Pirate Galley - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Richinscarpentry.com

View Richins's Photo Album My Photos
Pirate Galley

This is our latest in far out designs.
The homeowner has ponderd and debated on just how he would like his “Pirate Galley” would look like. This is the end result after getting the go ahead 3 months ago.
The cabinets are clear alder with a heck of a lot of custom distressing.It was acomplished with the use of a belt sander. a grinder and a lot of sanding to make all grooves soft with no sharp edges. The desire was to have a smooth worn look rather than the typicall ” beat to heck” look.
Then the finishes were applied to give each section its own unique apearance. The island is a brown with black accents while the wall cabinets were a black with brown accents. The base barrels are white oak whisky barrels from Kentucky Barrell company. We had to figure out how to cut into a barrell with out it flying apart. Construct the doors and install the lazy susans. While the uppers are cedar from Maine Barrell company. (Kentucky Barrell has some serious issues with honesty and customer service incompentance. I would NOT recomend useing them) Due to the cedar barrells being constructed for display use. (not to any kind of cabinet specs) We had to dissasembel them and use the parts to construct the doors. A huge pain but it paid off.
The granite work was done by a man that learned how to apply copper to granite while employed at Disney Land. Very talented man.
For more information you can see the complete project on our website / blog.
Thanks, Dion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9089.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	15688  

Name:	DSCF9049.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	15689  

Name:	DSCF9062.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	15690  

Name:	DSCF9059.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	15691  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 AM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Shiver me timbers that is a different look for a kitchen me bucko. I'll wager ye a gold doubloon the next owner will scuttle it, but your design and craftsmanship was fantastic!
post #3 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK007 View Post
Shiver me timbers that is a different look for a kitchen me bucko. I'll wager ye a gold doubloon the next owner will scuttle it, but your design and craftsmanship was fantastic!

+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 03:26 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

You never know another Pirate might be looking to live in the area if & when they sell. but your design and craftsmanship is fantastic!
post #5 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 05:18 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I love the work that you've done here. I would love to show my children, but unfortunately, these photo are rated ARRRRRR!!

Nice work
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #6 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 05:49 PM

View Leatherneck's Photo Album My Photos
I like the rock edge on the granite. Heck, .. i like the look of it all.
Very nicely done
post #7 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 05:52 PM

View Scotman's Photo Album My Photos
That kitchen is slicker than butter on a bald monkey.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Better than some...

View sausagefingers's Photo Album My Photos
That's just freaking awesome. It's also the first time I've ever liked a chiseled edge on granite. Usually looks too fake, that works perfectly.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-11-2010, 01:12 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
That is definitely unique. I love it in that house, but my wife would never allow something like that in mine. It'd be cool if you could tap those barrels and fill them with rum. Very unique, but as said, your craftsmanship appears to be superb.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-11-2010, 06:48 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
+1.

It might even reduce the selling price of what is probably a very nice house.

Your workmanship and imagination to achieve the look is great.

G
post #11 of 16 Old 07-11-2010, 07:06 AM
wood hacker

View ihackwood's Photo Album My Photos
that was nicely executed and feel the house would sell to the right person and with the internet that person is easier to reach, very talented design though
post #12 of 16 Old 07-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Personally, I think that's one of the ugliest projects I've ever witnessed. There is very little class in the mish-mash of colors, finishes and styles. It speaks of "I've got more money than Christ has Corporals, so I can be totally off the wall."

Well, like they always say...There's no accounting for taste.

Apart from all that, your work looks solid, I do like the barrel bolt closers on the one end cabinet pic, but I bet it just made you sick to do all that damage to such fine woodworking...

Interesting post.

regards,
smitty
post #13 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Richinscarpentry.com

WOW............Hate to make someone sick....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1967 View Post
Personally, I think that's one of the ugliest projects I've ever witnessed. There is very little class in the mish-mash of colors, finishes and styles. It speaks of "I've got more money than Christ has Corporals, so I can be totally off the wall."

Well, like they always say...There's no accounting for taste.

Apart from all that, your work looks solid, I do like the barrel bolt closers on the one end cabinet pic, but I bet it just made you sick to do all that damage to such fine woodworking...

Interesting post.

regards,
smitty

Wow I FEEL THE LOVE.
It is true that some people have different tastes than others. But If your going to work in the big houses with the big money then you have to be willing to do strange things sometimes. Irregardless I guarantee you wont see anything like it for a while....except for another guy that wants us to make some furniture in the same fashion. (strange there are 2 of them out there)

Thanks for the compliments. And thank god we are all different and like different looks. Otherwise it would be a very, very boring world.:)
post #14 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 PM

View Schramm's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Schramm
Other then I don't see any potential in resale as kitchens are the top selling feature of a home. Your work is fantastic and I love the idea of the barrels as I own a couple Jack barrels that I thought about doing something to eventually.

That counter is not granite, it is granicrete. I did that product for about 10 years and it does give the real look of granite but you can make it do anything.

"LIKE" Us on FACEBOOK

If you cannot find time to do it right the first time, how will you find the time to do it over?
post #15 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 PM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
great work not to my taste but great all the same

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #16 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Richinscarpentry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schramm View Post
Other then I don't see any potential in resale as kitchens are the top selling feature of a home. Your work is fantastic and I love the idea of the barrels as I own a couple Jack barrels that I thought about doing something to eventually.

That counter is not granite, it is granicrete. I did that product for about 10 years and it does give the real look of granite but you can make it do anything.

I'm sorry it is real granite. I personally picked up the slab and delivered it to the fabricator. When I figure out where he gets his Copper finish I will start offering the edge detail in house as well.

Tags
barrels, custom cabinets, rustic furniture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode