Woodworking Talk banner

Overhead storage in garage (or workshop)

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  kiwi_outdoors 
#1 · (Edited)
easy-peasy project to get infrequently used items out of the way. We have no basement (typical for California), and the attic is not convenient for heavy and awkward items.

Be sure to allow for sag on the supporting beam as the garage door must still clear it after you load up the bin (tray).

Heaviest items go at the upper end, near the hinge (hung from the orangey colored 2x6 tie beam, via 1x4 hangers).

I used #10 sash cord - its easy on the hands when pulling on the cord.

That's a small Skil drill press sin the photo, I really don't have room for it, and its low speed is not low enough, but its sure useful from time to time, even for woodworking or mixed wood-metal projects (such as Monkey Bars in the attic).

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
it's a neat solution - but be aware.... national/local code requirements can put a big K-Bosh on _anything_ that compromises the fire barrier/safety issue of 'garage' dry wall to 'living space'

for example...big broad brush strokes.... normal 'interior walls' are fine wit h 1/2 inch drywall. stud framed walls to 'garage' areas require 5/8" fire retardant drywall and "penetrations" aka cut outs for electric lights/door opener receptacles are exceptionally limited/regulated.

cutting a bigg-aaasrse fold/pull down tray in the garage ceiling (???like seriously,,, the hottest point of the garage fire.....) could make for issues.

your mileage may vary.

#3 ·
what ceiling

Its a garage built in 1962 (Ranch House)- there is no ceiling - its clear up to the wooden rafters. The 5/8" clad walls are in between the garage/living room and garage/kitchen.

#6 ·
what is the problem

yup.
it all works perfectly until the buyers home-inspector gets there

..... just one retired engineer to another retired engineer.
I don’t see that I have any code violation in my installation, what am I missing?

I sold my last house as-is no problems. The bigger issue would be if a buyer had a nit picky insurer involved in the loan process. And only if there were code issues.

#8 ·
#1 - code varies place to place
#2 - existing structures are usually grandfathered

around here, a garage space intended for automobiles has specific fire barrier requirements.
interior/exterior/makes no difference.

cutting a hole for drop down tray storage in such a garage will cause a problem.

that was the point I obviously failed to make - it works in your case, but not in every case.

#9 ·
LET ME CLARIFY (since I cannot seem to edit the original post)

IF you want to build such a tray, and IF you have a sheetrocked ceiling in the garage, do NOT cut a hole in the sheetrock in order to make this tray system.

If you garage has an open roof framing (no coiling) then you are fine (for fire issues) as no fire barrier is being penetrated.

#10 ·
PERFECT for our barns, grainery, and other outbuildings, even horse stalls!
thanks a bunch for this idea.
I often rig something from rafters but NOT that hinges down for easy access.
WTG!

#11 ·
I recently added two (travel) stops at the far end (end w/o hinges) using some leftover plywood pieces and a couple of screws. This way I can (must) always fully raise it to the stops, to be sure that the garage door will clear it. I learnt this the hard way (no damage done).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.