I got a couple of wine barrels from a local winery awhile back. was looking into building stuff to sell made out of the barrels and staves... Well, I havent had time,( actually fallen out of wood working and back to waving a stick at fish. ) Before i got back to fishing I had taken one of the barrels apart and started to experament with the pieces
I had told one of my old motorcycle buddys turned wine snob, that I was looking to build something with the barrels, he piped in with wanting a wine rack. ( he's going to kill for the wine snob crack..lol)
So I looked at the wall he wanted to put one up and I came back with an Idea.
It took a few months from the Idea I held up on his wall to actually installing it. I was dreding drilling the holes, not really knowing if I could get the angle right. And figuring out how to mount it to the wall.
I ended up figuring out how to mount it first. You can see the top and bottom "hoops" where I extended and bent over some ears and drilled holes for mounting screws.
After that i mounted it to an old folding table where I taped the angle of the holes I thought would work. Had to put enough in to hold enough wine bottles, plus miss all the "hoops". I drilled a hunk of oak to make a guide and screwed it to the table where the holes were going and drilled. ( should have took a pic of the poor table, blue tape and sharpie marks all over it)
Some how the angle and layout worked
I put a couple of bottles and started to keck the angle.... Well.. I thought it would work. But, because the the curve of the stave the lower holes are out of wack..
The angle is perfect otherwise.
It took a few days to figure out how I was going to make it work.
I first thought to use rubber sleave, some O'rings, masking tape. to make the bottles snug up in the hole and keep the angle... none of that worked..
then the thought of sliding a tube in and having it extend into the rack to keep the bottle even...
Couldnt find a tube that would fit the hole properly... So then I figure out that all it needs to do is hold the neck down to keep the proper angle.. I had just replaced a few Commercial door kick plates that are brass. that would look great !... wrong. Was misserable to cut it and form the brass into a sleve... scratch that.
Then I come out with a piece of 1" EMT...
Bandsaw'd the pipe down the lengh.
Ground and shaped , Drilled and counter sunk, filed and polished, hammered and reshaped.
I had one other issue to resolve before screwing them into the top of the holes...
Needed to cut the ears off to have them be flush to the outside. Was an easy process, I used some tin snips.
I'm sorry I'm missing some set-up better pictures that would show all the details of the build... but I'm sure you guys can figure out what I did.
Here's the finished product.