Woodworking Talk banner

My most difficult build....ever!!!!

3K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  MLP 
#1 ·
I built this project this week. A few hours each day. The wood, white oak and black walnut, belonged to my dad who we lost a few years ago. The finial is spalted maple that came from a tree cut down by my neighbors last spring.
Now the difficulty did not lie in any intricate cuts or difficult joinery. Now the oak end pieces attach to the corner posts via a 3/8 dado. The front and back pieces attach to the corner posts in a 3/8 rabbit. Simple enough. This is all my design. I prayed to the Lord and spoke with my deceased father asking for them to guide my hands because this would be the last thing I could ever build for my daughter.

On February 14th, 2020, my 23 year old daughter, an only Child, passed away at the UT Methodist Transplant Institute in Memphis, TN.
She had a reaction to a medication which caused lactic acidosis. This in turn caused liver failure. She was rushed from Baptist Hospital in Oxford, MS to Methodist on Tuesday. Due to a non functioning liver and her body rejecting dialysis, she had a massive buildup of ammonia which rendered her brain dead. We removed life support and she passed quickly.
I finished the box and lid with Danish Oil. The finial I left natural but did apply a clear gloss poly.
My father will now wrap his hands around her and care for her through eternity. Table Furniture Coffee table Wood Wood stain
Wood Hardwood Box Plywood Furniture
Furniture Wood Table Hardwood Chest

See less See more
#10 ·
I haven't the words to express my sympathy for you and your family...losing a child is the absolute worst thing that anyone ever has to endure. All I can say is that I'm truly sad for you and yours.
You must have cried a lot of tears making that beautiful box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.