Second Carving Project - An Organic "Glulam" Bench build only from Framing Lumber - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigJim

post #1 of 7 Old 06-14-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

View TheCuttingBored's Photo Album My Photos
Second Carving Project - An Organic "Glulam" Bench build only from Framing Lumber

Was one of my all time favorite projects to tackle and I'm thrilled with my final results. Design methods were entirely my own, but the inspiration was pulled from ArborTech a few months back.

Hope you like!

Zach aka The Cutting Bored
thecuttingbored.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
It's interesting. Anything with pronounced wood grain is pretty to me.

I'm not keen on the actual design, as it looks terribly uncomfortable, hence useless, to my eyes.
A little too "art deco", too.

But I do appreciate the work you put into it.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-14-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

It will serve the purpose in my folks' mountain house of an entry way bench that you can quickly sit on to take shoes / snow boots on and off for - so its more cool form a basic function than something I'd put in my living room for guests to lay on - if that makes sense.

To your first point - I do love that pronounced gain in the seat. I have a small obsession with edge to end grain transitions - they're the coolest looking thing to me.

Cheers

thecuttingbored.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-15-2017, 01:14 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I like it, it is hefty and also it is hand made. I guess different folks like different things. I like the wood grain and the shape, pretty cool.
TheCuttingBored likes this.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-15-2017, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I like it, it is hefty and also it is hand made. I guess different folks like different things. I like the wood grain and the shape, pretty cool.
Thanks man! Appreciate the praise!

thecuttingbored.com
post #6 of 7 Old 06-15-2017, 02:34 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
It is kind of cool though not quite to the "super awesome" level.. lol
Shaping some of the pieces ahead of time with a bandsaw would save quite a bit of time and effort and I'm not sure if I did it I would use anything beyond pine just because hardwoods would likely be cost prohibitive unless you get your hands on a nice big log or logs milled flat for fewer glueups..
Maybe you should invest in a crane and perhaps a lightweight chainsaw and various bar and chain lengths..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 06-15-2017 at 02:37 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-15-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
It is kind of cool though not quite to the "super awesome" level.. lol
Shaping some of the pieces ahead of time with a bandsaw would save quite a bit of time and effort and I'm not sure if I did it I would use anything beyond pine just because hardwoods would likely be cost prohibitive unless you get your hands on a nice big log or logs milled flat for fewer glueups..
Maybe you should invest in a crane and perhaps a lightweight chainsaw and various bar and chain lengths..
Honestly, lot of really weird feedback dude...

First, it is Douglas Fir which is literally framing lumber cheap. Also, it is a glulam bench, which literally means lumber laminated together to form a stacked looking shape...

A chain saw would maybe help a little bit, but not much and you're missing the point of my vid. The point of the project is to showcase something to the community that is, although unique and rather weird looking and maybe even intimidating at first, actually attainable with a few basic woodworking tools. At the same time, the tools I use allow you to start with whatever shape you want and bring it down to whatever look suits your need.

No cranes or multi sized chain saws needed. Just a saw, planer, clamps, and one carving/ sanding tool. I also don't have a wood shop, so storage is very limited in terms of larger stationary things like a band saw, so I build with techniques that I can achieve with the time and space I have.

Feel free to send me your latest "Super Awesome" project...

thecuttingbored.com

Tags
build a bench, carved bench, diy bench, simple bench, woodcarving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode