• 1 Post By AwlThumbs
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By Catpower
  • 2 Post By AwlThumbs

post #1 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Part of the problem

View AwlThumbs's Photo Album My Photos
Shoe Bench: Solid Oak

Several weeks ago, I decided to build a shoe bench to sit at the foot of our bed. I wanted something that would store a dozen or so shoes and that we could sit on while getting dressed and putting on socks and shoes. (Mainly I just wanted to get out in the garage and do something with wood. I was pretty sure my wife wouldn't veto this project).

I should have started taking photos earlier in the process, but I'll give you what I have....

Here, you can see the basic structure (albeit upside down in the photo). The bottom and middle shelves are four feet long and consist of two 1 x 8 boards glued up. The top is a 1 x 8 glued to a 1 x 12.

The legs are 1 x 4. I will be adding more 1 x 4 material to the bottom portion of them in order to make them more "square" and to add a little more bulk for strength.

Gluing trim on the front....

And then the sanding process begins.....

As you can see, I've now added more bulk to the legs, and the back has been glued into place.

It's now sanded and ready to be stained (and admired right-side-up)....

I originally had in mind a very dark stain. Dark (almost black) stains are popular with wooden furniture, nowadays. However, this wood has some gorgeous grain that I didn't want lost. So, I opted instead for MinWax "Sedona Red" stain.

Initially, I was putting the stain on too thick. It has been a while since I'd stained anything. But, as I got going, I realized a very thin coat of stain is all that is needed, and I finally got the job done.....

Tomorrow, I will start the process of applying lacquer. I'm expecting 3 to 4 coats.

Each "box" within the bench should hold two pairs of shoes, or one pair of work boots. Each "box" is just under 1 foot wide, approximately 7 1/2 inches high, and about 16 inches deep.
Catpower likes this.

I remember being able to get up without making sound effects. Good times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 11:16 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwlThumbs View Post
Several weeks ago, I decided to build a shoe bench to sit at the foot of our bed. I wanted something that would store a dozen or so shoes and that we could sit on while getting dressed and putting on socks and shoes. (Mainly I just wanted to get out in the garage and do something with wood. I was pretty sure my wife wouldn't veto this project).

I should have started taking photos earlier in the process, but I'll give you what I have....

Here, you can see the basic structure (albeit upside down in the photo). The bottom and middle shelves are four feet long and consist of two 1 x 8 boards glued up. The top is a 1 x 8 glued to a 1 x 12.

The legs are 1 x 4. I will be adding more 1 x 4 material to the bottom portion of them in order to make them more "square" and to add a little more bulk for strength.

Gluing trim on the front....

And then the sanding process begins.....

As you can see, I've now added more bulk to the legs, and the back has been glued into place.

It's now sanded and ready to be stained (and admired right-side-up)....

I originally had in mind a very dark stain. Dark (almost black) stains are popular with wooden furniture, nowadays. However, this wood has some gorgeous grain that I didn't want lost. So, I opted instead for MinWax "Sedona Red" stain.

Initially, I was putting the stain on too thick. It has been a while since I'd stained anything. But, as I got going, I realized a very thin coat of stain is all that is needed, and I finally got the job done.....

Tomorrow, I will start the process of applying lacquer. I'm expecting 3 to 4 coats.

Each "box" within the bench should hold two pairs of shoes, or one pair of work boots. Each "box" is just under 1 foot wide, approximately 7 1/2 inches high, and about 16 inches deep.
I wonder if my 17EEE would fit in there LOL
AwlThumbs likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
I wonder if my 17EEE would fit in there LOL
It may stick out a little bit, but I'll bet they'd fit.

Now, if you were a size 23 (or whatever Shaq is), we might have to go a little larger.
Catpower likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 11:32 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice and useful project.
If I were to build a shoe rack for my wife, it would have to be BIG!
She is obviously a collector of shoes. She may have a problem, but I'll never mention it. I don't want her pointing out my tool collection!
sgibby88 likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 11:33 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwlThumbs View Post
It may stick out a little bit, but I'll bet they'd fit.

Now, if you were a size 23 (or whatever Shaq is), we might have to go a little larger.
You know what they say about men with big hands and big feet?

They wear big shoes and big gloves LOL
AwlThumbs likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-28-2017, 09:40 AM

View blackpearl's Photo Album My Photos
It looks real class!
post #7 of 11 Old 05-28-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the problem

Finally finished the bench completely last Thursday, but I hadn't had a chance to post the final photos. So, here we go.

I finished with 3 coats of lacquer and sanded between coats with 600 grit sandpaper.

sgibby88 and Catpower like this.

post #8 of 11 Old 05-28-2017, 07:46 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Looks very nice.
Was the back a solid wood glue up?
post #9 of 11 Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
Looks very nice.
Was the back a solid wood glue up?
Not exactly. I toyed around (in my head) with different ways to do the back. I ended up gluing the individual boards in place and to each other at the same time. So, one panel at a time. I glued panels from both ends until I had a gap in the middle. Then I measured and cut the final board just slightly oversized and sanded until it fit snugly in the remaining space.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-01-2017, 10:12 AM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
I hope you are lucky. That is a very wide panel to not have anyplace for expansion and contraction to take place. Wood moves with changes in moisture content. There is a "shrinkalator" calculator available on the woodweb site that will tell you what to expect for various species and moisture levels.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-04-2017, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
I hope you are lucky. That is a very wide panel to not have anyplace for expansion and contraction to take place. Wood moves with changes in moisture content. There is a "shrinkalator" calculator available on the woodweb site that will tell you what to expect for various species and moisture levels.

Actually, there are a couple of spots in the panel where the fit isn't very tight which should allow for some movement of the wood. That wasn't necessarily planned; it just turned out that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode