A scroll saw and some scraps of wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 17Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 01-17-2020, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
A scroll saw and some scraps of wood

My unheated workshop is closed for the winter but Iím bored, so I thought Iíd share a build with you. It should only take a few days, mostly waiting for glue to dry. My scroll saw is in my basement workshop so Iíll only have to use my unheated workshop to plane the wood which should take just a few minutes.

First a back story. About ten years ago I bought a scroll saw off of craigslist. Looking for projects to make with my scroll saw I bought 4 or 5 scroll sawing books. This project is something I learned in one of the books which will be revealed at the end, since if I showed you now Iíd ruin the surprise.

This is something Iíve not seen on demonstrated on this forum so I figure you may not have seen it either. Itís pretty awesome.

Starts with a scroll saw and some scraps of wood, or a single piece so long as itís at least 7 x 7

I cut them down to about ten inches long and glued them together. The cherry and oak were a little thicker than the poplar and walnut so I put them on the outside. I will plane it down tomorrow and make nice smooth board.

Now we wait until tomorrow for the glue to dry.
difalkner and Tool Agnostic like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-17-2020, 12:53 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Looking forward to seeing the project as it unfolds, Terry!

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 27 Old 01-18-2020, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I was going to walk the four blocks to my workshop this morning so I could plane down the board, but I have to deal with this first.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 01-18-2020, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

So the sidewalks and driveway are shoveled, and the board planed down to 18 mm.

So the reason not many people have done things like this is because of the math involved to complete the next step.

Iím trying to explain what I want to do without actually coming out and telling you what Iím making, although some here may guess.

Iím marking parallel lines on my board 7.5 mm apart. I want to cut the board at an angle so that the inside edge of an outer piece sits precisely on the outside edge of the piece below once stacked on top. My board is 18 mm thick, so I need to calculate the angle needed to cut the board.

Ring width / board thickness = tangent of angle

Got that? 7.5mm/18mm = .416 tangent angle

Got that? Doesnít help me because I was bad at geometry in the 60ís and havenít gotten better since, so I looked at a chart where .416 tangent angle was calculated to be just under 23 degrees.

Thatís the angle Iíll set my scroll saw when I start cutting. More to come.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-19-2020, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

So the jigs up, canít go any further without showing you what Iím making. Paper pattern applied to chunk of wood. Pattern ends up being 7 inches round, the width of my board. Wide boards, bigger pattern.

With my scroll saw set to just under 23 degrees, I cut along the outside ring, separating the excess wood. I then used that excess wood to set the drill angle for the holes to allow the blade to penetrate through at the proper angle.

You want to use the smallest drill bit possible. I used a number 54 drill bit, which is the smallest a #5 blade fits through. If I were to use a thicker board, Iíd use a number 55 drill bit for a #7 blade.

Cut along the line. Took less than 30 minutes to cut all the rings out.

Tom-G likes this.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-19-2020, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

After you cut them you stack them

As you can see, you end up with a bowl. Still needs glueing and sanding which Ill show over next few days. Next step is to glue pieces together.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-19-2020, 12:41 PM

View kklowell's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to kklowell
That's pretty cool. I would never have thought you could make a bowl with a scroll saw.
I'm thinking my scroll saw would take longer than 30 minutes to cut that total distance.

So far, this is the extent of my scroll saw projects. I made it for my wife last year and it seemed to take forever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scroll.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	383743  

My wife says I never finish anyth

Ken
post #8 of 27 Old 01-19-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

More rings, more time scroll sawing, bigger bowls. Outer rings take longer than inner rings.

Got the rings glued up and in a press. You really need to make something like this. I made mine out of (6) six inch carriage bolts, nuts, washers, wing nuts and some scrap plywood. Bigger bowls mean bigger presses. Bigger presses arenít convenient on smaller bowls, too much threading. As you can see, I use spacer blocks on this one to speed things along on smaller bowls.

DO NOT GLUE ON THE BOTTOM yet. Not until the inside is sanded.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-19-2020, 02:03 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
The scroll saw is the most dangerous tool in our house by far. I bought a scroll saw for my spouse a few months ago and unleashed a monster.

The first thing it did was attack my stash (err ... our stash) of nice hardwoods and turn them into decorations, toys, and more. It also sunk its claws into my woodworking time. My projects get put on hold a lot, to help out with scroll saw projects. I go with her to the scroll saw club meetings, too.

Am I complaining? Not really. It is so nice to share the shop, to have her next to me, and to work with her. It warms my heart. :-)
MLP and AmishElectricCo like this.
post #10 of 27 Old 01-19-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
The scroll saw is the most dangerous tool in our house by far. I bought a scroll saw for my spouse a few months ago and unleashed a monster.

The first thing it did was attack my stash (err ... our stash) of nice hardwoods and turn them into decorations, toys, and more. It also sunk its claws into my woodworking time. My projects get put on hold a lot, to help out with scroll saw projects. I go with her to the scroll saw club meetings, too.

Am I complaining? Not really. It is so nice to share the shop, to have her next to me, and to work with her. It warms my heart. :-)
I would enjoy that too. My wife is extremely crafty, but hasn't any desire to try her hand on anything in my shop.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Ken
post #11 of 27 Old 01-19-2020, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Glued rings are out of the press. Initial sanding to inside was done with 60 grit using spindle sander and 2 inch spindle.

Pencil marks help me see where additional sanding needed, but I have to wait a bit so I change grits on the spindle.

Once I run through the grits Iíll glue the bottom on. Once the bottom is dry I can sand the outside of the bowl and put a finish on it.
post #12 of 27 Old 01-19-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

A scroll saw and some scraps of wood

Not only can you make round bowls of all sizes and patterns,

But you can make square and rectangle ones,

Scalloped ones

Just about any shape you can dream up like hearts and clover leaf

Tony B, Tom-G, Kerrys and 3 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Q For This Useful Post:
hawkeye10 (01-20-2020)
post #13 of 27 Old 01-19-2020, 11:11 PM

That's pretty cool. I'm going to have to look into doing that!
I now have two scroll saws... a coworker gave me an old Delta today.

Ken
post #14 of 27 Old 01-19-2020, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

If you are interested, or if you show your significant other and they are interested, buy this book. It will keep you busy for months.

I have nothing to do with this author or book other than I bought it and enjoyed it. Maybe you will too
post #15 of 27 Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 AM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Dude, that's feckin' cool! I've also been looking for ways to make my scroll saw investment pay off. I'd bought a scroll saw a few years back, and did a couple small things, but never had any really inspiring projects come up.

Geoff
post #16 of 27 Old 01-20-2020, 12:57 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
If you like making bowls with a scroll saw, do a web search for "scroll saw shells". A couple weeks ago, we saw a demonstration of how to make beautiful "nautilus" shape scroll sawn shells. The method requires attention to detail and a LOT of sanding. The smooth shells with the very glossy finish look very artistic and impressive.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...oll+saw+shells
http://www.spiralsbysteve.com/shells.php
post #17 of 27 Old 01-20-2020, 01:01 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
great work Terry!, wow!
post #18 of 27 Old 01-20-2020, 01:19 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
@Terry Q

I used to use that method and turned them on a lathe after glue up. Never tried just sanding. They look better than great.
How long does it take to sand one bowl?
Did you make your own special sanding jigs?

This is fantastic, especially the square ones.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #19 of 27 Old 01-20-2020, 01:58 PM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kklowell View Post
That's pretty cool. I would never have thought you could make a bowl with a scroll saw.
I'm thinking my scroll saw would take longer than 30 minutes to cut that total distance.

So far, this is the extent of my scroll saw projects. I made it for my wife last year and it seemed to take forever.
Very nice! That looks fairly intricate. A lot of individual cut-outs, which certainly slows me down. I'm betting your SO appreciated.

Geoff
post #20 of 27 Old 01-20-2020, 04:01 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Terry, I have been thinking about doing this very thing. I have been cutting some bowls like you are doing but on a bandsaw. When I cut them out on the BS I glue them up and turn the bowls on my lathe. They call them an economy bowl or simply a board from a board. I am better at a scroll saw than a bandsaw so that is the reason I want to change. I have been making my bowls out of 3/4" lumber. So what blade are you using to cut for your bowls? I think you have got something started. I really like what you are making and I plan on making some myself.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode