• 4 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By _Ogre
  • 1 Post By new2woodwrk
  • 2 Post By gj13us
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 19 Old 09-16-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

View This Life Outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
Small Cabin made from Free Pallet Wood

- See the whole project here. Photo attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-09-15_08-54-46_425.jpg (614.8 KB, 59 views)

Rich

This Life Outdoors Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thislifeoutdoorsadk
This Life Outdoors Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClg...MHaJESHXsXAhEw
This Life Outdoors Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/this_life_outdoors/
This Life Outdoors Twitter: https://twitter.com/Outdoorsthis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-16-2019, 05:13 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Pallet wood can be toxic. Even if you use "clean" wood, others may not realize the difference. There is no such thing as "clean pallet wood". Pallet wood = toxic wood. It is a bad idea to encourage others to build projects from pallet wood, free or otherwise. I would not want to stay in your pallet wood cabin.

Would you encourage people to burn "free" railroad ties in their fireplaces or barbecues? You know, the ones soaked in creosote? I know people who did that. After all, it was free wood. :-o

-> We should NEVER introduce or encourage the idea that pallet wood can be safe, because few people have the resources to determine the safety of their pallet wood for themselves. If the wood is clean, then call it something else.

See my post in your introductory thread:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f3/h...9/#post2070861
post #3 of 19 Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 AM

View AmishElectricCo's Photo Album My Photos
I'll toss some gasoline onto the fire:

As someone who does marketing for a living, these YouTubers read a book and are told that one of the best ways to promote their channel is to post on forums. To be a resource and participating member of a like-minded community - this will help drive traffic to their channel (or website). The problem is, most of them just spam the forums with their latest video or for sale item and are never really contributing to anything except their own self-interest.

https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/96569?hl=en

This forum needs to rob these people of the "Google juice" they seek. There is a plugin for the forum software that strips all outgoing links they are using to build backlinks and so-called internet credibility. I would implore the admins to add the nofollow plugin.

⚡ Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-17-2019, 04:56 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I have to agree. Some people are fame hungry. Had the same experience on other forums.
Used to be plagued by spam companies who promise advertisers they will promote their products and then spam forums. One concerned a bicycle firm who paid good money for this "service". When we told them what was happening, they were most apologetic and stopped using the spam company.
johnep
Tool Agnostic and red68mgb like this.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-17-2019, 07:18 AM

View red68mgb's Photo Album My Photos
I also agree.

There is quite a bit of useful information available on youtube. I saved a ton by doing a youtube repair on our Samsung french door refrigerator and various repairs on my 13 year old Toyota.

But some of the videos I watch seem more like late night infomercials.

(also in upstate NY - near Cooperstown)
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Jim

"I've learned the hard way that I can't afford to buy cheap tools"
post #6 of 19 Old 09-17-2019, 08:07 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
My wife wanted to do some pallet wood projects. After a post by a retired truck driver who said he saw all kinds of things spilled on pallets, I crossed pallet wood off the list. There is a pallet refurbishing place near me. I can't understand why someone would burn scrap wood in a stove or fireplace.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-17-2019, 01:04 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Basically:

Pallets that have hazardous materials spilled on them are dangerous.

Clean pallets sourced from where you know the history are just wood.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #8 of 19 Old 09-17-2019, 05:45 PM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Don't want to get on anyone's bad side, but I don't mind the original post. For whatever reason you come here, welcome.

I like the cabin as well. Have done a few pallet wood projects. I have a very safe supply which is a facility with the most dangerous material they receive on the pallets that could spill is salt water. As an environmental scientist, I am concerned about what we come into contact with on a daily basis, but I don't side with many that have what appears to be an irrational fear of pallets. Willing to change my mind, but a few simple rules should keep you safe. Only use pallets stamped HT (heat treated), never use pallets from sources that are likely to transport hazardous materials, and never use pallets that show any signs of spillage such as wet stains, smears, or powder residues.

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #9 of 19 Old 09-18-2019, 10:58 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTC View Post
Don't want to get on anyone's bad side, but I don't mind the original post. For whatever reason you come here, welcome.

I like the cabin as well. Have done a few pallet wood projects. I have a very safe supply which is a facility with the most dangerous material they receive on the pallets that could spill is salt water. As an environmental scientist, I am concerned about what we come into contact with on a daily basis, but I don't side with many that have what appears to be an irrational fear of pallets. Willing to change my mind, but a few simple rules should keep you safe. Only use pallets stamped HT (heat treated), never use pallets from sources that are likely to transport hazardous materials, and never use pallets that show any signs of spillage such as wet stains, smears, or powder residues.
Sorry, but an environmental scientist should know about the effects of trace quantities of dangerous chemicals in the environment. I do not claim to be an environmental scientist, but I do know that many chemicals can be present in harmful levels that cannot be detected by the "signs of spillage". Furthermore, few people can know the history of the pallets they encounter, including whether or not they were ever used to transport hazardous materials.

Because pallet wood can be toxic in ways that cannot be detected, we should not be using anything labeled as pallet wood for human contact and use. Not everyone is as smart as you to know which woods are safe and which are not. Encouraging people to make projects from pallet wood is irresponsible, plain and simple. It is not a matter of irrational fear of pallets; I handle them frequently without concern. I don't build projects from them, and I would not bring them into my living environment. That's common sense. If nothing else, it sets a very bad example for others.

Pallet wood = toxic wood. It should always be treated that way. If you are sure it is safe wood, don't call it "pallet wood", because others do not have the tools to differentiate between safe and unsafe wood.

Expecting people to know and follow safe practices as the sole protection against toxic exposure to bad pallet wood is not an appropriate measure. Such methods are not working in computer security, for example. It did not work when people made bread from pink toxic seeds intended for planting, either. I could cite many other examples, but you get the point, I hope.

Ignorant people will re-use pallet wood in inappropriate ways and be irreparably harmed by it. It is almost inevitable. Let me be blunt. People will die because of irresponsible encouragement to reuse pallet wood. Their deaths will be on your hands. You will never know who died as a result of your encouragement, because their deaths will occur decades from now. Many people with toxic pallet wood will die of other causes. The few exceptions will never know that the toxic pallet wood they bought or used, discarded and forgotten decades earlier, was the root cause of their death many years later. The statistical uptick that represents those who died as a result will never be attributed to your encouragement to use toxic pallet wood. It isn't murder, but a lawyer might say something like, "callous disregard for human life."

Actively encouraging people to use pallet wood is irresponsible, and should stop immediately. Can I make it more plain than that?
Tony B and AmishElectricCo like this.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-18-2019, 12:36 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I well remember the seed dressing incident. People had eaten their home saved seed corn and were supplied with commercial seed corn to help them.
Some decided to eat this and suffered.
johnep
post #11 of 19 Old 09-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Sorry, but an environmental scientist should know about the effects of trace quantities of dangerous chemicals in the environment. I do not claim to be an environmental scientist, but I do know that many chemicals can be present in harmful levels that cannot be detected by the "signs of spillage". Furthermore, few people can know the history of the pallets they encounter, including whether or not they were ever used to transport hazardous materials.

Because pallet wood can be toxic in ways that cannot be detected, we should not be using anything labeled as pallet wood for human contact and use. Not everyone is as smart as you to know which woods are safe and which are not. Encouraging people to make projects from pallet wood is irresponsible, plain and simple. It is not a matter of irrational fear of pallets; I handle them frequently without concern. I don't build projects from them, and I would not bring them into my living environment. That's common sense. If nothing else, it sets a very bad example for others.

Pallet wood = toxic wood. It should always be treated that way. If you are sure it is safe wood, don't call it "pallet wood", because others do not have the tools to differentiate between safe and unsafe wood.

Expecting people to know and follow safe practices as the sole protection against toxic exposure to bad pallet wood is not an appropriate measure. Such methods are not working in computer security, for example. It did not work when people made bread from pink toxic seeds intended for planting, either. I could cite many other examples, but you get the point, I hope.

Ignorant people will re-use pallet wood in inappropriate ways and be irreparably harmed by it. It is almost inevitable. Let me be blunt. People will die because of irresponsible encouragement to reuse pallet wood. Their deaths will be on your hands. You will never know who died as a result of your encouragement, because their deaths will occur decades from now. Many people with toxic pallet wood will die of other causes. The few exceptions will never know that the toxic pallet wood they bought or used, discarded and forgotten decades earlier, was the root cause of their death many years later. The statistical uptick that represents those who died as a result will never be attributed to your encouragement to use toxic pallet wood. It isn't murder, but a lawyer might say something like, "callous disregard for human life."

Actively encouraging people to use pallet wood is irresponsible, and should stop immediately. Can I make it more plain than that?
I appreciate your heart for people and care to watch out for their safety. Not being sarcastic. That's a good trait to have, and I commend it. Because the warnings were coming from a good heart, I hoped to give my views on the issue without ruffling feathers.

How dangerous are the tools in our shops, yet we encourage people to get and use them properly knowing some won't. Are we responsible for the limbs or lives lost? Should we not recommend them? How many have these tools and don't have dust collection or don't wear a dust mask of some sorts? What about pressure treated lumber?

It's important not to assume the extremes will happen, but weigh the likelihood of them happening. Do you know how many people get sick and/or die from contaminated food they buy in the grocery store every year? Should we stop buying food in a grocery store because that bag of lettuce could kill you?

There is a healthy level of concern to be had about pallets, but going to the extent you have appears irrational to me. Do you know how strict laws are concerning the storage and transport of hazardous materials? The likelihood that a heat treated pallet will have a serious hazardous material spilled on it and then not be disposed of properly is extremely low. Think of the lawsuits!

Think about it. Using only heat treated pallets (HT) removes the risk most are concerned about. Not using pallets from a source known to use hazardous materials reduces another risk people are concerned about. And not using pallets that have signs of something being spilled on them removes even more risk from the equation. Also think about the legal and civil penalties a company may incur if a highly dangerous hazardous material was to spill on a pallet and then cause someone harm that used that pallet. What do you think the likelihood is of a heat treated pallet sourced from an apparently safe source with no signs of having anything spilled on it being contaminated with a dangerous amount of hazardous material? I still wouldn't use it to make cutting boards or smoke my brisket, but I'd make a table that is going to be sealed with some type of finish.

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #12 of 19 Old 09-18-2019, 12:48 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know about anyone else but this thread is getting to full to keep up with just a shovel.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #13 of 19 Old 09-18-2019, 01:13 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
frankc got my first like ever, on any forum
This Life Outdoors likes this.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-19-2019, 07:30 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
As an avid user of Pallet wood for many projects - thanks for sharing this - love the cabin
post #15 of 19 Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. : )
post #16 of 19 Old 09-20-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Rich

This Life Outdoors Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thislifeoutdoorsadk
This Life Outdoors Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClg...MHaJESHXsXAhEw
This Life Outdoors Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/this_life_outdoors/
This Life Outdoors Twitter: https://twitter.com/Outdoorsthis
post #17 of 19 Old 09-20-2019, 01:59 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishElectricCo View Post
I'll toss some gasoline onto the fire:

As someone who does marketing for a living, these YouTubers read a book and are told that one of the best ways to promote their channel is to post on forums. To be a resource and participating member of a like-minded community - this will help drive traffic to their channel (or website). The problem is, most of them just spam the forums with their latest video or for sale item and are never really contributing to anything except their own self-interest.

When I first read this, I thought, 'O.k. but how else can they drive traffic to their sites?'
But on the other hand, lots of people manage it without spamming forums.

My daughter had a 'sport' Instagram page when she was in high school and it grew to over 5,000 followers simply from her offering good creative content. She never made any money from it because her fanbase was too small for advertisers to work with. However, she was inspired to try to make the leap into marketing/pr/digital media as a career and is now a senior in college. We'll see whether or not it pays off . . . literally. Hey--while we're on the topic, check out her site at www... The most fun part of her page was that a number of her friends and teammates were subscribers without knowing it was hers because she kept her identity a secret until after she graduated.

[she handed the Insta page to her younger sister who had no interest in maintaining it and . . . . .pfffft.]
post #18 of 19 Old 09-20-2019, 02:02 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Pallet wood can be toxic. Even if you use "clean" wood, others may not realize the difference.

How does pallet wood stack up against recycled barn wood? There seems to be a big interest in antique lumber from barns, etc. and wouldn't there be a similar risk? I ask as someone who would not use pallet wood for anything other than making pallets.
Tony B and This Life Outdoors like this.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-20-2019, 11:33 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I often thought of that too. Lets see...........exposure to manure, methane gas, urine, insecticides, pesticides, probably a dead cow or 2 at one time or another. Anyone care to add to my list?

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode