Most sad project I've done (PSA inside, if you have pets please read) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By bob493

post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View bob493's Photo Album My Photos
Most sad project I've done (PSA inside, if you have pets please read)

Not really a project Im "proud" of per say, given my time limit and its going to be buried at my lake house on sunday, I didn't really have time to do glue ups and joinery. Woods are 5/4 oak and 5/4 maple with some light curl/flame.

Now the meat and potatoes... My little kitty was 7 years old, very healthy and sprightly; with no prior health issues what so ever. Very loving and I miss him dearly. I've heard about "flea treatments" killing animals, but it was always more of a "this must be an exaggeration" or "the animals had to be unhealthy".

My wife is a foster care psychologist and is around a lot of dirty people and children frequently. (Not trying to be crass, this is just the nature of the beast). One of the children she worked with had a heinous flea infestation, and unfortunately she brought it home. We have a 200 pound (literally) great dane, and 2 wonderful kitties. Bruce (great dane) wound up getting tons of fleas, and my wife had never dealt with fleas before, so she went to the store and bought some Hartz liquid flea treatment. She applied it to him I guess, and within 3 days, eddie wound up dying in my arms. I mean what I say, he was 100% fine the night before he passed. When I woke up the next day, he was super lethargic and was chilly, so I made him a bed in front of an air vent. I went about my business, and a couple hours later he was still laying there. Hes normally on my lap all day, every day. I picked him up and he was quite limp, so I placed him on a comfortable blanket on our spare bed and went and got him wet food. Came back, and opened his food and he wouldnt eat. I had NO IDEA what was going on and started panicking a little. I texted a friend who asked if I had done any flea treatments in the house, and I reluctantly had to say yes. She then showed me all the hartz crap and my heart sunk. In the time it took me to schedule him an emergency trip, he wound up having a seizure and passing away in about 20 minutes. I cant believe how quickly he passed, and I am so angry that this crap is allowed to be on the market. So, long story short -> DO NOT USE HARTZ PRODUCTS.

RIP Eddie :(
mjadams61 and Catpower like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-16-2019, 08:05 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
oh WOW - at first, I thought you were going to tell us about the box you made.
my deepest condolences and thank you for sharing your story.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
The Following User Says Thank You to John Smith_inFL For This Useful Post:
bob493 (11-16-2019)
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
oh WOW - at first, I thought you were going to tell us about the box you made.
my deepest condolences and thank you for sharing your story.

No, ultimately its nothing to "show" at all, just a lapped up box. The whole thing caught us offguard, and I'd really like as many people to know about the hartz stuff as possible. Thank you for the condolences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-16-2019, 04:57 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Sad to lose a fur kid. We had a mixed breed dog that reacted to a liquid flea treatment. Put it down his back and he would rub up against furniture to remove it. We gave him a bath and he was OK. I think we went to a pill from the vet.

Did it say it could be used on cats? Might have had a double dose with the house treatment and the medicine. Have you contacted Hartz Mountain about this?

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Last edited by Pineknot_86; 11-16-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Sad to lose a fur kid. We had a mixed breed dog that reacted to a liquid flea treatment. Put it down his back and he would rub up against furniture to remove it. We gave him a bath and he was OK. I think we went to a pill from the vet.

Did it say it could be used on cats? Have you contacted Hartz Mountain about this?
http://www.hartzvictims.org/

Just says "do not use on cats", which we didnt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode