• 1 Post By shoot summ
  • 1 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 1 Post By ChiknNutz
  • 1 Post By djg

post #1 of 5 Old 02-18-2020, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Slab Table

Not finished yet, but thought I would chronicle my latest project, and things I have learned along the way.

Found a guy on FB Marketplace selling live edged slabs. One of the pics really spoke to me, a "cookie" from a Red Elm tree, over 100 years old, size is about 3'x4'. Talked to the seller, has a neat operation, he mainly uses city trees that are being taken out for a reason. The guy is about 120 miles north west of me in an area of OK that is mainly farming, cattle, wind farms, and oil fields. He kiln dries the pieces, de-bugs them, and then surfaces them on his CNC router.

You can see that his router has some tear out on the strokes, takes a bit to sand those out.

An add on project to this is something my Daughter has been doing. She started "printing" tree sections, it is really cool, she wants to print this piece as well from the back. Turns out I decided to buy her one too, so she could print it, and make a table as well. Here is one of her prints.

This is her slab:

Getting her one allowed me to stabilize mine with some strips in the back, it was a little flimsy with the cracks in it, and moving it around the shop I didn't want it to completely separate.

I laid some poplar strips into the back which sufficiently stabilized the piece, then I decided to add some bowtie keys to the front. I started down the path of routing the keys with a jig. Bought the Rockler jigs, set them up for a test, and didn't like the proportion of the keys, nor the rounded corners. So I decided to do it the old fashioned way. I drew out my bowtie, made a template, and cut them out of Walnut.

After watching a lot of videos I determined that I needed a marking knife to mark the cut for the bowties, Amazon had one here the next day and I started marking. The knife is a bit of a PITA as it wants to follow grain, so I switched to a wide chisel while I had the bowties hot glued to the slab. Once I had them marked I used a forstner bit and randomly drilled holes to remove material before routing, then routed the pockets leaving about 1/8" to remove with the chisel. I found after the first one that I would sneak that down to 1/16" or so as it take a long time to remove the material.

There is a lot of finesse in cutting the pockets, and I quickly realized how dull my chisels were. Slapped a 600 grit belt on the 6x48 sander and they now cut like butter. I also realized it is easy to go just a little too far on the cut leaving a gap, so I took an old, poor quality import chisel and flattened the end to tamp walnut dust in the gap with some glue.

This is where it sits right now, 3 down, one pocket really close.

I have watched dozens of epoxy pour videos at this point, I have the epoxy, and picked a mahogany powder for coloring. In addition I am trying to work out a finish combination that doesn't darken the slab too much and wash out the beauty of the growth rings. In this pic I have Watco natural with spar var over in the center(too dark), and water based poly with spar var over it(to the right lighter), and some epoxy below that(too dark). A lot of the slab folks are enamored with Rubio Monocoat, I'll have some today to test.

John Smith_inFL likes this.

Last edited by shoot summ; 02-18-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-18-2020, 01:39 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if it is my laptop or not . . .
but none of your photos appear.
check the size - the pixels should be about 800dpi.

shoot summ likes this.

I am a painter: that's what I do, I like to paint things.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-18-2020, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
I don't know if it is my laptop or not . . .
but none of your photos appear.
check the size - the pixels should be about 800dpi.

Thanks for the heads up, went back to imgur..

Last edited by shoot summ; 02-18-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-18-2020, 01:59 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
Pix look good now
shoot summ likes this.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table | Grizzly G1023RL

Last edited by ChiknNutz; 02-18-2020 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Links working now
post #5 of 5 Old 02-19-2020, 07:39 AM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
I like Red Elm lumber, even end grain is nice. I hope you can reinforce that piece enough. I have't had any luck drying cookies of any species. Keep us updated on the build.
shoot summ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode