My first project: TV stand - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

View CederWorker's Photo Album My Photos
My first project: TV stand

Bare in mind that I do not lay claim to any professional trade skills here, just a simple guy attempting to create a simple TV stand. I'm one of those 'how does this work? Let's find out by trying' type of men. Because that is fun, right? I do waste more materials that way however I get all the wood from work for free so, oh well. I made up this design in my head and wanted it to be as simple as possible so I wouldn't discourage myself and taint my perspective before I get started.

I decided to use ceder because, well, I had a ton of it sitting around and I sure like the way it looks stained. I wanted a bit of rustic but natural look. I used 2x's for the frame and 1x's for the shelves. I used 3 inch grip-rite coated deck screws to hold the frame, F26 adhesive, wood glue and 2 inch finishing nails for the shelves. I decided not to sand any of it. The 1x's ceder are rough/smooth sided and I choose to put the smooth out. I ran into trouble deciding what the heck to do with shelving, spacing etc. For the moment I only need space for the surround sound reviver and PS3 so I have one shelf divided for that purpose. I left the bottom portion open for really, the lack of a better idea. I suppose I can add a shelf later on if I feel its needed. I wonder if I need to use a polyurethane clear coat on it? I really do not want a shine to it at all 48"Wx27"Hx22"D

Don't worry, I added bracing on the bottom that is not shown in the pictures. It's quite solid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I liked it a lot, right up until the stain pic. Not my preferred look, but then again it's not mine, so great job ;-)

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 3 Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 AM

View Sean G.'s Photo Album My Photos
Great job on it. I like what you did, because I have a TV and an xbox - I was planning to do something similar to this using wood pallets. Love the color too. Nice work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode