A friend of mine saw these tables at his buddies place and asked if I could make him a set.
I first milled some cherry, glued it and then cut the 60 degree triangles.
Next I cut some walnut for the borders and attached it to the triangles. I used biscuits just to help reinforce the long grain to end grain feature. Clamping had to be done by wedges...clamps don't hold 60 degree corners very well.
Next it was time to turn the legs. I made a simple template that had cut-outs for the tenon, top, middle and bottom diameters as well as a notch to indicate the middle point. Just parted down to the diameters and blended from point to point for a nice even taper.
Next was cutting the final shape of the tops. I cut a template in 1/4" MDF. I was going to use a flush cut router bit but ended up getting some tear out. So I cut them at the bandsaw and finished them at the oscillating belt sander.
Next I layed out the legs, drilled the mortise and dry fit everything.
Clamped them up.
Sanded to 220, applied 2 coats of blonde shellac, sanded with 320, sprayed with 5 coats of semi gloss lacquer, wet sanded to 1200 grit with paraffin oil lube and finished with a nice buffing of Renaissance wax.
Thanks for looking and enjoy.