Live Edge Walnut and Cherry Side Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By mackman

post #1 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

View mackman's Photo Album My Photos
Live Edge Walnut and Cherry Side Table

This piece is special to me, because I harvested the walnut myself: My dad and I were invited to a downed walnut orchard about a year ago, and as we gathered up some big chunks to take to a miller, I also threw a small stump into the back of my car to take home with me. I used a chainsaw to cut this slab out of it, my router sled to smooth it, and my planer to finish the job. (I also bought the cherry rough-cut and planed it myself, which was another first).

I'm REALLY happy with how it's turned out, especially the color of the cherry and how the curves of the legs go with the curves of the top. The walnut grain is "deep" in places too, with a beautiful iridescence. The only thing I would change is making the legs just a little wider: As it is, it's easy to tip over. I found that out too late, at which point any fix would have required a complete do-over. And given the location of the table, it's not going to be kicked or bumped very often, if at all. But we live and learn, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top view.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	337450  

Click image for larger version

Name:	front view.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	337458  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to mackman For This Useful Post:
Woodified (01-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 01:53 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work

To stabilize it better you could add a couple stringers to the base of the legs as wide as the top, and it would look like you planned it that way

There is no app for experience
post #3 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
Nice work

To stabilize it better you could add a couple stringers to the base of the legs as wide as the top, and it would look like you planned it that way
Stringers? A quick google search doesn't make the meaning immediately obvious to me. What would that look like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 06:32 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackman View Post
Stringers? A quick google search doesn't make the meaning immediately obvious to me. What would that look like?

Stringers is a pretty vague description, join two pieces of wood about two inches wide and as long as the top is wide to the bottoms of the legs, it would make it less top heavy

There is no app for experience
post #5 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 08:19 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice and I agree with the stringer suggestion. I've done that before as an afterthought and nobody noticed. Or at least they didn't let on if they did.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

So it would be a piece running across the bottom of each leg width-wise? I might try that, but it might then make the table a bit too high for the spot it was made for.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-27-2018, 12:44 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Fancy!

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-04-2018, 02:06 AM

View Sawdustmaker99's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Very nice and I agree with the stringer suggestion. I've done that before as an afterthought and nobody noticed. Or at least they didn't let on if they did.

David
I make necessary to fix a screw up design changes all the time. Usually Iím the only person that knows.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-26-2018, 08:10 PM

View sanvito's Photo Album My Photos
Nice!
what Finish used? poly on top?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-26-2018, 11:51 PM

View JamesTinKS's Photo Album My Photos
Mackman,

Put the stringer on the side of the leg, not the bottom. On the side, even with the bottom, length the same as the width of the top, thickness to match the thickness of the leg, width of the stringer (top to bottom after it is installed) 2" or so (I would do some fraction of the width of the legs).

JamesTinKS
post #11 of 11 Old 02-27-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanvito View Post
Nice!
what Finish used? poly on top?
Yeah, semi-gloss. I thinned it a bit so that I could wipe it on: It takes a lot longer, but I feel it offers me a lot more control over drips when finishing vertical surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTinKS View Post
Mackman,

Put the stringer on the side of the leg, not the bottom. On the side, even with the bottom, length the same as the width of the top, thickness to match the thickness of the leg, width of the stringer (top to bottom after it is installed) 2" or so (I would do some fraction of the width of the legs).

JamesTinKS
Thanks for the advice! I actually considered that, and I may still do it. It's only tipped a few times, each time as a result of my 2-year-old son trying to climb on it, so right now I think attaching stringers to the side would just result in broken stringers the next time he tries it! :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode