Olive wood project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BuzzardsBayWoodShop

post #1 of 8 Old 07-19-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

View BuzzardsBayWoodShop's Photo Album My Photos
Olive wood project

I just received 4 pieces of olive wood from woodcraft. Each 3x3x12. They are all covered with a paraffin wax.
I took one piece as a test and skimmed all 4 sides on my jointer leaving the wax only on the ends.
The jointer did a great job with minimal stock loss.
The olive wood does feel like it’s still wet.

I am going to let them shop dry and in a few weeks I will resaw them into 5/8 slices, joint, plane, and make glue ups for use in building a humidor.
I have a customer who wants an olive wood humidor. It will be lined with Spanish cedar and have engraving and corner splines.
If anyone is interested, I’ll keep you posted.
Pete

Pete
Buzzards Bay Wood Shop LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2020, 05:59 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Pete, welcome to the forum !!
yes, that is what you need to do with waxed wood from an outside source.
hopefully, you can post photos of your humidor project once you get
started on it. plus any other projects you may have going on.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-20-2020, 06:17 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsBayWoodShop View Post
I just received 4 pieces of olive wood from woodcraft. Each 3x3x12. They are all covered with a paraffin wax.
I took one piece as a test and skimmed all 4 sides on my jointer leaving the wax only on the ends.
The jointer did a great job with minimal stock loss.
The olive wood does feel like itís still wet.

I am going to let them shop dry and in a few weeks I will resaw them into 5/8 slices, joint, plane, and make glue ups for use in building a humidor.
I have a customer who wants an olive wood humidor. It will be lined with Spanish cedar and have engraving and corner splines.
If anyone is interested, Iíll keep you posted.
Pete
If your olive wood really is wet, a few weeks won't be enough to dry it. Using the rule of thumb for drying of one year per inch of thickness, you've got some time before using it. But, you don't know how long it's been on the shelf at Woodcraft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-20-2020, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, I will keep you posted. As you said, it may take a while to dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1595246179626.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	392665  

Pete
post #5 of 8 Old 07-20-2020, 08:06 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you and it will show in each post. Add your location to your profile, as well.

I moved this to its own thread instead of tacking it on the end of a 7 year old thread. You'll probably get more traction this way.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready.

================================================== ==========================
Here are some photo posting tips if youíre taking photos with your phone or iPad Ė the best way for proper orientation is to shoot landscape (widescreen). Rotate your phone or iPad CCW for proper orientation. If you want your photos to be portrait then open the photo in a viewer on your computer, rotate it to the orientation you want, then save it in that orientation. It will be correct when you upload it to the servers here. If youíre shooting video please shoot widescreen like our monitors, not portrait.

The best way to post photos in line with your text is to use Go Advanced below the Quick Reply window. If youíre starting a new thread then youíre automatically in the Advanced editor. Click on the Paper Clip on the ribbon bar and that will bring up a dialogue box where you can browse to your photos. Upload them and then put your cursor where you want a photo, hit the dropdown beside the Paper Clip, and choose the photo you want inserted. If you have several photos and just want them at the end of your text then put your cursor at the end and hit the Insert All on the dropdown list of photos.

Always post a photo rather than a link; most folks won't click on a link.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 8 Old 07-20-2020, 12:23 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
You purchased some of Woodcraft's turning blanks. The supplier waxed them while the wood was still wet, so that they would not crack while sitting on the shelf for sale at the store.

If you have time, scrape off the wood on the sides as you have done. Leave the wax on the ends to reduce checking (cracks on the ends). Put them on "stickers" (thin pieces of scrapwood) to allow the air to flow underneath and all around the wood.

The rule of thumb is to air dry wood one year per inch of thickness. Waxed wood that you buy in the woodworking stores is not "ready to use" when it is shipped, but it does dry slowly on the shelf anyway. If it has been on the shelf for a long time, it may be further along than the "rule of thumb."

If you want to take chances and accelerate the process, you might resaw the wood into extra thick boards, which would dry faster, but risks twisting, cupping, and warping. With extra thickness, you may be able to plane them flat after drying, if they aren't too bad. Obviously this approach makes for increased waste and risk, but it may be worth it if you are trying to fill an order from a customer. Perhaps you can resaw just a single piece into thick boards to let it dry as an experiment to see what happens before you commit to resawing the remaining pieces.

You can buy moisture meters that measure the moisture in your wood. They range in price. I do not own one, but have read here on WoodworkingTalk that you "get what you pay for." Lower priced models are not as good or as accurate as the higher priced ones.

Many woodturners are used to wet wood. They turn the piece part way, leaving it "thick", then allowing the turned wood to dry for a few months, distorting as it dries. After the partially turned wood is dry, they mount it back on the lathe and turn it again, rounding off the distortions and thinning the piece to make a perfect, dry woodturning.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-21-2020, 11:57 AM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
would it be better to resaw it now to 5/8" and then sticker it?
drying time would be reduced from 18 months to a few months
stickered with a couple of cinder blocks on top to help keep it flat
post #8 of 8 Old 07-22-2020, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I think that I’m going to resaw one piece now, sticker it, and see how it goes. My shop is climate controlled and wood dries well.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode