Recipe Box - First "Fine" project. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
(clever wood pun here)

View Phaedrus's Photo Album My Photos
Recipe Box - First "Fine" project.

I'll preface this by saying that I have built lots of stuff over the years, but this is one of the first things that I have made with the intention of having precise, solid joinery, not being over-built, and held together with only glue (and small screws for the hinges).

I started with some square cut 1x6 maple (I have no joiner/planer). I re-sawed it with my TS to around 3/8" thickness in two passes (admittedly not the smartest way to do it...but I have no band saw). Anyway, I paneled the narrower stock for the front and back of the box. I cut the four sides of the box with a 45 deg miter on the ends and a dado near the bottom of the inside faces of sides. I assembled the four sides of the box with glued miter joints and just a glued butt joints for the top. The floor of the box is made of 1/8" cedar that was placed in the dado's when assembled. I cut the box apart after it was glued and sanded. This would have been a simpler task with a band saw. I cut a shallow slit into the back and front of the box with the table saw. I then connected the two cuts by cutting the sides with a jigsaw along a curved line. Because my thin kerf TS blade is about twice as wide as my jigsaw blade, I had to sand the curve to even out the difference. After I had cut the lid free of the box, the front and back of the box developed a more pronounced concave bow. This is probably in part because my miters could have been a tad acute. Also, the floor is not glued in, so it doesn't serve as a structure element to square the box. To fix this, I cut two small strips of maple and sanded one side to shape it into an arc. I then clamped and glued these strips to the inside of the box with the arced side facing the panel. This seems to have flattened everything out as well as could be expected, though it isn't perfect. I then sanded the outside down to 320 grit by hand and and with a quarter-sheet vibrating sander. For the finish, I applied two coats of Tung oil. I'm not crazy about how this turned out. I used the same method on a frame just afterwards and I was able to get a much more even result. Below are some build photos.

Needless to say, I learned a whole bunch and am excited about further projects.

The wife's happy and that's what counts!
----

Last edited by Phaedrus; 05-16-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 12:37 AM

View MidGAOutdoor's Photo Album My Photos
nice work
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 AM

View autre's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
That's awesome. I really like how the lid and the box have a matching and mating contour. Nice touch. Great job

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #5 of 6 Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work.

+1 on Kenbo's comments.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM
ruiningprojects

View desertforest's Photo Album My Photos
nice one. and as you so rightly pointed out, the persdn whom it was intended for is happy, your wife, and that is all that matters.
thanks for sharing.

Tags
maple, newbie, oops, recipe box, tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode