Woodworking Talk banner

This is my new job...

9K views 71 replies 9 participants last post by  John Smith_inFL 
#1 ·
Hi guys...

I always want to building 3 things in my life...

1) To build a wooden tiny house for myself....
I did do it 2 years ago...
You can read my story here...

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/wooden-tiny-house-201010/

2) To build a wooden sail boat ...
I will do it in next 10 years...

3) To build a wooden real car...
I will do it in next 20 years

Next target TO BUILD A WOODEN SAIL BOAT...

I have never build a wooden sail boat before... How can i do that ??? I have to work near wooden boat builder master... I can learn somethings than him... but There is not any a wooden boat builder master in IZMIR... They are living in TRABZON , ORDU or SAMSUN... it is too far cities from me...

Anyway I find a job in the fiberglass boat factory... I am a student but I can work part time here... I am working woodworking in this factory... I am learning too much about to build a boat here .. my job is really very hard and too difficult...

We are using Teak wood for boat s hardware... Teak wood is really very expensive....
We are apply teak oil on it...

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

See less See more
#8 ·
I had built 3 wooden boats in my life. My plans were purchased through https://www.glen-l.com/. Their plans are excellent and the patterns are full size. Their customer service is fantastic, they will help you over the phone if necessary.
Their plans are for wooden, fiberglass and steel boats - pick your choice. You can view their boat plans on line with all the specs. If you build the wooden boat and fiberglass the hull, you will have a nice boat. They also have a good book on building wooden boats.

It will take a while and you will need some covered space to do it in.

BTW, what do they use the pine and red oak for on a boat?

#10 ·
I had built 3 wooden boats in my life. My plans were purchased through https://www.glen-l.com/. Their plans are excellent and the patterns are full size. Their customer service is fantastic, they will help you over the phone if necessary.

Their plans are for wooden, fiberglass and steel boats - pick your choice. You can view their boat plans on line with all the specs. If you build the wooden boat and fiberglass the hull, you will have a nice boat. They also have a good book on building wooden boats.

It will take a while and you will need some covered space to do it in.

BTW, what do they use the pine and red oak for on a boat?
Thank you so much @Tony B... we use it for kitchen and toilet furniture. ..

#11 · (Edited)
I have never used pine or red oak on any of my boats. Not the ones I built nor the manufactured ones I bought. Pine tends to rot fairly easily when wet and even if you put a finish on red oak, somehow water still get under the surface, and the red oak will turn black and there is no way I know of to get rid of it at that stage.

My partner and I have lived on boats for about 25 years. Started on really small sailboats and slowly graduated up in size. My last boat was a 36' cabin cruiser and we traveled the inland rivers and waterways for almost 5 years. It was a great experience with lots of stories. The we decided to sell the boat and buy an RV (recreational vehicle, camper, caravan) about 2 years ago and been traveling on it around the USA. I miss my boats.

BTW, if you decide to build a boat from plans from Glen-L, you wont need a whole lot of woodworking experience. They cover all the details and the plans are full size on the critical framework. Just know how to safely use the tools you have.

#13 · (Edited)
We are asking customers. .. Because teak wood is very expensive. ..you know pine is cheap price... sometimes some customers prefer pine wood. .because they have no enough budget for a boat...

Woaww 25 years...it is very long time sir... ( summer and winter full time )

i am wondering. ..have you got a picture your old boat ???

Why did you choose RV for to live ??

Which ways so dangerous roadways or waterways ???

Which life is the best RV or boat ???

When will you back again rivers or oceans? ???

Have you ever been to the ocean ???

You are a master. .. you can do it better than your old boat.. please don't be sad...

Opss .. it was be very long..

#15 ·
Pictures of my 3rd sailboat.
All photos of previous boats were not digitized and lost from flooding in storage area during Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
This boat was also damaged in hurricane and the insurance company totaled it out. The damage was not serious but there were no more marinas to keep it in and no boatyards to fix it in. The area was totally devastated. I was working offshore at the time. Luckily, I had my laptop with me so I didnt lose any recent photos.

Attachments

#18 ·
This is my last boat. The picture of outside the boat was taken by the broker when I was selling the boat. Twin engine 36' long. I made lots of mods and upgrades on this one. I bought the boat for $25K in I think 2012 and put around another $25K into it. Sold it and actually got more than I had into it. That;s the only time THAT ever happened.

Attachments

#21 ·
O.M.G Your boats are amazing. ..one word WONDERFUL. .. if you are not happy in RV You must back captain's chair for to sit...

Thank you very much Tom... for sharing your experiences and pictures with us.

What's the problem? ?? I don't know...
Unfortunately I didn't downloaded your pdf.

What's the time over there ?? I don't know
The time is very late for me... I have to sleep now.. I have to get up early...

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN TOM FOR YOUR HOT CONVERSATION....

#22 ·
..............Unfortunately I didn't downloaded your pdf.
It should work when you hit this link https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/att...-my-new-job-1986-mainship-36-double-cabin.pdf

Thanks for the compliments. All of my boats were older boats and looked pretty rough when I bought them.
My boat buying rules were never buy a boat that you cant motor and sail the day you buy it. And it never had any major flooding. Only needs cosmetic work and not structural work.
I have seen many people buy an old wreck and think they are going to resurrect it. Five years later, they threw a ton of money and labor into it and eventually abandon it.

By the way, take advantage of your new job and learn as much about fiberglassing as you can. After a short while you will learn how easy it is to work with and the big trick is to be able to work CLEAN. After a while, fiberglass will become your best friend. Not much you can't do with it.

#23 · (Edited)
I did buy a new generator today. It is too heavy. I have to add 4 wheels.. I want to use for my tiny house and boat. I did buy it than the boat factory. They did do %50 discount for me.. Because I am their staff.
I want to buy boat equipment from them.
I have a empty room in my home for boat equipment and hardware..
I don't want electronic devices ( fish finder navigation.. etc. ) No electronic devices no problem at the sea. Everythings will be old fashion in my boat..

SM-J700F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

#25 ·
Faith - I am totally nautical minded with anything pertaining to boats.
I hope that you have the best of luck in your next license exam.
I got my Seaman's License when I was in the US Navy. it is long time expired now.
please share your journey with your new boat project.
(get a good quality sextant and learn to work it in all kinds of weather).

#26 ·
Faith - I am totally nautical minded with anything pertaining to boats.

I hope that you have the best of luck in your next license exam.

I got my Seaman's License when I was in the US Navy. it is long time expired now.

please share your journey with your new boat project.

(get a good quality sextant and learn to work it in all kinds of weather).

Thank you so much sir...

#27 ·
I have a seamans license and a 100 ton master license. They have both expired a long time ago. The test is very challenging because it is like learning a whole new language. I went to a sea school to study for my license. If you are able to, I suggest you go. many in my class didnt make it on the first go around.
I'm surprised you have to wait 180 days. Thats like a lifetime.
Anyway, good luck in your studies and just hang in there and it will happen

Also congratulations on you generator purchase. That will make life much easier.

Oh, by the way, are you going to fiberglass a wooden hull or will it all be fiberglass. These kind of projects get exciting for me. They show real goals.

#33 ·
Oh, by the way, are you going to fiberglass a wooden hull or will it all be fiberglass. These kind of projects get exciting for me. They show real goals.

I have 3 options Tony..

1) FIBERGLASS
I don't want this option.. Because I need a fiberglass boat mold.. I did ask my boss. I want to rent their fiberglass boat mold for two or three days.. His answer is negative.. I don't want do a fiberglass boat mold..

2) %100 WOODEN BOAT
I can do that but I don't want.. Because there are many disadvantages..
https://www.ktb.gov.tr/EN-98769/wood-as-a-building-material-it39s-benefits-and-disadvan-.html

3) PLYWOOD + EPOXY
This option is the best for me.. I want to this option.. I know plywood but I don't know epoxy.. I learning epoxy...

#29 ·
Not a matter of age, more a matter of physical condition. And if you know what you are doing, and have the right equipment, you can go on for a long time.

Example, While on the Tennessee river i met many people that were doing the great loop. Surprisingly, they were mostly seniors and usually take around 10 months to do. Some would take a few years The Americas Great Loop is around 5500 - 6500 miles. Two years ago i ran into a middle aged couple on a very small 25' sailboat. The mast was purposely removed for the trip. He had MS and she had her right arm missing from above the elbow and down. she would jump on and off the boat like a champ. he on the other hand was a little more sickly. It was something he always wanted to do and so she decided it would be fun. When I met them, they were going to a fall conference of the AGLCA. About 60 miles from the Mississippi River At this point, they were about 3/4 of the way home. So, boating can be done by most people if they want. Then of course, there are those that are too handicapped. Anyway, don't say too old. Maybe too incapacitated, but not too old.

Attachments

#31 ·
I did buy a welding machine today.. I have no experience metal working before..
I realize
to be a carpenter is not enough for a build a boat
You have to be a little a metal worker..
You have to be a little a electrician..
You have to be a little a plumber..
You have to be a little a..................... etc.
I have to be a TEAM..

#36 ·
There are many skills in not only building a boat but also in maintaining it. If you can travel with that portable welder, you can make a part-time income on it. The biggie is if you can weld stainless steel tubing. Many boaters have had a bump or two with a dock and bent up a stainless or aluminum rail. Usually cant be repaired but people will gladly pay for that bent section to be replaced. Learning 12V DC wiring is not that difficult at all. The most difficult part of dealing with boat wiring is when you buy an older boat. The previous owners usually have many years experience of screwing things up. Electricity seems to be their favorite. Usually everytime I bought an old boat, I slowly replaced all the wiring.

#35 · (Edited)
Here is a link to a website where they sell plans. https://www.glen-l.com/boat-plans-catalog-300-boats-you-can-build/ Some are for fiberglass, some are for steel and aluminum and most are for wood and they suggest the wood be covered with fiberglass.

I would suggest you start with a small pram or row boat. That will get you some practice with frames and plywood construction and covering with fiberglass. Since epoxy resin is soooo expensive, I suggest you make one of the above boats and cover with fiberglass/polyester resin. Less than half the price of epoxy. more than worthy of the job and techniques are almost identical to epoxy resins. Glen-L plans are simple and full scale for detailed or difficult parts. The boats that I built using their plans were full size even for the frames. Have fun making a small boat then either use it or sell it. They really are fun to build.
Their website will keep you reading for many mnay days.
There are many boats out there that are wood/polyester resin and still in use.

#38 ·
Thanks Tony.. I have got plans..I want to share it.. I don't want a very small boat.. It will be 6metres and 50 cm.. İ want to park it on a trailer in my garden Because to rent a place in marinas in my country.. It is too expensive.. I will do it one time.. It have to be perfect.. There is a rule in here.. I can not sell it for 15 years..

PART 1

#37 ·
@Faith

I want to relay to you and others what an older man on my first job told me.
"You don't have to be a millionaire to live like one".
You can buy a car you like and take trips in it and it don't have to be a Rolls Royce to get you there.
Same goes for boats. You can have as much, if not more fun in your little boat as they have in their mega-yacht.
You are still young and dont let life cheat you. Set realistic goals and aim for what is attainable and go for it.

#40 ·
GREAT NEWS

You are really going for it Congratulations. It looks very similar to the plans I am used to. You lay out the frame stations, make the huil up-side down and pretty much finish it that way. Then roll it over and work on the cabin inside. I am very happy for you.
In the US, we have a humorous expression for things we dont understand. We usually say "it looks like Greek to me". In this case Turkish is close enough.
Enjoy your build and I will help anyway I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.