Obelisk Trellis - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-02-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

View mtairymd's Photo Album My Photos
Obelisk Trellis

Each year I try something new in the garden. This year, I was looking for a different way to cage tomatoes. I have metal wire cages that are pretty flimsy and always seem to tip over after the tomato plant reaches 3 feet tall. This is my try at a wooden trellis in the shape of an obelisk. Mostly, it is for decoration but having the obelisk shape does allow us to stack the cages together for winter.

Build Instructions: https://www.instructables.com/id/Obe...is-for-Garden/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6406.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	297865  

Name:	IMG_6311.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	297873  

Name:	IMG_6313.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	297881  

Name:	IMG_6340.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	297889  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-02-2017, 05:17 PM

View Jesse Blair's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty cool design, looks nice. I need to come up with something else too. I typically just go with the standard round wire cages, but I'm probably going to downsize my garden, since I normally plant and grow enough food to feed 20 people and most of it ends up rotting on the vine. I've thought about horizontal growing, using wood lattice on a frame, maybe 3 or 4 feet high so I don't have to crawl under it to reach the fruit. Apparently tomatoes do well that way, since naturally they would spread on the ground, instead of up. Might make one 2 feet wide and 6 feet long, and hang a planter on each end and route the runners along the top of the lattice.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Even though our garden is relatively small, it produces way more than we can eat. I usually just bring the harvest into work place it on the common table. It's gone by lunch time!

For tomatoes, I generally use wire cages or stakes. I actually made this because I was bored. I made the attached cucumber trellis a couple of years ago and it works great.

See build instructions here:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Garden-Trellis/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blair View Post
Pretty cool design, looks nice. I need to come up with something else too. I typically just go with the standard round wire cages, but I'm probably going to downsize my garden, since I normally plant and grow enough food to feed 20 people and most of it ends up rotting on the vine. I've thought about horizontal growing, using wood lattice on a frame, maybe 3 or 4 feet high so I don't have to crawl under it to reach the fruit. Apparently tomatoes do well that way, since naturally they would spread on the ground, instead of up. Might make one 2 feet wide and 6 feet long, and hang a planter on each end and route the runners along the top of the lattice.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-02-2017, 08:18 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I went the DELUXE route with the upside down duct tape version..

I know it'll be difficult, but please contain your envy..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #5 of 6 Old 06-03-2017, 03:34 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
On the subject of gardening in general I toss in wood shavings and sawdust to the soil quite often, but did learn a lesson about decomposing it. It requires a bit of nitrogen added to the soil to help things rot properly otherwise the shavings will tend to suck up most, if not all of the water and nutrients in the soil.
Last year when I first started doing it I could never keep the soil moist enough during the summer. This year with plenty of nitrogen added everything is growing like gangbusters. This stuff works great and is dirt cheap compared to many other commercial fertilizers commonly sold.
both of the big box lumber yards locally here carry it and you really can't add too much and burn up the soil..Well, I guess you could if you really tried, but it's just ground up fish guts..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-03-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

That looks good to me! I made a similar 3 pole cage last year. I geeked it out with a 3D printed Finial.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Tre...nial-Assembly/

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
I went the DELUXE route with the upside down duct tape version..

I know it'll be difficult, but please contain your envy..

Tags
bean, cage, peas, tomato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode