New House, new projects! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jsdphilly

post #1 of 6 Old 05-30-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

View jsdphilly's Photo Album My Photos
New House, new projects!

We bought a house, so I decided it was finally time to learn how to be a DIY'er.

It started with building raised flower beds as soon as we moved in

They have since been filled with about a million pounds of dirt and have been producing very very well!

Then it was time to make sure my dogs wouldn't get hit by a car! I called a fence company and the quote they gave me was ridiculous! SOO i decided I would just do it myself! Maybe not 100% perfect, but I am proud of it. AND, this is the project that really reminded me how much I wanted to get into woodworking. Something about the feeling of something from nothing just resonated with me!

Then of course, it was time to make a wood shop! Space is tight, even in the new house...so I used my Home Depot move coupon and made a plan. About 100 trips back and forth to harbor freight and home depot, and I had a work bench and a little shop in my basement.

So I decided to make something, I don't have any pictures of it finished, but I made a little mail holder for inside the front door.

Then, at the end, I decided to try and build something a bit nicer. I just looked at pictures and sorta went at it. I made some plans but they were followed very loosely.

Now I am starting on a larger bookcase. I also am hoping to start trying to build boxes soon as well. I added a router to the shop so I am going to try and get a router table!

Its great to be here, I have already learned so much from just looking around the forums.
Toolman50 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-30-2017, 12:39 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Nice start, jsd. I like the book shelf unit.
Be careful when doing those outdoor projects. In some areas, the permitting process and enforcement is draconian, to put it nicely.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
Nice start, jsd. I like the book shelf unit.
Be careful when doing those outdoor projects. In some areas, the permitting process and enforcement is draconian, to put it nicely.
Thanks, luckily i live in a little township with shockingly lack regulations. Essentially, as long as you are not putting in a non-porous foundation, they don't care. Since there was once a fence there and you could see one of the old posts, they said no permit needed. People have chicken coops, bonfires...its crazy. And all of this only 10 min outside of Philadelphia!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2017, 01:24 PM
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have really small dogs, or is that fence taller than it looks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdphilly View Post
Then it was time to make sure my dogs wouldn't get hit by a car! I called a fence company and the quote they gave me was ridiculous! SOO i decided I would just do it myself! Maybe not 100% perfect, but I am proud of it. AND, this is the project that really reminded me how much I wanted to get into woodworking. Something about the feeling of something from nothing just resonated with me!

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
Do you have really small dogs, or is that fence taller than it looks?
The fence is only 3 feet tall. I have a 100lb pit mix (she is 10 and has cushings so she is way overweight) and a puggle who is only about 12 inches high.

The pit wouldn't run, I got her when I was in school in VT, she didnt really use a leash for the first 5 years I had her...the fence is more for my peace of mind with her.

And the puggle could probably jump it if there was something chasing him, but he is barely a dog so it is just to stop him from chasing squirrels onto the street.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-30-2017, 04:59 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like you are staying busy, and your work looks good.

I too was wondering about the fence it looks shorter than 3 ft but I guess it is the angle. But 3 ft will keep most dogs in if it doesn't get a electric fence charger, and string a wire on top, if they ever get zapped they won;t go within 10 feet of it. We used to have Great Danes, love them but they die so young, but when we first got the last pair, we had an electric fence to keep the bull from the heifers, and the white Dame got zapped by the fence. For the rest of his life he would not go near that field

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode