Woodworking Talk banner

Twin Pedestal Desk

4K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  landman 
#1 ·
I have a granddaughter in grade 10. In a couple of years she'll be leaving for post secondary studies. She will need a desk, so here goes. The plan calls for cherry. I have very little cherry but enough elm. So it will be cherry panels with elm frames. The plans call for poplar for the webframes. I have none but enough maple so I am using that.Working my way down the cutting list.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A desk like that is beautiful and I am sure would be greatly appreciated at the right time. But is now the right time? I assume that she will be going away from home for school. Does she want to be moving a desk like that? Might be best to wait until her first job for that one.

In the meantime you could build something more utilitarian and easier to move.

George

#10 ·
We have done that (measuring) for her bedroom at home. It will get reduced from 60x30 to 60 x24. As far as dorm rooms go, yes they are small . However, she has two older siblings in a city with two colleges and one University who have each offered her a bedroom free of charge if she wants to go stay there. I had built her aunt a chest because her dorm room had about a 14" closet and a night table but no dresser.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Absolutely. Her sister got a trundle bed because she wanted to have sleepovers. Her cousin got a desk because he already had a nice bedroom suite from his other grandparents and his sister had a desk. The cousin's sister , as I said, also had a desk and a bedroom suite so she asked me for a chest like her mother had. With this one, it was a tossup between a bed and a desk but the desk won because of her looking forward to putting all her stuff in it and working at it. I attach photos of the pieces mentioned above

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Next comes the valuable stuff, and no it isn't the cherry plywood. It is wood that is nearly 200 years old which comes from my grandfather's homestead (her great-great-grandfather). I had salvaged some pieces and I use it for historical family content. The false drawer fronts will be made of it.

Attachments

#29 ·
The drawers have been fitted as well as I could given unsquare openings. Added filler to some joints and the nail holes. Started the sanding down process. Made a board showing a few samples of stains to run by my granddaughter. then it is finishing time.

Attachments

#30 ·
The verdict was, oil only like her cousin's desk. So it is. Some will cringe at the motley appearance of all the grains but several who have seen it like it. So does my granddaughter, which is what matters. So here's one coat on one end. this site doesn't like vertical photos.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.