Wine Rack - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

View tphillips3254's Photo Album My Photos
Wine Rack

The wine rack is done!!! Pictures are below.
The instructions were vague, and I had to improvise from time to time. For instance, it didnít specify how many screws I would need for each rack and joint so I went with two per. Making sure the racks were parallel with the others and level proved a challenge. I learned quickly that one can never have enough clamps on hand. And, then there was a design modification part way through the project. The instructions called for an inverted wine glass holder at the top. My spouse wanted another rack as opposed to a glass holder. This was a challenge since I had used my last rack jig instead of holding on to it. I had to go back to the drawing board to build another rack.

The first challenge was building the jig with four 3 ľ inch holes. I started off with a circle jig and learned that it would be very difficult with what I had on hand to do a 3 ľ hole. So, I decided to go with a jig that I could run my router around inside of for a 3 ľ inch hole. I finally found the right diameter and made a 3 ľ hole. I then obtained a flush trim router bit from Home Depot. This one had the bearing to the bottom, and I learned quickly how to use this bit. In no time I had my board jig with the four 3 ľ holes. From that I made the others. Next I visited the table saw and cut the boards in half. Then I cut the other boards to size on the table saw and miter saw.

Next I took everything outside and put on the polyurethane sealant. Part way into it I learned that this was a top coat sealant. Instead of starting from scratch again, I continued with putting two coats of this top sealant on. I bought some very fine sand paper and smoothed the first coat out before the applying the second coat. The end result was very good.

Next came putting everything together. I put the side braces into first as I thought that would be easier. Then I started installing the four racks layers. I drilled holes slightly smaller than the screws and then put in the screws. Thanks to carefully measuring everything, the screws went through the 2x2s into 1x racks without a problem. In my worst nightmares I pictured the screws coming out the sides of the rack. That never happened. I installed the top before I installed the unplanned top rack. Looking back, I should have waited on the top until I had the fifth rack in place.

Once on the floor, I found the rack was not level. That was in part due to me Iím sure and in part to the basement floor. I bought leveling glides and installed them. Now it sits level and is waiting for its first bottle of wine.

Overall, I learned a lot. I love my new Craftsman router, and the flush trim router bit is the routerís catís meow. I also dug out an old cordless drill to hold the drill bit while I used my other cordless with the Phillips bit. That saved time switching out between drill bit and screw bit.

Next project, hon.

PS: I'll post pictures once I figure this out. I keep getting either a "security token missing" or "upload failed."

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 04:14 PM
I fail in order to learn

View purplenurple's Photo Album My Photos
I got the same problem in phone and comp. So I brought up pics on comp and snapped a photo with phone
post #3 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok. I just posted the pictures in my profile photos. The melamine cutout is how I made the 3 1/2 inch hole. I learned that an 8 1/2 inch hole was needed to push my router base around to create the smaller hole. You can see the wine rack with the four racks and then the final product with the five racks.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 07:05 PM
I fail in order to learn

View purplenurple's Photo Album My Photos
Looks good
The Following User Says Thank You to purplenurple For This Useful Post:
petef (03-23-2014)
post #5 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 PM

View bschiltz's Photo Album My Photos

post #6 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 PM

View bschiltz's Photo Album My Photos
Nice, looks good!
post #7 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 PM

View 4SPEED's Photo Album My Photos
Looks good. Id use a strip od black felt to rest the bottle on. Just a thought.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Wine rack came out great. I like the look. It looks very similar to one I made to go on top of the refrigerator. There was no cabinet there when we bought this house. But, needless to say a new kitchen was on my bucket list, and a cabinet wound up there.
Name:  wine.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  57.3 KB

post #9 of 10 Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice!

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #10 of 10 Old 03-26-2014, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Cabinetman, your wine rack looks great. I may have to build one later for my refrigerator. Of course, I have to fill this one up first! Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
The Following User Says Thank You to tphillips3254 For This Useful Post:
cabinetman (03-26-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode