A quick bee hive top - just a box really - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 08-29-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

View Paul Montgomery's Photo Album My Photos
A quick bee hive top - just a box really

We split a hive recently but found out we didnít have a top. An emergency piece of sheet rock worked but winter rains are coming! This is essentially just another way to make a box so I thought Iíd share it here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-29-2018, 06:50 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I know this is getting away from the topic but I have some wild bees in a hollow of an oak tree on my property. The last week their probably is hundreds of bees all clumped up around the opening of the hollow day and night. Curious as to why? Usually only see them coming and going.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-29-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

The bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I know this is getting away from the topic but I have some wild bees in a hollow of an oak tree on my property. The last week their probably is hundreds of bees all clumped up around the opening of the hollow day and night. Curious as to why? Usually only see them coming and going.
It's getting to be fall and the bees know it. They may be bringing in nector and/or pollen. Another reason they will come out in numbers is if it gets hot. In which case they come out to fan cooler air into the hive.

Paul M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-29-2018, 10:45 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Montgomery View Post
It's getting to be fall and the bees know it. They may be bringing in nector and/or pollen. Another reason they will come out in numbers is if it gets hot. In which case they come out to fan cooler air into the hive.

Paul M
Maybe it's the heat, it's been getting up to around 100 every day. I just never noticed the bees coming out before.

I've thought about building some boxes for them but my wife would kill me. She wants everything with a stinger exterminated. The hive is only about 50' from my house but it's about 25' up in a oak tree.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-30-2018, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

The bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Maybe it's the heat, it's been getting up to around 100 every day. I just never noticed the bees coming out before.

I've thought about building some boxes for them but my wife would kill me. She wants everything with a stinger exterminated. The hive is only about 50' from my house but it's about 25' up in a oak tree.
When the bees come out of the tree like that, it's called 'bearding'. Their job is to keep the hive at a proper temperature so they come out side, flap their wings, and push air into the hive.

If you were to try and capture these bees, you probably wouldn't get the queen and the hive would die. It would also be a rather lengthy process. Then you would have to be set up to try and save them. It's something that I would do, but I'm already set up with hives so I could just integrate the bees into another hive even if I didn't get the queen.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-05-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Finally got the mesh for the mesh for the screen top. Since the wood work was already done, it was a quick job to get it all wrapped up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode