Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Project Showcase (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Scrap wood clamp to simple bench vise (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/scrap-wood-clamp-simple-bench-vise-213625/)

faith michel 07-21-2019 02:25 PM

Scrap wood clamp to simple bench vise
 
HI GUYS.. I have a scrap clamp .. what can i do?? I have a good idea .. The woodworking students need bench vise .. because they want to work at out of school workshop but they dont have a bench vise in their home..and they dont have any money for bench vise..because they are student.. I did convert a scrap wood clamp (35cm) to a very simple bench vise for they.. They can work woodworking in their home. .https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1a0c413e7c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0e32eb3bfe.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a7ee3e6174.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...31b415b381.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ed6010a7ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

faith michel 07-21-2019 02:28 PM


faith michel 07-21-2019 02:32 PM


Tony B 07-21-2019 02:57 PM

It's a good start.
I would like to see the final outcome.
Good luck in your future progress.

faith michel 07-22-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony B (Post 2063195)
It's a good start.

I would like to see the final outcome.

Good luck in your future progress.

Thank you very much for nice words...

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

woodnthings 07-22-2019 10:17 AM

Just an observation ......
 
The clamping force in this vise, is simply from a "F" clamp, not very much. The amount of force depends on the diameter of the threaded rod on the clamp and because of it's small size/diameter you can't generate much holding power. A larger diameter threaded rod like a 3/4" all thread would give you more holding power, BUT it would not have the fast adjustment feature of the "F" clamp. I use 1/2" threaded rods to make these panel clamps for gluing pieces together:


https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/memb...0-100-0386.jpg


https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/memb...0-100-0388.jpg


If you were to use a pipe clamp like this, even two of them between two boards spaced apart and run them through holes in the boards, you would have more clamping force:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d3/75/96/d...g-projects.jpg

faith michel 07-22-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodnthings (Post 2063257)
The clamping force in this vise, is simply from a "F" clamp, not very much. The amount of force depends on the diameter of the threaded rod on the clamp and because of it's small size/diameter you can't generate much holding power. A larger diameter threaded rod like a 3/4" all thread would give you more holding power, BUT it would not have the fast adjustment feature of the "F" clamp. I use 1/2" threaded rods to make these panel clamps for gluing pieces together:


https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/memb...0-100-0386.jpg


https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/memb...0-100-0388.jpg


If you were to use a pipe clamp like this, even two of them between two boards spaced apart and run them through holes in the boards, you would have more clamping force:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d3/75/96/d...g-projects.jpg

Thank you very much for your comments...

You're so genius.. I like your panel clamps.. it is usefully and effective. .

The students will not use for gluing pieces with it..

I will do a workbench from pallet wood for they..

They will do basic and simple exercises with hand tools on the workbench

Like these for example...

I think.. They don't need more extra holding power..

I want to try my chance and my luck..

If I hear negative feed back from students I can change...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9138ded165.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9e4afadd89.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fc5bb0f9c2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8f6829d326.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2de528671f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...30907a3ab0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4af8e96ce1.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

faith michel 07-22-2019 01:54 PM


faith michel 07-22-2019 01:59 PM

It is very cheap...
1 meter 25 Turkish liras.. it is only 4 dollars..


Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

faith michel 07-22-2019 02:02 PM


faith michel 07-22-2019 02:04 PM

But I want to try my first option now..

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

FrankC 07-23-2019 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Only change I would make is to make ends higher and put a notch for the clamp so vise will sit on bench.

faith michel 07-23-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankC (Post 2063395)
Only change I would make is to make ends higher and put a notch for the clamp so vise will sit on bench.

Thank you so much for your suggestions..

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome