Simple bar stool - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-28-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

View dreamiurg's Photo Album My Photos
Simple bar stool

I recently discovered this forum and decided that I might as well brag a little bit about projects I've completed recently. Your feedback and critique are very welcome, as I am only starting the woodworking journey.

Couple of months back I've bought miter saw and was looking for a starter project to practice the basic woodworking skills. After searching the internetz for a while, I stumbled upon this simple plan and decided to give it a try. Since I wanted to keep the original wood texture exposed rather than paint it all over I decided to opt in for mahogany top and filled my bill of materials with help of local hardware store.

Cut mahogany board in pieces, glued them together and sanded the top. I didn't have router at that time so I just lightly sanded the edges. Here's unfinished stool top.

And here's after applying single coat of Minwax Ash stain.

I particularly like the wood texture.

Almost done. Still have to saw off pegs that cover pocket holes and stain legs with Minwax Willow.

And a final image with the backdrop.

Overall I found this to be a simple project to learn few techniques and get ready for something bigger.
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamiurg For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (01-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-28-2015, 07:06 PM

View Travico's Photo Album My Photos
Nice Project. Now you just need a few more for a set.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-28-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

View dreamiurg's Photo Album My Photos
My wife is biased towards metal chairs so I started considering welding equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Good looking build with a classic design. Consider keeping that stool for your shop area as one of your first projects. As for welding - that IMO is another different "ballgame"! Thanks for sharing, and be safe.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2016, 05:07 PM

View mlsthmpsn's Photo Album My Photos
Great looking stool...may have to steal that design and make one for my shop. I've never built something for sitting on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamiurg View Post
My wife is biased towards metal chairs so I started considering welding equipment

Welding is definitely a whole other animal. Look for local school districts that offer adult welding classes at night. Our local high school has a college/industrial quality weld/fab shop....classes are 10 wks, once a week at night. If you take ours in subsequent offerings (like me and a few other guys), after the safety sign-off stuff on day 1, the teacher lets you have free reign of the shop on your own for projects

Great way to learn and get tons of practice...you'll need it. It's way harder than woodworking to be decent at!
The Following User Says Thank You to mlsthmpsn For This Useful Post:
dreamiurg (01-17-2016)

Tags
mahogany, stool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode