 10:11 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Really we would rather you upload pictures directly to this site rather than using a third party. Often someone resurrects an old thread and it doesn't make any sense if a bunch of pictures are missing do to them not being still present from a third party.
I have to use a third party site as well as I am unable to upload any images this site - I get an error whenever I try

I'm currently using postimage dot org since it's free so I can feel for the OP and the loss of all those images :(
Sleeper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-23-2017, 10:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post
I have to use a third party site as well as I am unable to upload any images this site - I get an error whenever I try

I'm currently using postimage dot org since it's free so I can feel for the OP and the loss of all those images :(
I could help you with pictures from a computer but I would be lost trying to upload from a phone.

When you upload from a computer you have to pay attention to the file size. I often have to run the picture through photoshop and adjust the size of the picture before I can post it.
Attached Images

new2woodwrk likes this.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 11-24-2017 at 10:20 AM.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-23-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I started with Photobucket because it was free as long as you didn't go over the limit which i'm not even close to. I was active in a number of forums and sometimes posting the same photos so it made it easier. Plus I HAD control over my photos when forums set time limits on editing.
new2woodwrk likes this.

JohnnyB
post #6 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 01:01 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Rule number one is to never rely on a third party as an archive, use them for your convince if you must but always keep copies on some kind of media that you have in your possession, big external hard drives are cheap these days or at least make CD or DVD backups.

ďEverything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.Ē
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #7 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 12:08 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
I can't agree any more. I've lost many images in a comp crash before. I may be overboard now BUT I've never relied on a 3rd party.....they are fine for their purpose as a backup (meaning #2 0r 3 in line) BUT not as your ONLY source.

I have a "personal" cloud/ wireless dual back-up AND most of my photos are burned to a disc as a 3rd/4th BUT primary resource....I've considered the true "cloud" in the internet world BUT I still have trust and privacy issues re long term security.

I hope original poster can get them back reasonably BUT I wish more that this is a learning experience for many on storage and back-up......ALWAYS multiples!!!!
Sleeper and new2woodwrk like this.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 12:21 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Tim View Post
I can't agree any more. I've lost many images in a comp crash before. I may be overboard now BUT I've never relied on a 3rd party.....they are fine for their purpose as a backup (meaning #2 0r 3 in line) BUT not as your ONLY source.

I have a "personal" cloud/ wireless dual back-up AND most of my photos are burned to a disc as a 3rd/4th BUT primary resource....I've considered the true "cloud" in the internet world BUT I still have trust and privacy issues re long term security.

I hope original poster can get them back reasonably BUT I wish more that this is a learning experience for many on storage and back-up......ALWAYS multiples!!!!
I do the same with all my files:

• Back up my entire drive to my personal cloud - I do not trust the internet or any 3rd party site
  • Back up my cloud to a multi-terrabyte disk
  • All pictures that I care about get burned to a dvd as well
Only way to be 100% sure, is rely on yourself and backup, backup, backup!
post #9 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 12:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
some of this depends on your camera/phone

Back when digital cameras came along I bought 2 of the 6490 Kodak cameras 4.0 megapixels, with removable memory SD cards. Once the SD card gets so loaded it takes too long to bring up the program "Easy Share" I just replace that card with a newer one. So far now I have about 10 SD cards that contain all my digital photos AND they are also loaded into the Easy Share program on my computers. I suppose I should also download all the photos to a separate hard drive which I also have as a 3rd backup. A truly "smart" move move would be to keep the SD cards in a fireproof safe as well. I am a firm believer in having a backup to your backup.....

Now, as to the smart phones, mine is a Samsung Note 5, love it. I have all those photos stored in a Google account on the cloud ... it does so automatically and to the Verizon cloud, an option you can choose. I don't know enough about those phone, but I don't think the photos are stored on the phone itself?

The smart phone photos are so much better and accessible than the Kodak ones, but are a bit more difficult to download to this site.
There is a USB wire method and a download from the cloud method, neither of which I can remember off hand how it works.

:frown2:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-24-2017 at 12:38 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 12:58 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Backups should be a part of everyoneís computing procedures. Use the cloud, use external hard drives, use cd/dvd. Whatever, backup everything regularly and test your backups regularly by doing test restores or retrievalís to make sure they are working.

I worked as an IT professional for 25 years. I learned early on the importance of backups. On several occasions, because I was insistent on comprehensive, functional backups I was able to save large amounts of company data, minimize downtime and prevent the occurrence of an RGE (resume generating event).

My procedure for personal data is a set of weekly rotating external drives which contain backups of all personal data, images, and non-program information. I have also scanned personal documents such as insurance policies, titles, birth certificates, licenses, etc and keep a copy of these scans on the drives. These are stored in a fireproof safe. In case of an emergency I could easily grab one of the drives and put it my pocket and have almost every important document pertaining to our life. I also periodically upload backups to two different cloud services. The information is encrypted and I am the only one with the key. Could it be compromised? Sure, but I donít know who is going to spend the time trying to break into an old, broke hippieís documents. The reward isnít there.
Sleeper likes this.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 01:12 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I just realized that Photobucket wants $399.99 to share my photos in forums. At first I thought it was this forum who wasnít accepting them and finally today I noticed that none of my images are visible at any of the places I ever posted.

I found out that I can download them to my computer, but only one at a time and 2600 photos are going to take forever.I think I have copies of most of them on my computer, but I had them all organized and named along with descriptions in Photobucket. I will probably delete everything on Photobucket and cancel my account.

I had to do this once before on Flickr many years ago when they wanted to charge and I lost a lot of photos in the process.
You could try this add-on for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pkeopelc?hl=en

In theory, it should allow you to download by album, at least. It was updated this month, so it likely still works, and if not... well, it was $2. It's not that much of a loss.
Sleeper likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to amckenzie4 For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (11-24-2017)
post #12 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I haven't used the cloud because I just don't trust the security of it. I guess I'll have to give it a chance at least with the photos because they are open to the public on Photobucket anyway. I'm definitely not ready to put personal financial stuff on the cloud.

JohnnyB

Last edited by Sleeper; 11-24-2017 at 02:19 PM.
post #13 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amckenzie4 View Post
You could try this add-on for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pkeopelc?hl=en

In theory, it should allow you to download by album, at least. It was updated this month, so it likely still works, and if not... well, it was $2. It's not that much of a loss.
This looks very promising and the comments were positive for what I want. I started to purchase it and then I saw in the print below the credit card info that said by doing this I will open up a Google Payment Account which scared me. I'm afraid to open up a way for google to take my money. I really want this program, but I'll have to think about it a bit.

JohnnyB
post #14 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I just realized that Photobucket wants $399.99 to share my photos in forums. At first I thought it was this forum who wasnít accepting them and finally today I noticed that none of my images are visible at any of the places I ever posted.

There is a way to download multiple files on PB, either albums, or select the files you want to download. You will have to poke around a little as it isn't immediately obvious. I deleted my PB account and got all of my pics in a few zip files downloaded quick and easy.

Quote:
I haven't used the cloud because I just don't trust the security of it. I guess I'll have to give it a chance at least with the photos because they are open to the public on Facebook anyway. I'm definitely not ready to put personal financial stuff on the cloud.
Most everything is going "cloud", it's really nothing more than hardware owned by someone else that you rent. It's all virtualized so you pay for what you sue. The cloud providers won't have a security issue, it's the clients coming in that will have the issues. This website, and most others, including Photobucket, Imgur, etc. are all in "the cloud", they likely don't have much hardware on premise, they are paying to have it hosted elsewhere(in the "cloud")...
Sleeper likes this.
post #15 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amckenzie4 View Post

I can't thank you enough for this link. I broke down and took the chance. It really works great except that it only downloads one folder at a time and not sub-folders so you have to do sub-folders first before deleting them.

I did make one mistake and lost some images because I thought it downloaded the entire folder but it only does up to 100 images at a time. I'm still trying to figure out how to delete only those images that were downloaded from Photobucket without deleting the ones that weren't downloaded.

JohnnyB
post #16 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Well Googles Photobucket download app is really helping to speed this process up although I did lose over a hundred images before I realized it in the process. I donít know if there is an easier way, but I started splitting up all the folders with over 100 images so I can download and delete them from Photobucket.

Iím only half way done and still have to open and organize all the zip files. I'm going to take break for a while so I can get some stuff done outside.

The real shame about this is that I have 1000ís of posts as well as quite a few blogs of these images and now there all gone forever.

JohnnyB
post #17 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 06:20 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Glad it worked!

For future reference, I found it by going to Google and searching something like "download all my photos from photobucket". Any time you have a problem like this, it's sure someone else has too, and it's likely that they found a way out of it. The first couple of links were discussions from 2014, which I figured probably weren't relevant, but then there was the link to the Chrome add-on.
The Following User Says Thank You to amckenzie4 For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (11-24-2017)
post #18 of 22 Old 11-24-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

OK I'm completely out of Photobucket
The Google app went pretty well after I got the hang of it. I don't know how many images I lost for sure, but it was well over a hundred. Oh Well live and learn!

JohnnyB
post #19 of 22 Old 11-27-2017, 12:00 AM

View ~slivers's Photo Album My Photos
I've had seven years worth of work washed down the tubes because of PB's 3rd party hosting policy so I really hope it's the death of them, what I really don't understand though is why so many people keep blaming Photobucket for "Losing" their photo's, that doesn't even make sense.
post #20 of 22 Old 11-27-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I can't remember how long I've been using PB, but it's been at least 10 years. I have to say that i never lost any photos on Photobucket unless I deleted it myself. I always wondered when it was going to end. The thing that disturbed me was the outrages fee they wanted.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode