Woodworking Talk banner

New tonthis forum...throwing out a new piece i have been working on...

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  oldmacnut 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I am new to this forum but I would like to spend good time here. I am a woodturner, and am at the point where I want to step up my game with more deep-hollow turning, metal inlay, sculptural carving, etc... I am going to try to attach something that I just finished recently.

Metal Tableware

Manzanita burl with pyrography and brass mica inlay, and wrought iron and leather.
Happy new year, everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is a better image of the same piece. What do you think?
So, I am in the market for. 20" bandsaw. Do I suck up the cost of a Cadillac model, with great precision? Or, a much less expensive model but also afford a planer/sander to clean up cuts with some drift? Any advice on which way to go?

Manzanita burl hanging vessel

#4 ·

Here is a better image of the same piece. What do you think?
So, I am in the market for. 20" bandsaw. Do I suck up the cost of a Cadillac model, with great precision? Or, a much less expensive model but also afford a planer/sander to clean up cuts with some drift? Any advice on which way to go?

View attachment 58115

Manzanita burl hanging vessel
A very cool bowl. I like the way you displayed it. For a bandsaw, I would look for at least a 14", either with a riser or one able to be fitted with one (in case you want to resaw). If you diligently watch CL and eBay, you might run across a good deal on an 18" or a 20".

#5 ·
Any bandsaw is only as good as the adjustments. That said, yo could probably spend around $600 for a new one and even less for a good used one that will accept a 6" riser and with proper adjustments have a really good saw and plenty left over for a planner and a joiner.

That piece you made is lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

#7 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words - I will enjoy being part of this forum, and I will post more in the future. Also, thanks for the advice on the bandsaw. I am watching eBay and found one I may go for - a 20" bandsaw that is older but heavy and rock solid. Happy new year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.