Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Walnut and Ambrosia Maple Mantels
I made two new mantels for a remodeling project in my own house. I have a see through fireplace that I am going to cover in a split face travertine limestone. So I made the mantels from some rough sawn stock I already had. The corbels were made from glue-ups and threaded inserts were installed in the top of each one to allow for thru-bolting through the bottom of each mantel. I also wanted an outlet in each one so I made a template for my router after finding some cover plates that were flat on top. That turned out well. I cut some white oak up for french cleats to mount them. And also I had to plane the ends on the inside edges where it sits against the wall, as the walls aren't perfectly straight, corners stick out just a bit more than the centers. Finish was semi gloss lacquer. Most of the wood was from local trees, with the exception of some of the walnut being from Peru.