Recycled Pallet wood project #1: Pallet wood table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Custom Pallet Wood Pro

View craftedbyethan's Photo Album My Photos
Talking Recycled Pallet wood project #1: Pallet wood table

This and more available at: http://blogspud.blogspot.com/2012/07...ycling-at.html

Hello all,

Recently I have set up a great deal with a local store to get their used pallets for free and all I have to do is pick em up. So I decided to start a blog about my work, but I wanted to bring each project by itself as well.

So as you see from the images, I have built a rustic patio table and bench set with pallet wood. At first it was a little bit daunting deciding how I wanted to build the table and how it would look because I did not want a typical picnic table design. So after a few drawings I went for the design you see below. I started it out with retrieving the wood and making sure I didn’t destroy the pieces in the process. I picked out each piece that I used for this project from like pallets that had similar dimensions and wood type.

THIS IS WHERE A PLANER & JOINER WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT!
But alas I don’t have either one yet. So I made do with my hand saw, skill saw (7,1/4), BD Hand Sander, Drill and Titebond III glue (I may consider using liquid nails in a future project).

After I sanded and glued the top together (using straps as a makeshift clamp… don’t have those yet either) I put together the top base and legs. I have to say it took alot of sanding to get it down to an acceptable flatness before I could weather proof and stain, but I am very happy with the top as it retains a rustic feel to it. And after some testing the water beads up very nicely.

The benches were much easier to assemble and look great. I wanted to inlay the seat boards but leave a rounded lip just above the line for the side boards.

In the end with much more practice I can see alot of great, quality projects with pallet wood. Check out my blog on blogger at: http://blogspud.blogspot.com/2012/07...ycling-at.html and here on lumber jocks: http://lumberjocks.com/craftedbyethan/blog/30975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM

View newman11's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful job! That is something to be proud of. What was the species that was used? I know most pallets are pine but did you come across some hardwoods with the ones you are collecting?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM

View MidGAOutdoor's Photo Album My Photos
nice work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 02:20 PM

View dbales's Photo Album My Photos
I love this type of stuff. It's good to see other guys like myself using pallet wood for something useful. What kind of weatherproofing stuff did you use? And what type of stain?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 04:03 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
Great Job....You spent some time on this ..
post #6 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Custom Pallet Wood Pro

View craftedbyethan's Photo Album My Photos
Newman11: I seem to be coming accross pine and also at time what seems to be oak and poplar. I am still new at identification so I may have some other species as well and just don't realize it.

dbales: I used a poly type weatherproofing that was semi clear and stained with a gel stain: Antique Maple.

Thanks to all!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 04:13 PM

View mattk8715's Photo Album My Photos
That looks fantastic! I'm not even sure if I'd plane it, I like the rustic look of it .

I manage a plastic recycling center so we deal w/ thousands of skids every day; I ship out 2 truckloads/week. Most of the ones I see here are 44"x48", and they're either oak or poplar. I see a couple pine ones, but most are oak or poplar.

I need a new patio set, hope you wouldn't mind if I used your idea; it looks too incredible not to! One more project to throw on the back burner . Very creative; I even love the bench vs making chairs! Nice job.

beer me

Tags
pallet project, pallet table, pallet wood, pallet woodworking, pallets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode