Mission Style Hall Bench - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Mission Style Hall Bench

Here's my first completed project of the season. A Mission style bench made as a wedding gift for a good friend. They sent a pic and I basically tried to reconstruct what I saw, plus a couple of "liberties" here and there. It's mostly red oak but there are some pieces of "wine vat" QSWO interspersed. There are 36 M&T joints. The 6 pegs are handcut from Sapele. Finish is mix of Minwax Early American and Golden Oak, and Behr's tung oil finish (which is a poly/tung oil mix). It's about 36"w x 15"d overall.

Their original plan was to add a custom made cushion but they weren't 100% positive during the early discussions, and they haven't seen the end result yet....decision pending on that aspect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
Here's my first completed project of the season.
I can't wait to see what the rest of the summer brings! Scott, that is absolutely fantastic work! I've always loved the mission style, and you have definately done it justice. The ray fleck on the right side arm rest (?) and under the seat are amazing! Great job all around.

regards,
smitty
post #3 of 19 Old 05-21-2008, 06:37 PM

View Nancy Laird's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful piece!! Nice work, especially making it from a picture rather than a set of plans. Love that red oak!!!!

Nancy

Nancy and Dave Laird
D&N Specialties
Rio Rancho, NM
David works in the Pro Sales Divison at Woodworker's Supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-20-2011, 01:10 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
scott I found this old thread in a search

Nice work as usual! bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 19 Old 05-20-2011, 04:15 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Nice work as usual! bill
I agree, it's great work and done well. Red Oak is one of my favorites. I missed this one...thanks for the bump.

post #6 of 19 Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 AM

View woodmeistro's Photo Album My Photos
nice work. building my own furniture is why I got into woodworking, I could not afford the quality that I desired so I had to learn to make it and that none of my friends and neighbors can run down to the box furniture store and buy the same piece. and mine is made in America not some small 3rd world country
post #7 of 19 Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 PM

View Wrangler's Photo Album My Photos
I love Mission furniture and got back into woodworking after my wife bought a couple of pieces made by Stickley. I am currently working on a Morris chair. It's my fourth piece of "Craftsman" in the past year.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice. Love the quarter-sawn on the front piece.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM

View MikeS's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful piece. Not only sturdy for long life of service, but has a warmth in character appearance as well.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments gang. It's ironic that this thread popped when it did....the couple I made this for has now been married for 3 years. I haven't seen them in several months, but we've been in touch this week and got together for dinner last night. Couldn't have made it for a nicer couple!
post #11 of 19 Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 PM

View socalgail's Photo Album My Photos
Seeking advice on how I can replicate this finish...

I would like to replicate the finish you have created on this beautiful mission bench. My project is to refinished a modern style solid oak bed frame that is about 40 years old. I have stripped the old finish completely. The wood has some natural amber tones so I think it is red oak. I do not want to darken the wood more than necessary so I would not use any stain. Of course, it is hard to tell when looking at an image on a monitor, but this bench has the warm glow and soft sheen that I want my finished project to have. I am very inexperienced. Do you think I should go for pure tung oil, diluted with mineral spirits and applied in a series of thin, wiped on/wiped off coats or for Behr's tung oil finish which also contains hardeners, i.e. varnish? Thank you!

Quote:
... Finish is mix of Minwax Early American and Golden Oak, and Behr's tung oil finish (which is a poly/tung oil mix).

post #12 of 19 Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

You might get better advice if you posted this in the wood finishing forum so the finishing experts can get involved. I'd post a pic of your project and one of the pics from mine to show what you're looking to do. The color that comes thru my monitor is fairly close to the real thing.

I did use stain....two stains actually. Since this was a mix of red oal and white oak, some of the wood started out with a different hue. I hit some of the pieces with Early American stain, and some with Golden Oak depending on what I thought it needed. Then I blended the two stains together for a second coat of stain prior to adding the clear coat.

Good luck!
post #13 of 19 Old 05-24-2011, 04:33 AM

View socalgail's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you...

Thank you - I think that I may not have the skill (or the time between coats) to try the Behr's product and probably will go with a wipe on poly. This link had some helpful info:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNPDF/011178032.pdf

You may need to subscribe to get the full PDF.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM

View CPNMike's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful

I just came across this and it's beautiful knotscott! I'm building a table and want to have the slats on the bottom like you have here. May I ask how you secured them? Or, if anyone else has some ideas, please chime in. Of course I thought of cutting a rabbet down the length but I don't want a nail/screw holding them down. I don't think just glue would be enough. Or maybe a support piece under the slats and screw them in to that from the bottom. Obviously I have not done this before so I'm just looking for some ideas.

Thanks!
post #15 of 19 Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
I have been beating my head over the wall on how to make a couch for my cat that will go infront of a window in front of our formal dining room.......this is puurrfect for that!

Nice job.....how did you do the vertical slats in the ends? Are they mortised?
post #16 of 19 Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNMike View Post
...May I ask how you secured them? ...
Thanks!
Since they're hidden, I just used glue and countersunk single screws in the end of each slat.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 PM

View Sorrowful Jones's Photo Album My Photos
There is something about oak and mission style furniture. They just go together. You did an outstanding job.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM

View CPNMike's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Since they're hidden, I just used glue and countersunk single screws in the end of each slat.
Thanks for the quick response. You did a fantastic job of hiding those screw holes. I can't see ANY!
post #19 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 PM

View libbycgray's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you for posting these photos. My husband is bugging me for a hall bench for our Arts-and-Crafts house, and this will do beautifully, though I can only hope mine will approximate the quality of yours. Thanks for the design inspiration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode