Wood-Art for the wall! Work-in-progress: have a look! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 30 Old 09-20-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

View bulletshell13's Photo Album My Photos
Wood-Art for the wall! Work-in-progress: have a look!

Hi everyone, here is my first wood-working project, I am hoping to learn some basics with this one, before this "thing" I have only just made panels to paint on or stretched canvas frames. This one is gonna be fun to see get finished up.

The picture attached is from today after I got done cutting all the wood to float over the panel... I started a thread in joinery ( http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f5/qu...please-107585/ ) about how I should connect all the pieces together and also maybe some ideas for floating them all above the panel, each at a different height (but all will stay pretty close to the panel).

Anyway, any advice or input is appreciated and I hope to have this one pretty much finished by the end of the week :D

Thanks for reading!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-20-2015, 02:51 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
I remember your thread about the jointery---looking promising--keep us posted--
post #3 of 30 Old 09-20-2015, 03:16 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Very creative "wood-art" design! Consider staining or painting a few of the angles in accent colors to give a shadow effect. Hope to soon see the finished project. Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 09-20-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the interest guys! @woodchux - yes I will definitely be staining the floating pieces in accented shades - maybe 2 of them with a coat of white/black between the stains as well. Not sure yet. I also plan to install warm dimmable LEDs under the 1st and 3rd levels of the 4 total :D

Hopefully soon I complete it!
The Following User Says Thank You to bulletshell13 For This Useful Post:
woodchux (09-21-2015)
post #5 of 30 Old 09-24-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Little update! I have about 40% of the joining work done as of just now. I ended up going with the double dowel with the round stock (I think it is 3 or 4mm thick) + glue + 2 staples on the hidden side solution. I just really like the way these joints feel in my hand - compared to the just glue and stapled test joints these feel like they could take maybe a little accident during assembly or something without failing... so I opted for the slightly more tedious solution (but really it doesnt take so long to drill for the dowels, plus they hold the joint together really well for the glue to set.

Anyway, here is a picture! Tomorrow I will do a little bit more and will definitely have 2 of the 4 floating levels fully completed by the end of Friday - 2 from the 4 will be ready for staining :D

Also today a large order of various LED goodies came in the mail today... I plan to end up going with this part of the plan :D 2 of the 4 floating levels will be LED backlit with warm-white (dimmable). Looking forward to getting this project complete!
Attached Images

Last edited by bulletshell13; 09-24-2015 at 04:02 PM.
mikeswoods (09-25-2015)
post #6 of 30 Old 09-25-2015, 07:54 AM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
The wood is thicker than I thought----your dowel work should keep them together--

Keep us posted as you move along.
post #7 of 30 Old 09-25-2015, 08:40 AM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
HIndsite 20/20...........I think if they were mitered with splines it would look awesome. I don't think he said he had a table saw or router
post #8 of 30 Old 09-25-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys! Yes, the dowels I think are worth it, maybe not totally necessary but during assembly and all that jazz these joints could take a little mistake/drop/etc without totally failing IMO.

I think the idea for a spline joint is also quite good, though I would imagine it is a little bit more tedious than my dowel solution - I have a small hand held non plunging router (so no table) and without a table and all that I think it could be a headache doing splines, right?

Although you are right, a spline joint can be a nice design feature too :D might keep that in mind for the next project!

Now I am thinking, wouldn't a table router setup be nice :P
post #9 of 30 Old 09-25-2015, 10:24 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Keep moving (thinking & gluing) in a positive direction, and again thanks for sharing. Be safe.
post #10 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

hey guys! well I didnt get the progress I wanted in on this thing last week (my parents visited me so I was with them a ton) anyway, I just glued up and pressed my last joint! I got a picture of the 3 completed levels sitting on a panel I have sitting around - then the other picture of the last joint setting :D so tonight I do some stain tests and figure out what color(s) I want to go with :D I also got a bunch of LED goodies in the mail so I will get to that stage soon! I hope in a week or so it is all finished!
Attached Images

post #11 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 03:17 PM

View smithbrother's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a troubled heart beat, but cool

Dale in Indy
post #12 of 30 Old 10-10-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

^ thanks!

So I decided to go with this arrangement to be done - just gotta trim the L/R edges on a few of the pieces then stain them and mount the LEDs (under the 2 middle levels) and then tediously mount them all to the panel.
Attached Images

mikeswoods (10-10-2015)
post #13 of 30 Old 10-11-2015, 11:28 AM

View smithbrother's Photo Album My Photos
Call it ' EKG ABOUND '

Dale in Indy
post #14 of 30 Old 10-16-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

hey guys - I did a mock up of the pieces today, I think they look pretty good - the picture quality isn't so good and the lighting is also kinda bad but yeah these basically show how it will end up :D
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bulletshell13 For This Useful Post:
Bob in St. Louis (10-28-2015), Mort (10-17-2015), NickDIY (10-16-2015), rayking49 (10-20-2015)
post #15 of 30 Old 10-28-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

hey guys, here is a little update :)

the piece is nearing completion, I have the LED wired up and ready, just have to finish getting the other 2 top pieces connected to the panel I am just gonna leave the lighting as it is and not add anymore (to save me the headache and it already looks lit up enough imo).

Final update to come in the next days

Here is a photo of it mocked up in the dark but lit!
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bulletshell13 For This Useful Post:
Bob in St. Louis (10-28-2015), Cricket (12-08-2015)
post #16 of 30 Old 10-28-2015, 12:08 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
I think it looks great as is.
post #17 of 30 Old 10-28-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

^ Thanks, I am happy with it as well - nothing will change really! I just have to finish everything up, the edge pieces I have "wrapping around" the panel to connect the edges of the floating angled pieces need to be completed on the top 2 pieces and then just mounted - almost there! Finally I think I am gonna use a film to diffuse the LEDs or more likely just few narrowly cut pieces of thin plywood mounted just in front of them so you do not see the obvious LED reflections on the panel from viewing angles that are not more or less perfectly frontal.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
That is a very cool approach. Thats artwork I'd love on my wall. Beats the heck out of most of the stuff my wife likes :)

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
post #19 of 30 Old 10-28-2015, 08:23 PM

View Travico's Photo Album My Photos
Very Interesting Project!!!!!!!!!!!
post #20 of 30 Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys! It was a little Halloween miracle today, after a frustrating 6-7 hour session on this piece I finally completed it, I will do a few little touch-ups with the finish in some areas and get the 2nd piece of the french-cleat mounting system attached to my wall after I get the proper screws. Today the challenge was getting the thin cut ply wood mounted behind the LEDs to prevent the obvious LED reflections, but I did a good job with that and you cannot see the individual leds reflecting from any angle!! So I am pretty happy with how it turned out, I was able to learn a lot with this one and look forward to starting something new!

I will probably post a picture of it properly hanging on a wall on Monday, but yeah it is finished as of now :D

Oh and here is a little video - I had the slow fade program on with the leds, normally I just have it at static 50% dimmed (pardon the strange music in the background, I forgot to turn it off lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDMaNVM1htQ
Attached Images

Last edited by bulletshell13; 10-31-2015 at 06:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bulletshell13 For This Useful Post:
Cricket (12-08-2015), Mort (11-01-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode