Raw Whitewash Oak - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

View EarthyTimber's Photo Album My Photos
Cool Raw Whitewash Oak

Hello everyone!

First post on this forum. I think this is a good way to start.
Just wanted to show off this simple yet effective method. We hope you guys like it.

The good thing about this technique is that it preserves the natural colour of wood so it doesn't look plastic and cheap.
What do you think?
You can achieve this result at home without having to worry about losing your arms. It's fairly straightforward.

STEP 1: Brush over the using a drill and a metal wire brush.
STEP 2: Smooth out the rough edges using a more gentle brush/toilet brush.
STEP 3: Paint the surface using solvent-based paint mixed with varnish.
STEP 4: Wait for paint to dry.
STEP 5: Wipe down the surface using lint-free cloth.
STEP 6: Apply 2 coats of clear satin varnish (check guidelines on the tin to determine drying time). You can also give the surface a light sand (120-grit) in between coats.

If you want to know how to recreate this in more detail, check out our step-by-step video with specific visual instructions.
You can find it simply by typing 'earthytimber' into the YouTube search box, but I've also included a direct link to the video below:

It would be great if you guys tried this technique for yourselves. This method is inexpensive and gives a lot of room for experimenting, which is what DIY is all about.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-28-2017, 11:43 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't care for step 3 & 6. Use a oil based enamel just thinned, don't add the varnish. Varnish will yellow as it ages and cause the color to change over time. Likewise to coat over the pickled finish with varnish will yellow. Instead allow the whitewash to dry a week and put a water based polyurethane over the top. You could also use some lacquers or any finish that says it's acrylic.

The reason you let the whitewash dry a week for the waterbased poly is waterborne finishes don't adhere well when there is a presence of linseed oil and linseed oil is one of the ingredients of oil based paint.

Tags
custom, diy, oak, slab, woodworking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode